HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #101  
Old Posted Jun 14, 2009, 11:39 PM
BSofA04's Avatar
BSofA04 BSofA04 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
The layout for the athletics complex has changed in the master plan. It is an impressive layout. It would be awesome if it could be built within the next ten years. What this can do for the on campus environment is priceless. Can you just imagine espn gameday on campus someday, amazing!
I agree. I see lots of tailgating, flags everywhere, rowdy fans...good times!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #102  
Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 12:36 AM
oldmanshirt's Avatar
oldmanshirt oldmanshirt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SATX > KCMO > DFW
Posts: 1,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
Can you just imagine espn gameday on campus someday, amazing!
Gonna have to get out of the SLC first. ESPN barely even bothers to put SLC scores on their ticker, let alone send TV crews to cover the games.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #103  
Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 4:31 AM
Big A Big A is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
Gonna have to get out of the SLC first. ESPN barely even bothers to put SLC scores on their ticker, let alone send TV crews to cover the games.
My post was in reference to ten years from now. Going by coach Cokers comments, I think the plan is changing to playing as an independent and not ever playing football in the SLC. With the Alamodome as the home stadium and with the coach that was hired, I think the plan to play with the big boys is in full swing. It is time out for the second fiddle attitude that keeps SA from reaching higher. Why would a city this size with a university with almost 30,000 students be even thinking about staying in the Southland Conference, ridiculous.

Last edited by Big A; Jun 15, 2009 at 4:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #104  
Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 4:33 PM
tgannaway89 tgannaway89 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Midland/San Antonio
Posts: 379
There is a video of the master plan presentation:

http://utsa.edu/today/2009/06/masterplan2.cfm
__________________
WATCH TV
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #105  
Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 7:34 PM
tgannaway89 tgannaway89 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Midland/San Antonio
Posts: 379
BGK has put UTSAs master plan on their site:

http://www.bgkarchitects.com/utsamp.asp
__________________
WATCH TV
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #106  
Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 5:30 PM
STLtoSA's Avatar
STLtoSA STLtoSA is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 333
The new master plan looks pretty good for the main campus. It looks like they have a lot of parking garages in the plan.

Downtown campus on the other hand, looks like it is lacking parking. Right now, there is the small parking garage and the under-the-highway parking which is fairly full during the semester. The plan completely built out shows no new parking structures.

I am one for pedestrian friendly campuses and students who use mass transit (or live close), but I would have expected to see at least one parking structure.

I don't believe that UTSA will build a football stadium at the sport complex in the next 10-20 years. They have too good of a thing with the dome downtown. But lets say they do, where are people going to park. The athletic complex at build out has no free room and 3.5 parking garages.

Like I said originally, I think the Dome is too good of a situation even though it is under a roof. There is also plenty of room to tailgate, and it would be a great venue for attracting major programs to beat the crap out of the Roadrunners.

Overall, I like the plan a lot more than the last one. These plans almost never see their end, but overall I like the direction this one is taking the University.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #107  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 3:43 PM
alexjon's Avatar
alexjon alexjon is offline
Bears of antiquity
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Downtown/First Hill, Seattle, WA
Posts: 8,340
Where is Chisholm on those renderings?! WTF.
__________________
"The United States is in no way founded upon the Christian religion." -- George Washington & John Adams in a diplomatic message to Malta
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #108  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 4:05 PM
STLtoSA's Avatar
STLtoSA STLtoSA is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
Where is Chisholm on those renderings?! WTF.

It is still there. You just have to look closely. It looks like the buildout plan has some sort of addition to Chisholm.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #109  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2009, 4:09 PM
alexjon's Avatar
alexjon alexjon is offline
Bears of antiquity
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Downtown/First Hill, Seattle, WA
Posts: 8,340
Wish there was an addition when I was there!
__________________
"The United States is in no way founded upon the Christian religion." -- George Washington & John Adams in a diplomatic message to Malta
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #110  
Old Posted Jul 2, 2009, 8:49 PM
Peligro! Peligro! is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
BGK has put UTSAs master plan on their site:

http://www.bgkarchitects.com/utsamp.asp

So what will be the next building or phase to occur on campus?

IS there any sort of pecking order or section they want to start work on?

I would love to see the 'Quad' area focused on, but it looks liek they will need 4 or 5 huge expensive buildings and numerous parking garages before that becomes a reality...

Also that amplitheater looks interesting...

Let me know what you know!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #111  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 5:28 PM
tgannaway89 tgannaway89 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Midland/San Antonio
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peligro! View Post
So what will be the next building or phase to occur on campus?

IS there any sort of pecking order or section they want to start work on?

I would love to see the 'Quad' area focused on, but it looks liek they will need 4 or 5 huge expensive buildings and numerous parking garages before that becomes a reality...

Also that amplitheater looks interesting...

Let me know what you know!
So far the only new buildings approved and funded for construction are:

- ROTC building
- Ceramics Studio
- Track & Field Stadium/Soccer Stadium (Park West)


Plans called for East Campus to be the next major phase, but the new master plan calls for a more urban campus. East Campus would have focused on graduate level studies and housing. The economic downturn has really slowed growth plans at the university for now. Most major buildings that have recently been constructed were paid for by the state government (BSE & New Engineering Building) or student-approved fee increases (Rec Center Expansion & UC Expansion). The first phase of the athletics park is mostly funded by recent local bonds.

You can check the minutes from the Board of Regents meetings which approve all new construction on their website: http://www.utsystem.edu/bor/meetings/minutes.htm
__________________
WATCH TV

Last edited by tgannaway89; Jul 3, 2009 at 5:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #112  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 5:51 PM
tgannaway89 tgannaway89 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Midland/San Antonio
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
So far the only new buildings approved and funded for construction are:

- ROTC building
- Ceramics Studio
- Track & Field Stadium/Soccer Stadium (Park West)

Plans called for East Campus to be the next major phase, but the new master plan calls for a more urban campus. East Campus would have focused on graduate level studies and housing. The economic downturn has really slowed growth plans at the university for now. Most major buildings that have recently been constructed were paid for by the state government (BSE & New Engineering Building) or student-approved fee increases (Rec Center Expansion & UC Expansion). The first phase of the athletics park is mostly funded by recent local bonds.

You can check the minutes from the Board of Regents meetings which approve all new construction on their website: http://www.utsystem.edu/bor/meetings/minutes.htm
You can view all approved projects by university at http://www.utsystem.edu/fpc/currentProjects.htm
__________________
WATCH TV
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #113  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 1:50 PM
STLtoSA's Avatar
STLtoSA STLtoSA is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 333
East Campus is no more.

Thank goodness!

I believe that East Campus would have been a terrible idea. Now that the Board of Regents has the land for the West Athletic Campus, land will open up (from the old master plan) on main campus.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #114  
Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 5:12 PM
ydoc14's Avatar
ydoc14 ydoc14 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: TX
Posts: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLtoSA View Post
East Campus is no more.

Thank goodness!

I believe that East Campus would have been a terrible idea. Now that the Board of Regents has the land for the West Athletic Campus, land will open up (from the old master plan) on main campus.
Darn...I wanted that cool looking bridge
__________________
GO SPURS GO! | My Photography
SAN ANTONIO
~ been here since April 2005...formerly sanantoniorocks21 and sarocks14
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #115  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 10:56 AM
tgannaway89 tgannaway89 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Midland/San Antonio
Posts: 379
I like the Convo expansion plan:



It is not a very attractive building as is:



Rendering from http://www.oconnellrobertson.com/
__________________
WATCH TV
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #116  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 10:20 PM
Big A Big A is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 52
I thought that a new basketball arena was going in at the Athletics Park. Why would they spend money on renovating the Convocation Center?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #117  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 12:04 AM
tgannaway89 tgannaway89 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Midland/San Antonio
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
I thought that a new basketball arena was going in at the Athletics Park. Why would they spend money on renovating the Convocation Center?
That proposed basketball stadium is likely 10+ years from being built. Plus, even once it is built the Convo will remain on campus for functions such as graduation. The multi-level Convo expansion will also include much needed athletics office space.
__________________
WATCH TV
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #118  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 3:25 AM
sirkingwilliam's Avatar
sirkingwilliam sirkingwilliam is offline
Loving SA 365 days a year
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 3,713
It's not 10 plus years away. NISD wants badly to get a basketball arena built asap which is why they're partnering with UTSA to get it built.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #119  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 7:09 PM
Big A Big A is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
It's not 10 plus years away. NISD wants badly to get a basketball arena built asap which is why they're partnering with UTSA to get it built.
I read something about that a while back, but it's just an idea right now. An arena with at least 10,000 seats is needed to host graduations,etc.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #120  
Old Posted Sep 12, 2009, 2:57 AM
Panini Panini is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
I like the Convo expansion plan:



It is not a very attractive building as is:



Rendering from http://www.oconnellrobertson.com/
At a meeting last week (UTSA) I heard that there will be a performance arts building that will be coming up soon in the parking lot facing the convo. If you look at the most recent (2009) campus masterplan, that is shown as a building with a tower. It makes sense because the master plan recommends that the main Quad be the first area to be developed, and the proposed building would be the major building anchoring the Quad.

The master plan has only shown buildings in a conceptual way and they have neither recommended the function nor the actual structure in their renderings. It would make sense to have a performing arts center as the major building facing the future Quad. U. Illinois (Urbana-Champaign) has Foellinger Auditorium in the main Quad, and Grainger Engineering Library in the their Engineering Quad.

Purdue has a major building (Hovde, the building that fronts the Eilliott hall of music) facing their Engineering quad (which they call the "Purdue Mall"). These are the two campuses I studied in and it makes eminent sense to have a signature building facing the main Quad.

If anyone has any details on the proposed building. Please post.

Cheers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:25 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.