HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 6:40 AM
Meh

Mayor leads the way on bicycling summit

Quote:
Web Posted: 11/03/2009 12:00 CST
Mayor leads the way on bicycling summit

By Colin McDonald - Express-News

Swarmed by media cameras and cyclists in spandex, Mayor Julián Castro teetered over the frame of a surplus police bike in Main Plaza on Monday.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...ng_summit.html

Old Posted Nov 3, 2009, 4:09 PM

Hi Kevin, thanks for the post! It's about time city officials got down from their high horses and do something about this growing problem. I find it hard to believe that a city so picturesque w/ a nice year-round climate hasn't catered to more outdoor recreational developments for the citizens. Why aren't there more city parks w/ basketball courts, skate-boarding parks, baseball/softball fields, tennis courts, etc.? The climate supports it. It's a wonder why S.A. has been in the Top 10 Fattest Cities in the nation for quite sometime. Cities tend to fall to the fate of their elected offiicials. If the elected officials that have been voted into office in the past incorporated the need for more outdoor recreational developments/opportunities for the citizens of S.A. in their bond proposals, I truly feel we'd be a much more leaner/fit city like Austin. City officials are just now getting around to realizing this problem and thanks to Mayor Hardberger who is responsible for spearheading the charge, the ball's in motion. Mayor Julian Castro is an avid supporter as well, so that's definitely a good sign! Better late than never! Bike lanes have been long-overdue. I live in the Helotes area, so I see the bicyclist on FM 1560, Hausman Rd and Bandera (Hwy 16) all the time. They damn near get ran over, because there isn't enough room on the shoulder or a bike lane. It's a travesty what happened to that couple. Actually, I've seen and passed them numerous times on FM 1560. Sorry for the long response. I just had to vent! LOL

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio