HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
That sounds fantastic.

It is also the most quintessentially Winnipeg thing I’ve ever heard that they tried to force people off the sidewalk and into the arcade, it lasted one year, and has just been left as is for 30 years.

It’s wild they wanted to FORCE people into the arcade even though it’s not heated or even fully enclosed lol. Barely a benefit.
And the barriers were stolen the first winter. I'm sure there was also a 5 hour long council community committee meeting and immense pressure from the Peter Warren Action Line that led to that "solution". Winnipeg in the 80s, man.

I always wondered about that arcade at the front of the building... no one ever uses it except smokers and maybe pedestrians caught in sudden downpours. What a waste of space... good on Harvard for finally fixing this error.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Hmmmm....could the 201 Portage Ave amendment be the first "domino" to fall in the eventual opening of P & M (he says hopefully)
Hopefully. With Richardson fixing up their concourse, 200 Portage renos, and this, the argument for status quo is going to keep drying up. From what I've heard, it does sound like the city will be going ahead with removing the barriers and replacing them with planters, which could eventually be taken away in theory.

For fun walked through the P&M BMO entrance to cross yesterday (I usually just jaywalk across Portage E) – it's such a shame that for so long almost no one has ever gone through there. Next to the ledge, it's probably the most beautiful building in Winnipeg, and 90%+ of people have never been in there.

FYI the bunker access to Richardson is closed now as they're redoing those stairs. Sucks that they're having to put money into these entrances now when it's pretty widely agreed upon by city and owners that they need a full new solution.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 3:01 PM

^ The piss bunker across the street is also closed this week, not sure for what but hopefully a good spraying is part of whatever the plan is.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 3:19 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Hopefully. With Richardson fixing up their concourse, 200 Portage renos, and this, the argument for status quo is going to keep drying up. From what I've heard, it does sound like the city will be going ahead with removing the barriers and replacing them with planters, which could eventually be taken away in theory.

For fun walked through the P&M BMO entrance to cross yesterday (I usually just jaywalk across Portage E) – it's such a shame that for so long almost no one has ever gone through there. Next to the ledge, it's probably the most beautiful building in Winnipeg, and 90%+ of people have never been in there.

FYI the bunker access to Richardson is closed now as they're redoing those stairs. Sucks that they're having to put money into these entrances now when it's pretty widely agreed upon by city and owners that they need a full new solution.
Yeah except the Bowman cucked and bowed to the political pressure. Now he's made a set up where he will be eviscerated if he attempts to open it up.

What has been mentioned, and seems to make the most sense, is simply to tear down the barriers and make it possible to easily open the corner without allowing pedestrian access immediately. That way we lose the lousy barriers and eventually get to cross the street. They could do it as an excuse to conduct renos on the concourse. "Pedestrian access will be granted on a temporary basis to P&M during rehabilitation of the existing lower level concourse and circus", then just "forget" to remove access at the end of the project.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 3:21 PM

Yes, as I stated above the plan is to replace the bunkers with movable planters.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Harvard has an application with the city to have the original 1987 development agreement forcing the property owner to provide a pedestrian arcade for 201 Portage amended. The plan is to have that space filled in with tenant space. There's more details on the podium refurbishment in the letter sent to the city from Stantec below. This matter is on the agenda for the June 24, 2019 Standing Policy Committee on Property and Development, Heritage, and Downtown Development meeting.
Wow, I had no idea funneling pedestrians into this arcade was part of the original agreement with the City. It's like the City was *trying* to make Portage and Main the most unsafe pedestrian environment downtown.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 4:35 PM

There are renders in the Richardson Building lobby of their outdoor space that's being renovated (sorry did not take photos), but by in large, it's underwhelming.

Basically looks the same, but newer. No renders of the stairwell bunker down to the circus though so not sure if any changes happening with that.

All that said, it will look fresher and newer and that's a good thing.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 5:15 PM

I had no idea that there was so much going on in Winnipeg right now. I am incredibly impressed. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Winnipeg started to look like Edmonton or Calgary in 15 years at this rate.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
There are renders in the Richardson Building lobby of their outdoor space that's being renovated (sorry did not take photos), but by in large, it's underwhelming.

Basically looks the same, but newer. No renders of the stairwell bunker down to the circus though so not sure if any changes happening with that.

All that said, it will look fresher and newer and that's a good thing.
Some of those paving blocks were getting a bit unstable in the plaza there. A refresh needed to be done before someone got hurt.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 5:50 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

those paving stones are also overtop of a crawl space

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
I had no idea that there was so much going on in Winnipeg right now. I am incredibly impressed. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Winnipeg started to look like Edmonton or Calgary in 15 years at this rate.
I think we're very close to hitting the critical mass where downtown Winnipeg starts feeling truly populated and vibrant outside of the work day. Between new construction and conversions there are 6 different residential highrise projects underway downtown right now.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
Thank you for your gracious comments! There's certainly more construction than there has been in a long time, and from what some of our forum "insiders" hint, more to be announced. I don't know if we'll see quite the downtown density of Edmonton or Calgary, bit if this building trend continues I can certainly see Winnipeg mentioned in the same breath as those two cities.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 10:03 PM

I don't know about Calgary, but it's not hard to imagine downtown Winnipeg catching or even passing Edmonton in terms of an active, "dense" downtown. Especially as Railside fills out, and if the concept of refocusing Broadway on residential happens.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
That sounds fantastic.

It is also the most quintessentially Winnipeg thing I’ve ever heard that they tried to force people off the sidewalk and into the arcade, it lasted one year, and has just been left as is for 30 years.

It’s wild they wanted to FORCE people into the arcade even though it’s not heated or even fully enclosed lol. Barely a benefit.
I think the most quintessentially Winnipeg thing is that someone stole the metal barriers within the first year.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
I think the most quintessentially Winnipeg thing is that someone stole the metal barriers within the first year.
My recollection is the barriers were sitting at a Main Street pawnshop for years until the owner finally took them to the scrapyard on Sutherland...

Last edited by Labroco; Jun 20, 2019 at 2:27 AM. Reason: Typo

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Thank you for your gracious comments! There's certainly more construction than there has been in a long time, and from what some of our forum "insiders" hint, more to be announced. I don't know if we'll see quite the downtown density of Edmonton or Calgary, bit if this building trend continues I can certainly see Winnipeg mentioned in the same breath as those two cities.
Anytime! As an outsider from Ontario, I don't know a whole lot about Winnipeg, but I can see that it has a lot in common with Edmonton. I would not be surprised at all to see Winnipeg go through the same kind of tall building boom in 15 years that Edmonton is getting now, provided that it maintains its high growth rate. It probably won't get as tall as Edmonton, but you never know until it happens.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 5:19 PM

Somebody stole the barriers from P&M. Hallelujah!

Insert k d lang gif.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 7:52 PM

Quote:
I don't know about Calgary, but it's not hard to imagine downtown Winnipeg catching or even passing Edmonton in terms of an active, "dense" downtown. Especially as Railside fills out, and if the concept of refocusing Broadway on residential happens.
Well, Calgary has a lot of proposed highrises downtown. Not offices obviously, but apartments (currently underbuilt) and condos (still decent market interest). Depending on oil's recovery, this could increase.

Regardless, Winnipeg is doing well.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 4:00 PM
Back from the dead

Edmonton has a ton of big residential projects on the go now as well so I wouldn't put any eggs in that basket either.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 4:29 PM

New signs being installed

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan