HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 8:28 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

{SA} Mayoral hopeful wants to speed better transportation

When she initially threw her hat into the race, I wasn't sure about voting for her but the more she speaks the more I like what she says. She's getting my vote.

Quote:
Mayoral hopeful wants to speed better transportation

Trish DeBerry-Mejia says San Antonio leaders must understand that the city’s economic future is tied directly to its ability to move people in an efficient manner.

Expedited work on a comprehensive transportation plan is essential, the mayoral candidate insists, to prevent the nation’s seventh largest city from losing economic opportunities and human capital to competing markets.

San Antonio does not presently have light rail, commuter rail or even bus rapid transit. To date, the city’s only public transit option is the bus.

VIA Metropolitan Transit, operators of San Antonio’s public bus fleet, will receive $31.2 million in stimulus money from the federal government as part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009.

When asked recently how that $31.2 million will help address San Antonio’s transportation woes, Alamo Regional Mobility Authority Executive Director Terry Brechtel said: “This doesn’t make a dent toward solving our congestion problems.”

DeBerry-Mejia says transportation is San Antonio’s “most critical” issue.

“We are way behind the curve,” she says. “We have to get people out of the cars and offer some transportation solutions.”

Why is San Antonio so far behind other Texas cities when it comes to rail?

DeBerry-Mejia says one reason is that San Antonio suffered a key setback nearly a decade ago when city leaders were unable to muster enough voter support for a light-rail proposal.

That proposal, she says, lacked sufficient public involvement.

“After 2000,” DeBerry-Mejia explains, “I think we sort of lost the political will to get (light rail) done. But we are at a critical juncture now.”

What happens if San Antonio does not become more aggressive and implement a more comprehensive transportation plan?

“We’re not going to evolve as a city,” DeBerry-Mejia insists. “We’re not going to attract new businesses and we’re not going to keep young professionals here.”

Urban cores

DeBerry-Mejia’s support base includes San Antonio banker and business leader Tom Frost.

“I feel she knows this city and understands what we need,” Frost says. “She has a real vision for San Antonio.”

Part of that vision, supporters say, includes more focus on San Antonio’s inner city challenges and opportunities.

“We need a concentrated focus on in-fill development in the urban core of this city,” DeBerry-Mejia says. “We have to look at creative solutions.”

The center of that urban core is downtown, which DeBerry-Mejia says deserves more attention from city leaders.

While developers have created more opportunities for people to live downtown, DeBerry-Mejia says a lack of supporting retail remains an issue.

“City Manager (Sheryl) Sculley is very interested in what we can do ... to enhance downtown,” DeBerry-Mejia explains. “If we expect people to live downtown ... then we need more retail.”

There are challenges and opportunities in other parts of the inner city, too. DeBerry-Mejia says the East Side is an example of where local leaders may have lost some political will but where there is now an opportunity to leverage new development at Fort Sam Houston into improved infrastructure and housing stock for the area surrounding the Army post.

DeBerryMejia says city officials could also work with educational leaders to address shrinking enrollment at the East Side’s Sam Houston High School by possibly converting it into a magnate school — perhaps focusing on manufacturing.

Just north of downtown sits a historic outdoor amphitheater, which is owned by the city but has suffered from years of neglect. DeBerry-Mejia says Sunken Garden Theater represents a “tremendous opportunity” and a public “treasure” that, with improvements, could lure more people into the area for a variety of entertainment events. She says it could also serve as a “terrific complement” to the city’s river extension project.

Budget concerns

Transportation and in-fill development are two areas where DeBerry-Mejia believes she can make an impact as mayor. But she says whoever succeeds outgoing Mayor Phil Hardberger will have the distraction of a national recession.

While San Antonio has so far been spared from the worst effects of the economic downturn, it has suffered some cuts and bruises and there are concerns about the impact all of this could have on future city budgets.

“The first thing we are going to have to deal with is the budget, and it’s not going to be a cake walk for whoever gets in,” DeBerry-Mejia says. “We’ve got a city manager talking about hiring freezes and shoring up departments.”

The situation could worsen before there is any light at the end of the tunnel.

“I think it could become very tough,” DeBerry-Mejia says. “We already have property tax revenue that’s way down. Builders are not moving their inventory the way they once did, and we have a foreclosure problem. Then you have sales tax revenue that is down more than anticipated.”

DeBerry-Mejia is president of and a partner in GDC, a San Antonio marketing agency located downtown. Some critics, citing layoffs at DeBerry-Mejia’s agency, have criticized her management capabilities.

DeBerry-Mejia says the cuts were very tough to make but were fiscally necessary. She says the experience gained in running a business will only help her navigate the city through some choppy waters.

“The next couple of years are going to be difficult,” DeBerry-Mejia predicts. “I think a practical business skill set is going to be very important.”

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 2:17 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

She is sort of known as a panderer. She'll say what needs to be said to whoever needs to hear it. Not saying that she isn't serious here, but that is the reputation.

Also, she doesn't exactly live in the urban core.

(From http://bcad.org, here is her appraised home value from a neighborhood on Bitters between Blanco and 281.)

2008 $555,710
DEBERRY PATRICIA D &
CARLOS MEJIA
13903 BLUFF IVEY LN
SAN ANTONIO, TX 78216

Map

Compare that to...

Inside 410 about a 1 1/2 miles from Jefferson HS...

2008 $130,940
CASTRO JULIAN
715 E SUNSHINE DR
SAN ANTONIO, TX 78228-2516

Map

I looked for Diane Cibrian but couldn't find anything that I could confirm was tied to her name...

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 3:06 PM
James

I've also read Julian's goals on his official page and I liked what I heard from him. But she sounds awesome too, but if what you say is correct Kyle then I don't know who to vote for.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 3:09 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

I don't have a firm opinion on who to vote for either.

I just happen to be the skeptic that knows that a PR/Marketing exec knows how to sell herself to whomever is asking. Doesn't exactly set her apart from politicians in the credibility department.

What I would love to see is a downtown resident running for mayor. Combine that with Sculley (who lives at La Cascada) and we'd have some real momentum.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 3:54 PM
Bears of antiquity

Well, everyone is adding Light Rail to their platform. Interesting!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 5:04 PM

She doesn't really say anything unique or unprecedented here, and I agree that its tough to take someone from marketing at their word when they're "selling" something, including themselves. However, her living in the 216 shouldn't disqualify her, as that isn't exactly Spring Branch. That's the same zip as the airport, after all.

This should be an interesting race, although my preference would be to just keep Hardberger around.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 4:19 PM
Bears of antiquity

I miss Wolff.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 5:14 PM

I don't even live in San Antonio, but I'm very interested in what is happening downtown. I don't think where Trish DeBerry-Mejia resides should be an issue. The pandering-if it's even true-is an issue.

I pay property tax to Bexar County and SAISD, you think I should be able to vote?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schertz1 View Post
I don't even live in San Antonio, but I'm very interested in what is happening downtown. I don't think where Trish DeBerry-Mejia resides should be an issue. The pandering-if it's even true-is an issue.

I pay property tax to Bexar County and SAISD, you think I should be able to vote?
But you can, for the SAISD school board and Bexar county commissioners.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 6:14 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schertz1 View Post

I think we'd be naive to think that where a candidate lives is irrelevant as an issue.

I can learn a lot about a candidate's lifestyle and community values based on residence.

A downtown dweller would obviously have different personal convictions and preferences than a suburbanite. To dismiss that is irresponsible.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
She is sort of known as a panderer. She'll say what needs to be said to whoever needs to hear it. Not saying that she isn't serious here, but that is the reputation.

Also, she doesn't exactly live in the urban core.

(From http://bcad.org, here is her appraised home value from a neighborhood on Bitters between Blanco and 281.)

2008 $555,710
DEBERRY PATRICIA D &
CARLOS MEJIA
13903 BLUFF IVEY LN
SAN ANTONIO, TX 78216

Map

Compare that to...

Inside 410 about a 1 1/2 miles from Jefferson HS...

2008 $130,940
CASTRO JULIAN
715 E SUNSHINE DR
SAN ANTONIO, TX 78228-2516

Map

I looked for Diane Cibrian but couldn't find anything that I could confirm was tied to her name...
Found under David J.

2008 $371,680
SYLVIA DIANE GONZALEZ
13403 HEIGHTS LANE DR
SAN ANTONIO, TX 78230-5841

Map
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Last edited by miaht82; Apr 6, 2009 at 8:31 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 8:13 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
Found under David J.

2008 $371,680
SYLVIA DIANE GONZALEZ
13403 HEIGHTS LANE DR
SAN ANTONIO, TX 78230-5841

map
good find.

i think, to clarify a little, that location of permanent residence can work as a tie-breaker of sorts for me.

if two candidates have similar views and spout similar rhetoric, i will instictively trust the one who lives a lifestyle more like my own.

ed garza being my neighbor makes him an interesting political candidate to me. you think he doesn't understand my concerns/problems/isseus? he gets a majority of them simply because we share an alley. so when he runs for school district (or whatever is next) i'll probably vote for him. he represents my lifestyle and my interests (which like everyone else I believe are in the best interest of the community).

julian castro went to high school a mile away and still lives close. if he and the other candidates are otherwise equal, wouldn't his proximity to me and shared lifestyle experiences give him the edge?

in that sense, and considering the residences and desired residences of most people on this forum, i cannot see how i would support a suburban candidate without overwhelming evidence that his/her ideals and vision for the city was vastly superior to the more urban candidate.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 8:38 PM

This is just my opinion so don't get upset.

But I think judging the any of candidate's intentions or on the location of their residences is BS, bordering elitism.

I mean, I love downtown and would like nothing more than for prosper and growth smartly. But if I were running for Mayor and said those things you'd be calling me out too because I don't live downtown.

Heck, I think for the most part all of the SA posters here who advocate for smart growth downtown and so on don't actually live "downtown" some closer than others.

Then there's the reason. Does Debarry not live near the urban core because she has no interest or dislikes urban living or because she's married with children and well, she resides where children can have friends and yards and nice schools, etc.

I know these people are politicians and for the most part they'll pander and pander and pander to get votes. I am not ignorant of that but here's the thing, in 2005 when Hardberger first put his name into the hat I wrote him off because of his age. I completely wrote him off. I forgot to vote for the Mayor the first time and lucky enough Hardberger was able to go into a runoff with Castro and that's when I began listening to what Hardberger had to say, guess what, the old man had me stunned, he said all the right things and made me believe he'd be a good Mayor. I voted for him in the run off and he won. I think it's safe to say he's been one of the best Mayors in San Antonio history.

I judged that man on his age and was dead serious on not voting for him until I listened to what he said.

Basically what I'm saying is, someone who's pandering is just going to say they can do this and they can do that, promise you the world if you vote for them. That's pandering imo. When Debarry offers up a solution to a problem (more retail for downtown) instead of "I will bring residents downtown." that tells me she at least cares enough to look into why downtown has a small population.

Just my two cents.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 8:42 PM

Quote:
julian castro went to high school a mile away and still lives close. if he and the other candidates are otherwise equal, wouldn't his proximity to me and shared lifestyle experiences give him the edge?
I don't believe so. That was like me thinking a much younger and closer to my age Castro would have been a better Mayor than the much older and different era candidate, Hardberger. I thought Castro was more in tuned with me because of the smaller age difference. It's judging a book by its cover instead of its context.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 9:09 AM

Quote:
....I just happen to be the skeptic that knows that a PR/Marketing exec knows how to sell herself to whomever is asking....
Any business owner had better be able to sell themselves to whomever is asking or they won't be in business very long. Don't throw just the PR & Marketing execs under the bus.

I'm still undecided. I get the vibe from hearing him speak that Castro feels entitled to it. I'm bothered by DeBerry's new-found love and use of her Hispanic married last name. (it's good enough to run for mayor on, but not good enough to use professionally and in her company name, or as we saw above, use on legal documents as in the title to her home) I'm not Hispanic, but it offends me as opportunistic and pandering. Like she's doing it to curry favor with Latinos who might not vote for her on her merits, because she's Anglo. I wanna see her use of Mejia prior to 2008 and I'd be more comfortable with voting for her.

Cibrian is last on my list. She seems shady. Like how she won't use her former last name of Gonzalez. I wonder if it has something to do with the publicity she got a decade ago as Gonzalez when she filed a sexual harassment lawsuit against (I think) the then head of VIA. I don't remember the specifics (the specific allegations, if she won or if it settled out of court) but I do remember she walked away with a mountain of money.
"We marched five leagues over a fine country with broad plains, the most beautiful in all of New Spain. We camped on the banks of an arroyo. This I called San Antonio de Padua, because we reached it on the day of his festival." - General Domingo Teran de los Rios, June 13, 1691, in a letter to the King of Spain on the occasion of the founding of San Antonio.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 3:06 PM
Bears of antiquity

Is it sad that I've only ever rooted for folks from 08?

Everyone else, eh, I vote the way the city does. Well, voted.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 3:54 PM
James

That's very well said Derek, the more and more you post about her, even though its only two, I trust your opinion. The more I'm prone to vote for her.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
I don't believe so. That was like me thinking a much younger and closer to my age Castro would have been a better Mayor than the much older and different era candidate, Hardberger. I thought Castro was more in tuned with me because of the smaller age difference. It's judging a book by its cover instead of its context.

This is not the same comparison. Hardberger and Castro are nothing alike; you were just going to vote based on age. If they were similar and said the same things, would your tie-breaker have been age?

Kyle said if two were equal, the tie-breaker would be place of residence. His way of flipping the coin.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 7:20 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
This is not the same comparison. Hardberger and Castro are nothing alike; you were just going to vote based on age. If they were similar and said the same things, would your tie-breaker have been age?

Kyle said if two were equal, the tie-breaker would be place of residence. His way of flipping the coin.
thanks, miaht.

he is exactly right. my tie-breaker is urban residential proximity. nothing more.

"elitist" as i may seem, i am not biased against people based on residential address.

working at nustar, i have seen some great initiatives come out of the company's charitable arm. many of those are downtown in the haven for hope. many more are near the executive's residences outside of 1604 in the dominion area. simple proximity dictates that.

as nustar continues to go through the process of establishing a local HQ campus site, I have no doubt that the downtown area is VERY low on the list. why? no executives live downtown. corporate housing stock drives both investment areas and hq sites. none of them are faced with urban blight on a daily basis and so none of them feel a burning passion to help alleviate it.

similarly, i can safely assume that sheryl sculley's residence in downtown makes her acutely aware of downtown issues and boosts our efforts to grow and improve the area.

the good news is that whoever is elected mayor will work downtown and will have no choice but to be connected to the life and heart of the city. and it seems as if they all have a grasp on the importance of catching our public transport system up with the modern world.

but if it seems a little to close to call...

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXlifeguard View Post
I'm bothered by DeBerry's new-found love and use of her Hispanic married last name. (it's good enough to run for mayor on, but not good enough to use professionally and in her company name, or as we saw above, use on legal documents as in the title to her home) I'm not Hispanic, but it offends me as opportunistic and pandering. Like she's doing it to curry favor with Latinos who might not vote for her on her merits, because she's Anglo. I wanna see her use of Mejia prior to 2008 and I'd be more comfortable with voting for her.
Or she maybe thought people would get on her for not using it. People probably would have called her out for not being proud of her husbands surname or something foolish like that. It was basically lose-lose for her.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio