HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Signature Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Nashville Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 30, 2006, 12:50 AM

NASHVILLE | Signature Tower | 1,030' Pinnacle / 810' Roof | 70 FLOORS | NEVER BUILT

It's official. Nashville's Signature Tower will rise 1,047' and 65 Floors. A model for this monster was released today. Go Nashville

Old Posted Apr 30, 2006, 12:56 AM

holy shit. That's great for Nashville. It will be the tallest building in the USA outside of NYC & Chicago. Atlanta will be pissed off.
Vista Tower, Chicago 1,1199 ft UC 45 Broad St, New York 1,115 ft UC
9 DeKalb Ave, New York 1,066 ft 53W53, New York 1,050 ft UC

Old Posted Apr 17, 2007, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazpmk View Post
holy shit. That's great for Nashville. It will be the tallest building in the USA outside of NYC & Chicago. Atlanta will be pissed off.
Looks like this building isn't trying to accomplish much more than beating the BOA Plaza in Atlanta as tallest in the southeast. Its even shaped like it too, with a spired pyramidal cone at the top.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 6:31 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainless View Post
Looks like this building isn't trying to accomplish much more than beating the BOA Plaza in Atlanta as tallest in the southeast. Its even shaped like it too, with a spired pyramidal cone at the top.
Oh geez. Yes, Atlanta, it is all about you isn't it?

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Oh geez. Yes, Atlanta, it is all about you isn't it?
No, all I am doing is making an observation. And it seems to me that this building appears to be trying to beat out the BOA Plaza in Atlanta as its main goal. Why? Well, its dimensions are roughly the same, it has a similar spired top that is highly decorative, but perhaps the most telling reason why it is seriously influenced by the BOA Plaza Atlanta is that it is only about 20-30 feet taller, and being located in the "south" it is vying for the "tallest in the south" distinction. What will it take to become the tallest in the south? Its going to take something that is taller than 1023'. This building beats that by only a couple dozen feet. That is very obvious to me.

I'm not trying to be negative. The fact that I pointed out similarities and influences between these two buildings shouldn't be reason to insight any negativity. Just because a building may have a distant familiarity with another building doesn't make it bad. This building may very well be expanding and improving on a design that is similar to BOA. This building will be great for Nashville, and like what the previous poster said, may even be great for ATL as well. But I stand behind my theory that fundamentaly the Signature Tower was designed from first conception to beat out BOA Plaza Atlanta.

Last edited by oldpainless; Apr 19, 2007 at 5:28 PM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 6:50 AM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Competition is a good thing in this case if anything, a city should continue to grow and not expect anybody to not build anything bigger and better than you. Look at the Twin Cities, were still boasting about the IDS Tower, which IMHO has been the tallest for way too damn long. We need a bigger and better achievement to outdo the IDS, we need to catch up to modern times.

This may also really sturr up notions to build Atlanta's new tallest. That would put ATL with at least two 1,000 footers, I know this thread is not about Atlanta but I believe that it will definetly influence it.

I am very happy though for Nashville, they knew they could support a project of this magnatude and they did. This definetly puts Nashville on a whole new level.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
But our BOA spire only looks good at night. In the daytime it looks like a mess of metal beams. Signature's spire will look fantastic night and day.

Now my next question is if all Signature is accomplishing is beating BOA, then what was BOA accomplishing when it was built?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasticman View Post
Now my next question is if all Signature is accomplishing is beating BOA, then what was BOA accomplishing when it was built?
Well, BOA Atlanta was probably trying to be "tallest in the south" as well. But I don't see anything close to rivaling it when it was built. Just because Signature's goal is trying to be "tallest in the south" by beating a close competitor doesn't make it wrong, or a copy-cat, or a poser. Its called competition, and honestly I would be flattered if I were the designer of BOA Atlanta because Signature seems to be set to beat it.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 6:39 PM

Fair enough.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Actually Miami has a approved tower that is 1,049 feet tall......

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 10:43 PM

elguapo731 over at the nashville growth and development forum had this to say: "Big news over at Siggy, Take this information as is.

I stopped by the site this morning and talked to the worker again. This is the same worker that had talked to a month back and back then he said that he'd been told since May that they were closing and it was currently July.

The difference in todays news is that he was told that the paying parkees had been notifed at the begining of the month along with him. He's been told they will close the lot on the first of september. Parkers were notified to make plans."

dont know if he posts here or not so if not thought yall might wanna know.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGGYMIAMI305 View Post
Actually Miami has a approved tower that is 1,049 feet tall......
What cracks me up is how so many of you write as though a mere proposal is a real building that has already been built and connotes status for your city.

Developers are notorious smoke-blowers, some of the worst. A proposal, whether it be ST, MP, or some vision for Miami, remains a proposal, a puff of smoke.

The following do NOT constitute proof of construction, the reality of a new tower, or justification for hometown bragging rights:

1) rumors that a parking lot will be closed
2) closing of a parking lot
3) announcement of groundbreaking
4) delay and rescheduling of groundbreaking
5) ribbon-cutting
6) jackhammering of parking lot tarmack
7) excavation

Typically, unless the foundations are being constructed, it's just smoke.

Whether its Nashville, Miami, Atlanta, Chicago, or East Frittersville, Please spare the rest of the SSP forumers the endless bragging, boosterism, and civic comparisons at least until foundations are being built.

Last edited by Cro Burnham; Aug 9, 2007 at 2:29 PM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
What cracks me up is how so many of you write as though a mere proposal is a real building that has already been built and connotes status for your city.

Developers are notorious smoke-blowers, some of the worst. A proposal, whether it be ST, MP, or some vision for Miami, remains a proposal, a puff of smoke.

The following do NOT constitute proof of construction, the reality of a new tower, or justification for hometown bragging rights:

5) ribbon-cutting
7) excavation

Whether its Nashville, Miami, Atlanta, Chicago, or East Frittersville, Please spare the rest of the SSP forumers the endless bragging, boosterism, and civic comparisons at least until foundations are being built.
Uummmm....correct me if I'm wrong....but I believe this section of the forum is to discuss highrise "proposals". To discuss may actually include some personal thoughts on why it may or may not be built depending on a host of variable including but not limited to the very list you included above.

So basically puff of smoke or not, we all have opinions as to the chances of any project coming to fruition and will share them as we choose to and not be chastised by one of the eye-roller types who try to position themselves as above the fray.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 10:18 PM
Hankster

Quote:

5) ribbon-cutting
7) excavation

We all all quite aware that Siggy is still nothing more than a proposal. Even if ground is broken, it just becomes a proposal with site prep underway. However, some proposals are "serious" proposals with a real chance of being constructed, and others are not "serious" proposals and are basically dead on arrival. Signature Tower , believe me, is a very "serious" proposal and has a solid chance of getting constructed. Only if Tony G. is able to secure financing will this project get constructed. I, for one, wouldn't bet against him.

There is no point in bragging about whether your city has a taller building or building(s) than another city. That is pointless, because a city is far more than the height of its buildings. One of my great hopes for Signature Tower is that if it is built, developers in other cities may decide that they can develop "big" just as Tony did. If that's the case, new tallest buildings may begin popping up in many cities all over this great nation of ours. As a skyscraper lover, this would be my greatest hope.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2007, 4:08 AM
Future God

Quote:

5) ribbon-cutting
7) excavation

Easy. Get off your high horse Tonto. Everyone here is being quite realistic and any pride circulating around this building (which, btw, I do think is quite justified, regardless of the status of the project) has been responsibly limited to this thread. Nobody forced you to click on the "Nashville Signature Tower" thread in the "Highrise Proposals" section.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Sep 3, 2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
just Atlanta! no I'm pretty sure so will these cities. Cleveland Key Tower, yes Atlanta, Boston Hancock, Detroit Renaissiance Center, and of course LA. the cities that where chasing chicago and new york in height comparison for years and than just get topped by the little capitol in Tennessee. we'll all be mad

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 2:03 AM

For a project of this magnitude, delays are common. This does not mean the project is dead haha. Nashville is a smaller city (about 2 million in the metro), but it is a very rich city. I believe Tony will get this building built, the credit crisis is just as bad as it's been in decades. It is supposed to clear up around October. Tony had to change general contractors, and he will find another soon. He already has excavation permits in hand, and i believe once his bank advisor believes the credit market has cleared up, Tony will begin excavation and Tony will get his required amount of contracts. Let's all remember Tony Giarratana is a unique developer- he is not in it for the money. He truly loves developing buildings and will put up his own money to get his projects complete.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 3:14 PM
BANNED

lol reminds me of the music group "tony toni tone"

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashVYllebeck View Post
Tony Giarratana is a unique developer- he is not in it for the money.
A developer saying (or even believing) he's not in it for the money is not particularly unique, but actually not being in it for the money - that would certainly be unique.

He'd at least want not to lose money though, right? Also, does he have investment partners? Are they of the same mentality, or do you think they might be in it to make a little money?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2007, 4:36 AM

he certainly does not want to Lose money, but TG will definitely spend money out of his own pocket to get a project going and would definitely be satisfied building a signature tower at 1,057 ft and not make as much money as lets say putting it at 1000 ft.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive