HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 6:01 PM

^ Finally! I was wondering when that would get going.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
That project at the southeast corner of Westminster/Maryland looks to be underway.

They are demo'ing the houses, and trimming back the trees.
Is that this one?

Quote:
710 WESTMINSTER
Located on the boundary between the neighbourhoods of West Broadway and Wolseley, at the prominent intersection of Westminster Avenue and Maryland Street, this development will positively impact the ongoing revitalization of the Maryland - Sherbrook area. As a mixed-use complex, this project will boost the commerce and hence the economy of the neighbourhood, while at the same time injecting life by providing affordable rental units for residents that will call this development “home”.

The four lots that this development involves represent an ideal opportunity for the development of a community-oriented project. Currently, this urban infill area is under-utilized, lacking to provide a positive impact on its immediate surroundings. Lot 109 Maryland has been vacant for many years; half of lot 91 has an undetermined use; and all three houses standing on these lots (dating back to the early 1900’s) are in poor condition, and do not contribute to the resurgent character of the neighbourhood.

The building includes approximately 11,600 sq.ft. of leasable commercial space on two levels; close to 31,000 sq.ft. of apartments on four levels for a total of 44 living units; and a 12,800 sq.ft. / ±42-car parking area, of which half is protected under the building.

http://www.u7arc.com/projects/reside...estminster#top

Old Posted Dec 10, 2018, 7:39 PM
the first stamp is free

^ that's the one.

The sign on the property still claims "Spring 2019 Possession", but that seems to be a bit optimistic.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 7:31 AM

I'm expecting those tiny balconies to be snipped off for the final product for a true Winnipeg specialty: baby guard rails bolted in front of the doors!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 8:14 PM

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 8:22 PM

^ I don't expect Maryland's character to change that much in the years to come, but I would love to see the stretch from Westminster to Wolseley continue to evolve into a walkable mixed-use strip like Sherbrook.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 12:00 AM

I actually think for the that reason it’s food that they decided to orient all the CRUs to Westminister instead of Maryland. Pull the commercial street front along there from Sherbrook. Kind of like Lilac off Corydon.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 10:47 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I don't expect Maryland's character to change that much in the years to come, but I would love to see the stretch from Westminster to Wolseley continue to evolve into a walkable mixed-use strip like Sherbrook.
From what I understand the idea is actually to avoid that because they want to avoid it competing with Sherbrook. Two watered-down streets is worse than one strong one, and Sherbrook is still a long way's off from being strong.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 1:56 PM

^ That's why I said 'evolve'... I don't see any kind of rapid transformation of Maryland in the offing. I could see it happening gradually over the next 30+ years, and it's really just one block. There are too many obstacles for it to spread north of Westminster.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
From what I understand the idea is actually to avoid that because they want to avoid it competing with Sherbrook. Two watered-down streets is worse than one strong one, and Sherbrook is still a long way's off from being strong.
Quote:
^ That's why I said 'evolve'... I don't see any kind of rapid transformation of Maryland in the offing. I could see it happening gradually over the next 30+ years, and it's really just one block. There are too many obstacles for it to spread north of Westminster.
This is exactly why IMO it's good they decided to have CRUs all along the side street instead of Maryland.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 9:37 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Damn sorry, I totally missed the "Wolseley to Westminster" part.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 3:13 AM

I love this infill development, The Fountain Springs Housing complex on Sherbrook

Lindsay Reid on Instagram: “Congrats to H5 Architecture and David Penner Architect for their 2018 Prairie Design Award Of Excellence for Fountain Springs Housing.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 5:53 AM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
I love this infill development, The Fountain Springs Housing complex on Sherbrook

Lindsay Reid on Instagram: “Congrats to H5 Architecture and David Penner Architect for their 2018 Prairie Design Award Of Excellence for Fountain Springs Housing.
Beautiful

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 7:13 PM

It's gorgeous. Also looks great at night, they put in really nice under lighting all along the overhang, really brightens up the street around it.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 12:53 AM
BANNED

Is that real wood or some type of composite? It may not age well if ignored.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 1:54 AM
surely you agree with me

Real wood. Taken from the Brazilian rainforest. Will last 30 years. So dense it doesn’t float in water.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Taken from the Brazilian rainforest.
Gross. Designers need to be more aware when choosing exotic materials for their projects. https://youtu.be/k82WytYKoKM

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 4:36 PM

The former Neighbourhood Cafe & Bookstore building in Wolseley (898 Westminster) has been sold and a new restaurant, The Ruby West, will be opening in that space.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
Gross. Designers need to be more aware when choosing exotic materials for their projects. https://youtu.be/k82WytYKoKM
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Not sure using Amazonian hardwood should be looked positively on.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
The former Neighbourhood Cafe & Bookstore building in Wolseley (898 Westminster) has been sold and a new restaurant, The Ruby West, will be opening in that space.
Excellent news!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan