HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 6:53 PM

heres the story from the business journal:

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...ent-breed.html

HQ hotel developer to seek different breed of patrons with second structure

The Oregonian reported yesterday that Mortenson Construction, the company behind the proposed 600-room Hyatt just north of Oregon Convention Center, is also planning to build a 204-room hotel across the river in downtown Portland.
But while the Hyatt will serve the business set, the planned AC Hotel by Marriott, at the corner of Southwest Third Avenue and Taylor Street, is aimed at a more cosmopolitan crowd.
Marriott describes the AC brand as a "stylish and urban" hotel with the "highest standards of quality." The planned downtown hotel may represent some competition for Provenance Hotels, which owns Hotel Lucia, Hotel deLuxe and The Sentinel in Portland and has 14 hotels around the country. Provenance employs a creative branding strategy, giving each of its hotels a unique look and feel based on its history and former use.

Not quite in keeping with that image, the downtown hotel will be built on an empty quarter-block owned by Portland Development Commission. Nearby businesses include Chipotle, Bangkok Palace and a 7-Eleven.
Planning documents submitted to the city of Portland identify Sera Design as the architects working on the 13-story project.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 11:24 PM

PDC twitter feed reporting that the board voted 4-0 to sell the land for the AC by Marriott hotel, for $2.5 million.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Sep 11, 2014, 2:34 AM

Mildly strange place for a hotel, but thank god that empty lot will go away. What an eyesore that has been.

Hopefully it kicks off some more fun in the area, can't wait.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 7:22 PM

Staff memo [PDF - small]. This project has its first Design Advice Request hearing at the Design Commission this afternoon.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post
Mildly strange place for a hotel, but thank god that empty lot will go away. What an eyesore that has been.

Hopefully it kicks off some more fun in the area, can't wait.
It's three and a half blocks from the Nines, near all the MAX lines, and the location has easy access to I-5 and I-84. It doesn't seem like a bad location at all for a hotel.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 7:38 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

I think part of the reason the location seems strange is that we're probably used to not walking past it since that particular corner has been so underdeveloped for so long. I'm hoping this hotel will spur development of the corner across the street. I have to assume it will, and that will be very good news indeed.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2014, 9:05 PM

Yeah it would be great to develop that lot also. Just to have a hotel on this site will really enliven this corner of DT... along with the redevelopment of Yamhill Marketplace (the old Bally's gym etc) for Jama Software/retail. And I'm excited to see what finally happens with the old Greek Cuisina building now that it's been sold.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2014, 11:18 PM

AC by Marriott drawings [PDF, 78MB]. I'll try to extract some images to post later.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 7:07 AM

Elevations definitely need some work, but nonetheless will be great to see this corner developed. Ground floor looks promising.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 8:05 AM
A before E

Nothing to write home about with the design, but definitely a good infill and a good location for a hotel. If anything, I am happy to see that empty lot finally get filled. Though I wonder who owns that tiny vacant lot that is on 3rd next to this building. That could easily be a cool little infill project.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Nothing to write home about with the design, but definitely a good infill and a good location for a hotel. If anything, I am happy to see that empty lot finally get filled. Though I wonder who owns that tiny vacant lot that is on 3rd next to this building. That could easily be a cool little infill project.
According to PortlandMaps it's owned by the part of the lot of the building facing SW 2nd.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2014, 2:55 PM

This is a key location. That lot really stops the flow of the entire area. Huge development, Garbage design.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 8:02 PM

What could have been:

(As seen in Works Partnership's office).

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 10:51 PM

Well the building to the right would have been awesome -- is this one proposal, was it supposed to be offices ?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 11:27 PM

I don't know anything about the project, but it does look like it would have been offices. Given that the AC by Marriott is proposed for that site, I think we have to assume it's dead.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 2:30 AM

Ah man! Just arrived at page two here to get all excited about those renderings maccoinnich posted, only to find out that elevations of what is actually getting built is on page one. Major bummer!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 3:14 AM

Damn. That would have been a terrific building for downtown, especially on that corner.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 6:33 AM

Thanks for ruining my night maccoinnich

Old Posted Oct 12, 2014, 12:43 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
What could have been:

(As seen in Works Partnership's office).
Well now I am shaking my fist angrily at the world. This would have been an awesome building for that location....I blame who ever it is that didn't build this building. They are dead to me.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 7:08 PM

Per this week's land use review intakes, they have applied for the Type III Design Review:

Quote:
Design Review for new 13-story, 204-room hotel on existing vacant lot. Building square footage will be 118,720 sf and height will be 130 feet.
No indication yet if the design has evolved from what was presented at Design Advice.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland