HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 10:45 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
This is not the same comparison. Hardberger and Castro are nothing alike; you were just going to vote based on age. If they were similar and said the same things, would your tie-breaker have been age?

Kyle said if two were equal, the tie-breaker would be place of residence. His way of flipping the coin.
I understand that completely, when it's too close to call, there's going to be a tie breaker, but just like in 05 when Hardberger and Castro were neither equal neither are Castro and Deberry equal.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Or she maybe thought people would get on her for not using it. People probably would have called her out for not being proud of her husbands surname or something foolish like that. It was basically lose-lose for her.
There's merit to that. But that doesn't resolve the timing issue for me. It's known by some that she was 'drafted' to run by the business community that was scared to death of a Casto or Cibrian administration. In the past, it was probably a sound business decision; she had been known professionally as DeBerry before she was married. She's run numerous successful issue and candidate campaigns in San Antonio over the last decade (she's lost her fair share of them, too) so she's well versed in the art of politics. I've done some media consulting and planning for a couple of Bexar County races in the last five years (DeBerry has a lot more under her belt than I do. She also can and does charge a lot more for her services, lol). In a case like this, I'd have advised her to run as DeBerry to avoid the appearance of pandering to the Hispanic community. If asked about her married name, she could easily say that she's proud of it, but in her entire professional career she's used DeBerry and didn't want it to appear that she was using her Hispanic last name for political purposes. If she insisted on running as DeBerry-Mejia, I would have advised her to have it put on the legal documents and change the company name to reflect it. Sure there would be a cost to it, but it demonstrates to the voters that she's 'all in'. At any rate, if she loses, watch how quickly Mejia disappears into history. She'll be back to DeBerry in no time.

I also forgot to mention that I'm not quite sure how Cibiran is supposed to be in-touch with the community as a whole when she lives in a gated community. Granted, the neighborhood is not all that exclusive, and Hardberger is a millionaire several times over and has done a good job for all San Antonians. But how many San Antonians live in gated communities? It does send a message. Who knows if it will even get brought up though.
"We marched five leagues over a fine country with broad plains, the most beautiful in all of New Spain. We camped on the banks of an arroyo. This I called San Antonio de Padua, because we reached it on the day of his festival." - General Domingo Teran de los Rios, June 13, 1691, in a letter to the King of Spain on the occasion of the founding of San Antonio.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 4:35 PM

This has nothing to do with transportation but I found a story, on MLS-daily.com, that mentioned the mayoral race as a reason SA might be back in the MLS race.

Quote:
San Antonio Back In Expansion Race?

As one of Texas’ Major League Soccer teams struggles to remain viable in the face of poor results on the field and even worse ones in the stands, another city in the Lone Star State could be stepping back into the debate on future MLS expansion. San Antonio, the city that flirted with landing a team of their own back in 2005, could again be throwing their name back into the ring, depending on the outcome of the upcoming mayoral election. read more...
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 5:37 PM

Pursuing MLS would be an excellent idea. If SA wants to get more pro sports, they're gonna have to focus on getting some of the smaller leagues first, like MLS or AFL. If the city can show support for a second-tier team, in time the NFL and MLB will start taking notice.

Its also a much better expansion proposition from the city's point of view because it requires much less financial investment to land an MLS team and build a stadium than it would to land an NFL team and build a new stadium. Plus, as the article mentions, the Alamodome would have a tenant for a couple of years, and then be vacated for a new stadium just in time for UTSA football to take over at the 'dome.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 8:44 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

MLS would be perfect.

And the Alamodome might even work as a semi-permanent home.
Look at what Vancouver is planning on doing with their huge, empty dome to accomodate an MLS team.

http://football.ballparks.com/CFL/BC/interior.jpg

http://www.bcplacestadium.com/newsre...ision_2011.jpg

full presentation here: http://www.bcplacestadium.com/vision2011.shtml

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 8:47 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

^^ that is the same stadium, only with the roof removed and with a semi-transparent awning covering the seating sections (and hiding the empty upper level).

a really clever idea to re-use an otherwise crummy space.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 9:03 PM

I also think that MLS would be a good here. The "all or nothing" attitude for the NFL just hasn't worked so far. If we can show that we can support an MLS team and put up some strong attendance numbers (more than the Rampage games) then, like the article suggests, NFL or MLB might take a closer look. Either way, as optimistic as I am, I expect SA to land MLB or NFL by 2020.
If it were up to me, I'd raze some warehouses in the 5-points area, or use the VIA bus lot (unless the HDRC finds that historical too); build there then let the Stadium be worked into the BRT line. Anything but by the AT&T Center.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 9:23 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Am I crazy or would Alamo Stadium work as a prime redevelopment site for an MLS team.

If some crazy deal could be worked out with SAISD giving up ownership, rehabbing that bad boy woul dbe perfect. Footprint is big enough to accomodate 25,000 (already seats 13,000). Updating the amenities is very doable (concessions, restrooms, suites) and everyone benefits - including those of us who would like to see a stadium near downtown.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2009, 11:14 PM

I was thinking the same thing, although I can only imagine the amount of opposition.
Maybe RK Group and the Metro Clinic over by St. Paul Square could serve as a good spot as well. The parking is there and can be shared with the Dome. Perhaps some retail along Commerce; a fan gift shop, a restaurant, etc. to keep the area lively in the offseason.
For those that are interested: I lived in DC while they were talking of building the Nationals Ballpark and here is an informational site showing the before and afters, demo'd buildings and also what the area is eventually going to look like. Navy Yard was an old run down area like the inner east side warehouse district (or any warehouse area near downtown) I know the demographics and density is a little different, but if any of this coincides with River North infill, just imagine the possibilities.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 7:29 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

The original article that touches on each mayoral candidates thoughts on MLB, NFL, MLS and various other sports issues...

Original article:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/c...andidates.html

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 9:55 PM

Not that I'm really saying this to suggest anything, but Kansas City is building a stadium for their MLS team, the Wizards, at the site of an abandoned mall on the East Side. Thought that was kind of interesting, considering SA is also reinventing an abandoned mall near its East Side.

I'm with the rest of you, though, build a stadium as close to downtown as possible. If the Alamodome and ATT Center haven't revived the East side after 25 and 6 years, respectively, then it won't be a soccer stadium that pushes things over the top.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2009, 11:46 PM
Bears of antiquity

MLS is great. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

via Aimee Hossler

Imagine the TotA in San Antonio (soccer team name) colors.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 1:06 AM

What about this piece of land (plus surrounding property) for a 15,000-30,000 seat stadium

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...k&z=18&iwloc=A

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 1:29 AM

That looks like it could work, as long as it was underground parking or if the development across 35/10 at the Old Stockyards would include mass public parking. It could be open to the "creek" area since they are planning on revamping those now.
This would definitely be good for that area. I always thought the Nogalitos/DT corridor had tons of potential and a Stadium in conjunction with the Stockyard development might be a good bookend with Kelly Towne Center on the other end of the corridor.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 5:32 PM
Bears of antiquity

It can't be too close to a residential area, though-- just remember that. I can hear the noise from Safeco and Qwest Field all the way up here in Belltown during games. For yesterday's opener, a dull roar like a people wave filled the air.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2009, 6:46 PM

I was thinking maybe buy up all those homes on the northeast corner.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2009, 1:21 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/S...wAllComments=y

San Antonio could be in line for a USL soccer team.

For those following, USL teams are becoming a necassary stepping stone to get an MLS team these days.

Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver all leveraged the support for USL to prove their worthiness for MLS.

Alamo FC...

Old Posted Apr 18, 2009, 2:17 PM

The good news is that Spurs Sports and Entertainment is involved.
The bad news is that they are involved and this would mean a stadium near the AT&T center.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2009, 1:53 AM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
The good news is that Spurs Sports and Entertainment is involved.
The bad news is that they are involved and this would mean a stadium near the AT&T center.
near the att center is good news...as long as a light rail line is involved.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2009, 10:41 PM

If they're going after soccer, it has to be MLS. It makes no sense to go from the MLS basically a lock for SA in 2005 to trying to go after the second rate league.

MLS wants to be in SA and if SA wants pro soccer, there is no logically sense in going after USL.

I think this has to do with SS&E/Holt wanting to go after something cheap.

If SS&E wants to expand their portfolio, adding MLS would be ten times better than adding USL.

If Bexar is serious about building a Philly like sports complex, starting small with a MLS stadium is the way to go.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio