HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 2:37 PM

I think you all are really underselling the Hanover project. The massing is nice and the facade is clean and simple, utilizing a higher end curtain wall system (if the renderings are to be believed) as opposed to a storefront / between slab system.

I understand people wanting more, I love a sexy new building, but everyone needs to understand the realities of trying to get a project financed. Crazy building shapes are inefficient and expensive and expensive cladding is often the first thing removed when a project goes over budget, which they all are as construction pricing continues to soar.

Additionally, you don't want to overprice the market, rents are already high as they are. Generally office is getting the rents where you can do more aggressive building design.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_J View Post
I think you all are really underselling the Hanover project. The massing is nice and the facade is clean and simple, utilizing a higher end curtain wall system (if the renderings are to be believed) as opposed to a storefront / between slab system.

I understand people wanting more, I love a sexy new building, but everyone needs to understand the realities of trying to get a project financed. Crazy building shapes are inefficient and expensive and expensive cladding is often the first thing removed when a project goes over budget, which they all are as construction pricing continues to soar.

Additionally, you don't want to overprice the market, rents are already high as they are. Generally office is getting the rents where you can do more aggressive building design.
Thank you for writing something thoughtful and sensible.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_J View Post

Generally office is getting the rents where you can do more aggressive building design.
Hanover will look fine, but considering it is part office is why I was expecting a touch more out of the design.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 6:06 PM

New rendering of Sovereign Phase 2

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 6:36 PM

As hard as they keep trying, it’s just not in the same league as Sovereign One – which I believe is a masterful use of geometric forms packaged in an equally beautiful blend of materials.
The grouping of divergent shapes and superb blending of materials all come together to complement each other in the final form of Sovereign One.

Sovereign Two is just not there yet.

It's just missing something.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 7:52 PM

Building permit filed for demolition for "the Wilbur" office building at 1072 Memorial Dr (Reynoldstown east of the beltline). It's a small building. 900sqft on first floor aimed at a "Bakery/ Neighborhood Market / Coffee Shop."

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
So what was suggested improvements at the Midtown meeting on Tuesday?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlwarrior View Post
So what was suggested improvements at the Midtown meeting on Tuesday?
I just read online, they are very minor and can be done without further review. The plan is to start in 2021 to align with the 15th st extension.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 8:54 PM

December DRC Recap

Hanover - 1230 West Peachtree Street

Hanover is returning to Midtown with its largest project to date – a 40-story mixed-use tower at the southwest corner of West Peachtree and the planned extension of 15th Street. The significant project entails a stack of 8,600 square feet of ground floor retail uses at the street corner with 258,000 square feet of office and 328 market rate residential apartment units slated to begin construction in 2021, which best coordinates with the planned extension of 15th Street. The DRC commended the design team for the building’s overall architecture and supported most the requested minor variations, but did suggest a few design modifications to both meet code and improve the street level experience.

DRC Recommendations:
  • Midtown streetscape standard be met consistent with projects to the east and south.
  • Addition of a pedestrian connection from 15th St. to the parking spaces in the lowest level of the 793 space parking deck, along with the application of art and greenery to the north façade to provide visual interest along the sloping future 15th St.

Hub on Campus - 960 Spring Street

Chicago-based Core Campus is entering the Midtown market for private off-campus student housing with a project on the NW corner of Spring and Peachtree Place. Located at 960 Spring Street, the site is directly across the street from two other student housing developments – The Mark, currently under construction by Landmark Properties to the east and University House to the south. Known as “Hub on Campus,” the project has 278 units (784 beds) and 5,600 square feet of ground floor retail uses along Spring Street. While the design team took steps to create a building that connotes warmth and human scale, the DRC recommended several critical modifications to enhance the success of the street-level retail and eliminate small alcoves that could present public safety challenges.

DRC Recommendations:
  • Retail entrances should be re-oriented to face the public sidewalk, planting strips in front of storefront windows should be minimized and the internal floor slab for the retail spaces should be designed for maximum flexibility for future tenants.
  • Green screening on the north façade was also recommended to mitigate the negative impact of the blank wall of the parking garage, as seen from both Spring and 10th Street.
  • Landscaping and a lockable gate were recommended on the western edge of the site to provide additional screening and ensure that public safety is not compromised.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 9:07 PM

Well, it's happening. Building permit filed today (Commercial QCR) for the downtown Margaritaville timeshare/hotel. My understanding is 152 Nassau is completely gone now.

"WYNDHAM-MARGARITAVILLE ATLANTA CONSTRUCTION OF A 21-STORY HIGH-RISE VACATION TIMESHARE/RETAIL BUILDING. RESTAURANT, RETAIL SPACE AND ASSOCIATED ADMIN AREAS ON FLOORS 1 & 2 WITH TIMESHARE UNITS ON FLOORS 3-22. POOL AND FITNESS CENTER ON 19TH FLOOR."

Last edited by shivtim; Dec 11, 2019 at 9:22 PM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 9:13 PM

Regarding The Hub at 960 Spring Street - I think the DRC is missing the 800lb Gorilla in the room. The design concept could use more than just some street level design tweaks, especially when compared to the higher bar set by The Mark across the street.

I just don’t think The Hub’s over-all design will age well.

As I said before, the entire building resembles a solitary parking podium.
Maybe the renderings are not doing the building justice and are somehow skewing the true appeal of the building.

Of course the end product could always prove to be successful.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 9:34 PM

Opinions and thoughts are fine but the review committee focuses on laws and requirements. Opinions on design are just that and each person feels different. The DRC doesn’t deal in opinions! That’s a good thing.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLmangum View Post
I just read online, they are very minor and can be done without further review. The plan is to start in 2021 to align with the 15th st extension.
2021???? WTF?? not holding my breath...

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser View Post
Opinions and thoughts are fine but the review committee focuses on laws and requirements. Opinions on design are just that and each person feels different. The DRC doesn’t deal in opinions! That’s a good thing.
I understand that the DRC is the Development Review Commission and not a Design Review Committee, but I certainly couldn’t say a Design Review Committee would negative thing for Midtown.

People like Tim Keane, are hired to make design recommendations – which are basically his views or opinions based on substance.

If we can motivate a Developer/Architect to push the envelope of good design a little further, then we are all the beneficiaries.

We’re just illustrating how some poor designs can be better, through thoughtful input and guidance.

If you demand a little more of them, your likely to get a little more from them.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 10:20 PM

The DRC definitely offers suggestions and opinions to developers, but it is non-binding for approvals.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 10:45 PM

Yeah if a developer really wants to, they can go around the Midtown DRC and try to get approval from the city itself. That's what the hotel being built near the Fox attempted to do, but even the City thought the design was horrific so they worked with the city to create what's being developed there now.

Rarely do developers attempt to workaround the Midtown DRC due to the fact that the DRC and city works pretty close with each other.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Hanover will look fine, but considering it is part office is why I was expecting a touch more out of the design.
This is probably why they're able to justify the expensive facade treatment. For another comparison, look at Midtown Union's office tower vs residential.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Well, it's happening. Building permit filed today (Commercial QCR) for the downtown Margaritaville timeshare/hotel. My understanding is 152 Nassau is completely gone now.

"WYNDHAM-MARGARITAVILLE ATLANTA CONSTRUCTION OF A 21-STORY HIGH-RISE VACATION TIMESHARE/RETAIL BUILDING. RESTAURANT, RETAIL SPACE AND ASSOCIATED ADMIN AREAS ON FLOORS 1 & 2 WITH TIMESHARE UNITS ON FLOORS 3-22. POOL AND
Your understanding is correct. Both buildings are completely gone.

https://twitter.com/cbenderatl/statu...49246895394816

Old Posted Dec 11, 2019, 11:55 PM

Hub on Campus

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Not having balconies is just weird to me. Resembles the ugly 100 Midtown Apartments.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta