HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 6:10 PM
Meh

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...-construction/
Quote:
Part of San Jacinto Boulevard closed until December for Capitol Complex

by: Kate Winkle
Posted: Sep 23, 2019 / 07:52 AM CDT / Updated: Sep 23, 2019 / 12:07 PM CDT

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Starting Monday, part of San Jacinto Boulevard in downtown Austin will be closed until December as crews work to expand the Capitol Complex.

San Jacinto Boulevard is totally closed between Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard and 18th Street and 18th Street is closed from San Jacinto Boulevard to Trinity Street until Dec. 1.

Brazos Street will stay open to two-way traffic and the direction of San Jacinto from 17th to 18th Street will temporarily change so people can access Garage R and the Capitol Services Building visitors parking lot. However, that means there will be no street parking on that block, but there will be some public parking available in the R garage and other places nearby.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Is there a sense yet of where the blue line connector will actually cut across from Guad to Trinity? Does it follow 4th street to align with the red line tracks? If it cuts across earlier (say at 2nd street) it will have to find a way under/through the convention center expansion to actually hit Trinity.
the CC expansion is actually reconnecting more of the grid. So Trinity will still be open, and 2nd would be reopened as a street.

From the CC report

https://issuu.com/utsoa/docs/framewo...95123/68762342

Page 169

"the passage could be either completely pedestrian or allow automobile traffic to continue through to Trinity Street."

They don't call it out, but I'm assuming therefore that a middle pedestrian/transit only option could also be a possibility.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Is there a sense yet of where the blue line connector will actually cut across from Guad to Trinity? Does it follow 4th street to align with the red line tracks? If it cuts across earlier (say at 2nd street) it will have to find a way under/through the convention center expansion to actually hit Trinity.
It's possible the Blue Line cuts over to Red River somewhere downtown north of the convention center and runs down the new Red River through UT as oppose to San Jacinto.
EDIT: Nevermind. I misunderstood your question. No, we haven't had that level of information yet.

I'm still a fan of the Blue Line crossing at Trinity so you can put a stop at Cesar and Trinity that can serve the Rainey area. That is a huge source of hotels, condos, apartments, bars and growing retail and office.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 2:01 PM

The link is up for the virtual open house for the corridor BRT lines.

https://www.capmetroengage.org/en/en...ual-open-house

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
The link is up for the virtual open house for the corridor BRT lines.

https://www.capmetroengage.org/en/en...ual-open-house
I went to the meeting last night.

Their current story is no exclusive transit RoW in the initial rollout for any of the metrorapid/BRT-light corridors (not north Burnet, not Berkman). My feedback to them was to include this, and I plan to continue pressing them.

I got two different answers as to whether the buses would be electric (which I thought was going to be a softball question). CapMetro employee said yes, HNTB contractor said they were going to be existing buses from the fleet. Which doesn't really even make sense with the other boarding features they're talking about.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
I went to the meeting last night.

Their current story is no exclusive transit RoW in the initial rollout for any of the metrorapid/BRT-light corridors (not north Burnet, not Berkman). My feedback to them was to include this, and I plan to continue pressing them.

I got two different answers as to whether the buses would be electric (which I thought was going to be a softball question). CapMetro employee said yes, HNTB contractor said they were going to be existing buses from the fleet. Which doesn't really even make sense with the other boarding features they're talking about.
My initial thoughts were that the Pink needs a stop between Trinity and Comal, and the Yellow would be better off running on Lamar between 38th and 45th. That would allow Yellow to serve the new Austin State Hospital as well as all of the businesses near there. People who use the Hyde Park stop could still get on at the intersection of 38th and Guad. I'm know moving the Hyde Park station further south might hurt some of the apartment dwellers who are closer to 45th but it looks like they already planned that anyway.

I know eventually the ASH redevelopment may put some stuff along Guadalupe eventually, but why not serve the part that's been funded?

Also I'm a big fan of removing PRC from the Yellow route.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 9:04 PM

Also put this in the airport thread. TxDot is suppose to start next year on a 30 million project to put in frontage 3 EB frontage lanes on 71 from Riverside to the airport entrance at Pres blvd. This will take the entrance/exit of the Parking spot and electric substation from the 71 mainlines and move them to the frontage. It'll also necessitate 2 direct connector ramps. The first ramp makes sense 183N TO 71E. The second one doesn't make any sense 183S TO 71E since the 183 South toll project just rebuilt that ramp.

Presumedly, the'll also incorporate the new DDI style airport entrance since that will require a new bridge so frontage traffic can bypass presidential blvd. As a reminder, here is that design:

They're also starting next year on the 71 overpasses, east bound and west bound frontage road project east of 130 at Ross and Kellam.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 5:26 AM

Crank up the happy fun time music for the downtown I-35 traffic jam!

Video Link

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 4:52 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Crank up the happy fun time music for the downtown I-35 traffic jam!

Video Link
I was expecting Armin Van Buuren or Above & Beyond when you said "crank up the happy fun time music" only to be sorely disappointed.... cool vid anyways..

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 5:34 PM

Overall happy with the 183 South project but annoyed that they have a section where 4 lanes merge into 3 before expanding again at an intersection a few 100 feet later. They could have just kept the 4th lane and labeled it left turn only. This was marginal savings from TxDot.

Orange is what I would have added:

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 6:49 PM

Switching gears for a moment, the parking situation in downtown is a total mess and never fails to annoy me. I was meeting a friend for lunch there the other day and I was short on time, so after driving around I was left with no choice but to pay $18 for a space in an open parking lot. Insane.

I think Austin needs to do what Long Beach, CA did several years ago, and offer 2-hour free parking in various parking lots around the city. That policy, after it got implemented, turned out to be a huge boon to businesses in downtown Long Beach. Would be fantastic if Austin did something similar. (Would probably also reduce traffic by a fair amount, as people would just park their car instead of driving around in circles hoping a street spot opens up.)

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 7:56 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Also switching gears, or I should say tracks. I'd love for Austin to have something like this.

Video Link

https://youtu.be/9hshgs3-oRQ

I also don't know why the YouTube link option doesn't work when I use it.

This shouldn't be more expensive then say building a subway system.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
Switching gears for a moment, the parking situation in downtown is a total mess and never fails to annoy me. I was meeting a friend for lunch there the other day and I was short on time, so after driving around I was left with no choice but to pay $18 for a space in an open parking lot. Insane.

I think Austin needs to do what Long Beach, CA did several years ago, and offer 2-hour free parking in various parking lots around the city. That policy, after it got implemented, turned out to be a huge boon to businesses in downtown Long Beach. Would be fantastic if Austin did something similar. (Would probably also reduce traffic by a fair amount, as people would just park their car instead of driving around in circles hoping a street spot opens up.)
There are better uses of public land than parking cars especially when there are so many parking garages. The North Congress proposal would wipe out all the parking on Congress Ave in downtown in favor of greater pedestrian and biking amenities.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post

The problem with Austin street parking is that it's too _cheap_, not that it's not free.

It's too cheap in comparison to lot/garage parking, so you get the aforementioned trolling looking for a cheap spot (instead of just pulling in and parking somewhere).

Free lots would just make the problem even worse, as people would drive from lot to lot looking for a spot (no one would pay for a garage spot while they held out hope for a free one).

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 10:01 PM

Looks like the wishbone proposal for the new Longhorn Dam bridge won.

City staff, recognizing that Alternative B (Wishbone) received the highest levels of public support, will conduct further technical analysis and evaluation of public feedback before bringing a recommended alternative to the public at a third and final community open house this fall. A refined package of interim improvements will also be presented at the community open house. Funding for the interim improvements is available from the 2016 Mobility Bond.

I voted for the downstream option. I still think a bridge on the upstream side of a dam is a bad idea.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 7:05 PM

To those of you who drive from Austin to Houston a lot and don't like traffic lights:

TxDot will start construction next year on new frontage roads and overpasses on 71 at Ross Rd, Kellam Rd, Pope Bend and Tucker Hill. I think that just leaves FM 1209 as the last traffic light on 71 between Austin and I-10 but that project won't start until 2024. Txdot recently completed an overpass project near the Bucky's in Bastrop. 

This will be in conjunction with Travis county projects to improve Elroy Rd (from McAngus Rd to Kellam Rd) and Ross Rd (from Pearce Lane to Heine Farm Rd) just in time for COTA to go out of business. 

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 7:12 PM

We should be getting some Orange and Blue Line updates at the next Project Connect Events. My guess is all the events will have the same information. We'll likely learn more at the joint City Council and Cap Metro board meeting at the end of the month.

Project Connect: Orange & Blue Lines Open House
11/4, 5-7:30 p.m.
Bullock Museum
1800 Congress Ave.

Project Connect: Orange Line Open House
11/6 5-7:30 p.m.
St. Elmo Elementary
600 W. St. Elmo Rd.

Project Connect: Blue Line Open House
11/6 5-7:30 p.m.
ACC Highland 6
101 Highland Campus Dr.

Project Connect: Orange Line Open House
11/7 5-7:30 p.m.
YMCA North Austin
1000 W. Rundberg Ln.

Project Connect: Blue Line Open House
11/7 5-7:30 p.m.
Allison Elementary
515 Vargas Rd.

AURA seems pretty confident that it'll be light rail but I still don't think so given they want to go all the way to the airport on step 1. I guess it depends on how much federal funding they are hoping for. AURA seemed to have learned nothing and is ready willing and able to sell out the Blue Line if it means the Orange Line will be light rail. I feel like they would rather lose a vote on light rail down a small segment of Lamar instead of a system with transit only lanes that reaches more of the city and necessary voters.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2019, 8:57 PM

CTRMA listed an example list of projects they could put on their plate. The organization is doing a pretty good job getting stuff done and their borrow rating is improving.

-Extend Manor Expressway into Manor at FM 973 and then into Elgin. (Would be nice if we could just do the green line instead but can't really borrow private funds for that)
-183A Added Capacity: Add toll lane in each direction
-Mopac North: Add lane for Barton Skyway on-ramp
-RM 620 Corridor Study (2222 to 183)
-360: Corridor Study
-RM2222: Corridor Study (360 to 620)
-Parmer Lane: Corridor Study (1431 to Mopac) Add 1 express lane in each direction

Any of these would be in addition to the current projects in planning:

Mopac South: 2 express lanes in each direction and lots of frontage rd and ramp improvements (Cesar Chavez to Slaughter Ln_
183A Phase III: Add 3 toll lanes in each direction (Hero Way to SH 29)
183 North: Add 2 Express Lanes in each direction (Loop 1 N to RM 620)
US 183 N DC's @ SH 45

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 12:21 AM

Schematics and Virtual Open House for I-35 Capital South project are out. This is 35 from 71 to 45. Nothing really exciting here. I'm surprised they aren't doing any reconfiguring to the Slaughter underpass like elevated bypass lanes and a DDI intersection. My guess is that they are being as cheap as possible since there is no longer toll funding. They previously had that underpass as "under study" but there are no changes here.

https://capexsouth.mobility35openhouse.com

Old Posted Oct 18, 2019, 12:40 AM

Nice. Good example of a redesigned highway with more throughput taking up the same ROW. Same issue downtown with the sloped embankments that eat up several lanes worth of space. Really a shame they aren't going for braided ramps along the entire length of I-35, though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin