HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
The results so far are worse than my worst estimations. The UCP will have a stranglehold on Alberta for the next 4 years, making us even more the laughing stock of the country than our lunatic conservatives already make us. Goodbye freedoms for sexual minorities, hello rise of hate crimes and child suicide rates. *thunderous applause*
Prepare for BC-Alberta relations to hit an all time low. Good grief.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 3:41 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

The Liberals are officially fighting with the Alberta Independence Party to see who can get above 1% of the vote.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 4:00 AM
HVAC guru

I think one thing we can agree on is that Alison Redford and Jim Prentice were obviously the worst Premiers in Alberta history

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 5:21 AM

I'm just happy that it's over.
Are going insane.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 5:33 AM

Quote:
The results so far are worse than my worst estimations. The UCP will have a stranglehold on Alberta for the next 4 years, making us even more the laughing stock of the country than our lunatic conservatives already make us. Goodbye freedoms for sexual minorities, hello rise of hate crimes and child suicide rates. *thunderous applause*
By years end the rest of the country will be conservative so I guess we can all fear monger together and look forward to similar times like when the conservatives where in power during the mid 2000s and members of the LGBTQ community where being beat in the streets and children where lining up to jump off bridges.

Last edited by kel; Apr 17, 2019 at 5:35 AM. Reason: Spelling

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 6:33 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel View Post
By years end the rest of the country will be conservative so I guess we can all fear monger together and look forward to similar times like when the conservatives where in power during the mid 2000s and members of the LGBTQ community where being beat in the streets and children where lining up to jump off bridges.
Members of the LGBTQ community were being beat in the streets in the mid 2000s... like quite often. They still are in Alberta, and the frequency of that is obviously about to increase due to the election of a known anti-gay bigot who spent his entire career fighting against the rights and freedoms of sexual minorities. This kind of thing always emboldens lunatics on the right. And if you're arguing that the UCPuke's campaign promise of outing vulnerable gay children to their parents won't increase suicide rates once many of them get kicked out of their homes or sent to abusive conversion therapy, then you are a moron and this conversation can't go anywhere.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 6:56 AM

Quote:
Members of the LGBTQ community were being beat in the streets in the mid 2000s... like quite often. They still are in Alberta, and the frequency of that is obviously about to increase due to the election of a known anti-gay bigot who spent his entire career fighting against the rights and freedoms of sexual minorities. This kind of thing always emboldens lunatics on the right. And if you're arguing that the UCPuke's campaign promise of outing vulnerable gay children to their parents won't increase suicide rates once many of them get kicked out of their homes or sent to abusive conversion therapy, then you are a moron and this conversation can't go anywhere.
I’m lgbt myself and if I were in alberta I’d be getting ready to pack my bags and leave.

Absolutely sickening what Jason kenneys party has been getting away with.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 12:00 PM
DRINK

What a night!

Not only a clear mandate that we Albertans put the economy #1, but very obvious rejection of the NDP which clearly shows that 2015 was a mistake.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 2:05 PM

70%

Congrats to Alberta, voter turnout is being touted as 70% up from 57% in the last election, highest voter turnout since 1975.

Congrats to the UCP and Jason Kenny on an overwhelming victory.

ND’s need to look in the mirror, they made a colossal mistake with their “smear and fear” campaign, they dropped in percentage of the vote, dropped in number of seats by more than half, lost government.

Edmonton, offside with the rest of Alberta again, look for a UCP blue wave in the capital in 4 years if history repeats itself.

Liberals and AP get wiped out by polarized electorate, the fringe parties are the real victims of the ND’s smear and fear campaign.

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 2:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
Congrats to Alberta, voter turnout is being touted as 70% up from 57% in the last election, highest voter turnout since 1975.

Congrats to the UCP and Jason Kenny on an overwhelming victory.
If you just count the two major cities, the NDP had both a higher seat count and a higher proportion of the popular vote.

The rural areas, however, made it overwhelming, as you've noted, for Jason Kenney's UCP. I think policy proposals such as blocking the flood mitigation project for Calgary really put him over the top.

Indeed, congratulations.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 2:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
The Liberals are officially fighting with the Alberta Independence Party to see who can get above 1% of the vote.
yeah - I noticed that also. I thought David Khan actually performed pretty well during the campaigning debates and forums, but it fell off a cliff after him. But even in his own electoral district he performed pretty badly on the vote count. I think his suggestion of dropping all income tax till like $50K or so, while introducing a sales tax, is actually a good idea. Unless another party picks up that train of though, it won't go anywhere.

Last edited by suburbia; Apr 17, 2019 at 2:40 PM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 3:02 PM

Wow. I certainly didn't expect Calgary to look like Edmonton, but there is a lot more dark blue on that map where I might have at least expected light blue. It still amazes me how conservative Calgary often votes for being a city of its size.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
I think one thing we can agree on is that Alison Redford and Jim Prentice were obviously the worst Premiers in Alberta history
They might have competition soon!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
If you just count the two major cities, the NDP had both a higher seat count and a higher proportion of the popular vote.

The rural areas, however, made it overwhelming, as you've noted, for Jason Kenney's UCP. I think policy proposals such as blocking the flood mitigation project for Calgary really put him over the top.

Indeed, congratulations.
More SEATS in the cities? What are you smoking Sub? The ND’s lost 11 seats in Calgary, 2 in Red Deer, 1 in Lethbridge and 1 in Edmonton.

Before

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...lection-season

After

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/elec.../2019/results/

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 3:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciudad_del_norte View Post
Wow. I certainly didn't expect Calgary to look like Edmonton, but there is a lot more dark blue on that map where I might have at least expected light blue. It still amazes me how conservative Calgary often votes for being a city of its size.
I haven't seen a map where it shows how resounding a win was by the shade or blue or orange. Do you have a link?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
I can't.

Prentice was kinda just there when the PC time ran out.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 3:33 PM
HVAC guru

^^ Yes we shall see. For me personally, I'm not too worried about it, the only issue I have is with a potential battle with BC, but I believe BC is far more resilient than Alberta and the threats made are nothing more than symbolic sabre rattling that will achieve absolutely nothing beyond hurt feelings and animosity.

It'll be interesting to see what this means for Edmonton. I do hope that the upcoming fiscal restraint puts an end to these ridiculous pet projects like gondolas and parks on top of bridges and such. The impact on the local economy is yet to be seen. Edmonton is a government town and you can bet that there will be a lot of belt tightening in the government.

In spite of the outcome, it's great to see such a voter turnout, which, regardless of the result is important I think. Also, I am glad to see such clear cut results without all the vote splitting. I like decisiveness, no matter which way things go. As a project manager in construction, I always believed that even making a bad decision is better than not making a decision at all.

And finally we'll see if Kenney can keep the right held together. It's as factitious group as the left and there will be little appetite for some of the shenanigans that some on the right are pushing for. If they can't hold it together then the UCP could very well be the 2nd 1 term government in Alberta.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 3:37 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemike View Post
I can't.

Prentice was kinda just there when the PC time ran out.
My comment was more to the point that things must have been so bad back in 2015 that the electorate was willing to make such a drastic change, only to change back with gusto once the situation improved.

But yes Prentice was a bit of a fall guy. Also a spineless coward for abandoning his seat. At least Notley has the integrity to stay on & represent her riding.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 4:21 PM

I will give the UCP a chance, I expect to see numerous projects canceled in the next month. but I don't see the oil patch getting the results they are hoping for.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 5:11 PM

If nothing else it will be nice to actually have a fairly effective opposition. Conservative governments in AB have typically gotten away with pretty much whatever they wanted with little critique or interest. Especially when there is lots of money floating around. Unsurprisingly many of the strongest NDP MLAs did maintain their seats and their numbers are enough have a role/voice. The UCP may be able to pass whatever legislation they want, but will be much more subject to focused criticism than our previous conservative governments.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia