HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
That's already underway, isn't it?
Not to the best of my knowledge. While Doug Ford did recently make an announcement in Kenora re: infrastructure, it was for minor road reconstruction projects:

http://www.netnewsledger.com/2019/10...ent-in-kenora/

This article speaks of the situation, although Nault was just defeated as MP:

https://www.ckdr.net/2019/07/22/no-m...in-highway-17/

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
So taking a step back and looking at the big picture, once Quebec finishes A-85 and assuming BC finishes their stretch at some point, really the only missing link in a coast to coast four-lane highway will be in northern Ontario.

Never thought about it that way.
The 40km section between Sutherlands River, NS and the Antigonish By-Pass should be completed in about 4 years but I don’t think there are any current plans to twin beyond there to the Ferry at North Sydney.

Newfoundland does have some twinned sections of TCH…..but haven’t heard of any further sections in the works.

PEI now has a couple of KMs of 4-lane undivided on the new Cornwall By-pass that just opened this week.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 11:40 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Funny enough, I heard that the twinning of TCH from Sutherlands River to Antigonish was supposed to happen way down the road. Then, all of a sudden, its priority got bumped up. Since the route wasn’t planned at all at first, it has to be done through P3.

Ps: Google maps was updated real quick. Cornwall Bypass is already showing.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 12:43 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
Not to the best of my knowledge. While Doug Ford did recently make an announcement in Kenora re: infrastructure, it was for minor road reconstruction projects:

http://www.netnewsledger.com/2019/10...ent-in-kenora/

This article speaks of the situation, although Nault was just defeated as MP:

https://www.ckdr.net/2019/07/22/no-m...in-highway-17/
https://4lanehighway17kenora.ca

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 12:46 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I saw it too, but it didn’t seem to mean much. Shoves were supposed to hit the ground back in spring but guess what...

I wonder how this project’s gonna play out now that Kenora’s Conservative both provincially and federally. At least Rickford can no longer point fingers?

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 2:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Funny enough, I heard that the twinning of TCH from Sutherlands River to Antigonish was supposed to happen way down the road. Then, all of a sudden, its priority got bumped up. Since the route wasn’t planned at all at first, it has to be done through P3.
There have been many fatal accidents on this section of highway, some high profile. The chief of the volunteer fire department at Barney's River (on the current alignment) had become highly vocal about the need for twinning. His is a small volunteer brigade, and seeing so much carnage was weighing heavily on the shoulders of his firefighters. He was an effective proponent.

https://www.ngnews.ca/news/local/fir...inning-197775/

There was another accident on this section of road just the other week with three fatalities (I believe). This is one of the reasons why I think a strict adherence to AADT shouldn't be the only consideration when it comes to decisions regarding highway twinning projects.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 3:17 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
This is one of the reasons why I think a strict adherence to AADT shouldn't be the only consideration when it comes to decisions regarding highway twinning projects.
If the power that be has a receptive ear, sure.

Sorry, engineers.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 4:15 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
I saw it too, but it didn’t seem to mean much. Shoves were supposed to hit the ground back in spring but guess what...

I wonder how this project’s gonna play out now that Kenora’s Conservative both provincially and federally. At least Rickford can no longer point fingers?
Probably very well. Ontario’s government has always been reluctant to improve a road that is mainly used by Winnipeg cottagers who don’t vote in Ontario elections. But maybe that will finally change now.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 11:09 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Meanwhile, Regina Bypass (which includes both TCH and SK-11) is finally open to traffic.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Meanwhile, Regina Bypass (which includes both TCH and SK-11) is finally open to traffic.
Part of eastside of Regina TCH ugrades opened last year

Video Link

...and the rest of the Regina ByPass that opened today,

with youtube video posted yesterday...

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 2:54 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Fair enough.

====

https://www.infodimanche.com/actuali...-pour-la-faune

Meanwhile, in Atlantic Canada (I consider everything east of Lévis on the southshore of St Lawrence to be atlantic), for the final phase of A85 in Quebec, we are looking to install 22 animal passings.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 4:42 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://www.google.ca/maps/@47.77461...7i13312!8i6656

This is the view of Route 185 right before the 4-lane section near Saint Antonin (Rivière Verte). Crazy huh?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 11:13 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://canada.constructconnect.com/...ject-completed

This one slipped by my attention. Anyway the 4-lane section around Donald, B.C. has been extended by a bit.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 5:46 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://www.on-sitemag.com/roads/b-c...re/1003966398/
B.C. has prequalified 3 consortia for the last phase of KHC.
I just skimmed through the breakdown of each consortium. Does that mean a total of 21 construction companies will be participating in the project?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 6:22 AM

Quote:
https://www.on-sitemag.com/roads/b-c...re/1003966398/
B.C. has prequalified 3 consortia for the last phase of KHC.
I just skimmed through the breakdown of each consortium. Does that mean a total of 21 construction companies will be participating in the project?
No. It means 21 companies make up the three consortia bidding on the project. Which ever one wins will be comprised of the companies listed under them.

I'm surprised they announced what they expect the project to cost before selecting the winning consortium. I'd also like to know why they need so long to pick a winner. Pick the winning team by spring so they can start work right away.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 5:55 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Here's the link to BC's Minisitry of Transportation's page for the 4 laning of Highway 1 from Kamloops to Alberta.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/t...mloops-alberta

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
Here's the link to BC's Minisitry of Transportation's page for the 4 laning of Highway 1 from Kamloops to Alberta.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/t...mloops-alberta
B.C. must be the only place in North America that seems to think not having proper medians on major highways isn't a big deal. For example, this isn't much of a safety feature. The location is Donald to Forde Station Road. At least this short stretch has nice shoulders and protection for the railroad!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 10:10 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Welcome to B.C., where building in the mountain costs some serious fortunes. Similarly I don't understand MTO's insistence in having the 2 directions separated by a wide median even in Canadian Shield. I do wonder how snow-clearing can be done for the direction away from the canyon in this case though.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Welcome to B.C., where building in the mountain costs some serious fortunes. Similarly I don't understand MTO's insistence in having the 2 directions separated by a wide median even in Canadian Shield. I do wonder how snow-clearing can be done for the direction away from the canyon in this case though.
B.C. acts as if they have the worst terrain in the world for building highways. They don't. They're just extremely cheap when it comes to building roads. ON on the other hand believes in safety and consistent standards. Users of a major national highway should be able to expect the same standards no matter what part of the highway they're using. Given the vast importance of Highway 1 thru B.C. I think the feds should finance a lot more of it and have third parties design the upgrades. Remove the B.C. government from the equation as much as possible.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 11:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
B.C. must be the only place in North America that seems to think not having proper medians on major highways isn't a big deal. For example, this isn't much of a safety feature. The location is Donald to Forde Station Road. At least this short stretch has nice shoulders and protection for the railroad!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
B.C. acts as if they have the worst terrain in the world for building highways. They don't. They're just extremely cheap when it comes to building roads. ON on the other hand believes in safety and consistent standards. Users of a major national highway should be able to expect the same standards no matter what part of the highway they're using. Given the vast importance of Highway 1 thru B.C. I think the feds should finance a lot more of it and have third parties design the upgrades. Remove the B.C. government from the equation as much as possible.
The barriers are like that so that they can move them and reroute traffic easier. Diverting traffic on other routes means hours of a detour.. Almost as bad as Northern Ontario.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada