HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 6:33 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

[SA] In '08, San Antonio could outperform state economy wise

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...n.4f41233.html

Quote:
S.A. economy keeps chugging along

Web Posted: 01/14/2008 07:48 PM CST

William Pack
Express-News Business Writer

Strong commercial construction activity and the first strides in a planned multibillion-dollar expansion of the city's military facilities should keep San Antonio's dependable record of economic growth going this year.

The growth may not be as strong as it was in 2007 or the prior two years. But it should outpace other cities slammed by the national housing slump and could outperform the state as a whole, experts said.

Keith Phillips, senior economist with the San Antonio office of the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, said the performance should reinforce the area's reputation as one that does not hit the heights during booms or fall significantly during recessions. It maintains a steady pace.

"I expect 2008 (growth) to be down from 2007, but still positive — consistent with a growing, moderately paced economy," Phillips said.

Steve Nivin, chief economist with the city's Economic Development Department, said he believes the San Antonio economy will perform "fairly well," with employment growth of 2 percent or slightly more.

"I don't see anything that sets off alarms," Nivin said.

What most interested local officials last year was the fate of an omnibus spending plan that contained $7.2 billion for military base redevelopment activity already authorized by Congress. Part of that would fund up to $1 billion worth of improvements for bases in San Antonio, or about half of the spending projected for San Antonio as a result of the most recent base closure and realignment process.

Officials had hoped to put $1 billion in projects under contract by March. That would be 10 times the normal amount of military spending in San Antonio and one of the largest military construction programs ever undertaken in the city. Included would be improvements at Brooke Army Medical Center and Wilford Hall Medical Center, including new dormitories for the 9,000 medical students who would train in San Antonio.

Mayor Phil Hardberger said the projects would constitute "quite a boom for San Antonio."

Officials also are keeping their fingers crossed that San Antonio will be selected by the Homeland Security Department as the site for a $500 million lab studying deadly agricultural diseases. That decision is not expected until late in the year, but Nivin believes the city has a good shot at getting it.

Military officials won't be the only ones looking for construction cranes and workers this year. The commercial construction sector also could soar, with major retail, office space and industrial projects in the works.

"It's a very positive outlook for 2008, not just because of what is being developed, but demand is also keeping pace with supply," said Kimberly Gatley, who tracks commercial activity as a senior vice president at NAI REOC Partners.

The relocation of Rackspace Managed Hosting to Windsor Park Mall, which will bring an expansion of jobs, should bolster high-tech prospects. Tourism, which could feel the pinch of high fuel prices, will get a big boost from the NCAA Final Four men's basketball tournament in April and the new Rock 'n' Roll Marathon, which has drawn more than 21,000 competitors to other cities.

Farmers and ranchers, though concerned by an impasse over the new farm bill, were hoping that strong prices for crops and livestock would continue this year.

Phillips, at the Federal Reserve, said he foresees the energy sector in the state growing strongly during the year, but high-tech activities slowing if consumer spending weakens.

The retail sector held up well in San Antonio last year and may fall off some in 2008, the economist said. If energy prices increase more than has been forecast, the drop-off could be steep.

"The consumer can only do so much," Phillips said.

But he said the area's employment outlook should stay strong, with low unemployment and job growth only about a half-point below last year's 2.7 percent growth rate.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 6:19 PM

Awesome!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 9:34 PM
passion for patterns

'economically wise'?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 12:48 AM

Is that really all you had to contribute to this thread? If so, you should have even bothered hitting the 'post reply' button.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 1:49 AM

All of Texas' top four cities (Houston, DFW, Austin, and SA), have seen an increase in housing prices.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 3:18 AM

can we at least get a good for you maybe???? lol

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 3:46 AM
constructor extrodinaire!

I think its funny that this forum has become a somewhat competition between the major cities of Texas. Each vying for biggest, boldest, youngest, etc... Its almost like they've taken on human Identities. It's all TEXAS...who gives a flying rats ass... Pretty much all of Texas can be considered the shit...I mean really! I f-ing love every part of this state and am going to have one hell of a time trying to figure out which city I want to live in after college, bc they all are so unique and awesome in their own ways!

Sorry...I was feeling inspired tonight!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 3:50 AM
passion for patterns

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Is that really all you had to contribute to this thread? If so, you should have even bothered hitting the 'post reply' button.
sorry, as a Texan I feel it's important that we don't appear stupid, so I just pointed out that 'economically wise' isn't correct.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeiter View Post
sorry, as a Texan I feel it's important that we don't appear stupid, so I just pointed out that 'economically wise' isn't correct.
Yes I know it's incorrect. Reason being I had typed one title but then decided to add on without correcting word usage but never noticed until today when it was too late to change it on the front page. Again, if that was all you had to contribute, no use in posting at all.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
I think its funny that this forum has become a somewhat competition between the major cities of Texas. Each vying for biggest, boldest, youngest, etc... Its almost like they've taken on human Identities. It's all TEXAS...who gives a flying rats ass... Pretty much all of Texas can be considered the shit...I mean really! I f-ing love every part of this state and am going to have one hell of a time trying to figure out which city I want to live in after college, bc they all are so unique and awesome in their own ways!

Sorry...I was feeling inspired tonight!
Is it odd that I just started crying??? lol

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 5:16 AM
Meh

Exclamation

Fixed it. By the way, there's nothing wrong with being economically wise.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Yes I know it's incorrect. Reason being I had typed one title but then decided to add on without correcting word usage but never noticed until today when it was too late to change it on the front page. Again, if that was all you had to contribute, no use in posting at all.
He was just helping you correct the title page. Not a big deal. And I agree with texboy.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
He was just helping you correct the title page. Not a big deal. And I agree with texboy.
Of course it's no big deal if someone's trying to help correct some type of grammar error, the part that gets me is in the smart ass way he goes about doing it. He couldn't PM to let me know the obvious? He couldn't of just ignored one misused word in the title and added something of worth instead? But it's done with, so it should have been dropped a long time ago, why you bring it up after a MOD was nice enough to fix the "awful" error is pointless.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 10:27 PM

I'm thinking the grammar is still not up to snuff. May I suggest...

San Antonio economy could outperform other cities in Texas.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Of course it's no big deal if someone's trying to help correct some type of grammar error, the part that gets me is in the smart ass way he goes about doing it. He couldn't PM to let me know the obvious? He couldn't of just ignored one misused word in the title and added something of worth instead? But it's done with, so it should have been dropped a long time ago, why you bring it up after a MOD was nice enough to fix the "awful" error is pointless.

Chill.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 5:49 AM

These types of articles are business page filler for slow days. They could have easily written an article that says "may not keep" as opposed to "keeps". All local papers write these "we're doing great articles" to answer the "should I worry about a recession" questions.

One of the repeated themes is that San Antonio's economy is more diverse so the hits it takes are less. It is the bond investment of Texas; flat and steady. Instead of diverse I would say in the past the jobs were either not there and could not be lost, or few with little impact.

Personally, I think the city would take more of a hit this time around because of all the jobs related to lending, reduced margins for refiners and a decline in auto sales, especially for fuel inefficient vehicles. I also wouldn't count on the government spending. It's one election away from going somewhere else.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio