HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 7:17 AM

Is there a most Efficient number of floors

Hello All

I am new to the forum and have been looking through the threads but not managed to find an answer to my questions.

I was wondering is there a 'rule of thumb' on the most cost efficient number of floors when building a tall slender uniform shaped skyscraper.

I appreciate that building elements would fall into certain categories :-

(1) Cost items fall as the number of storeys increases, e.g. roofs, foundation.
(2) Cost items rise as the number of storeys increases, e.g. lift installation, fire services.
(3) Cost items fall initially and then rise as the number of storeys increases, e.g. curtain walling.
(4) Cost items unaffected by height, e.g. floor finishes, doors.

Is there a balance where a building is the most efficient with all building elements ie if you build 25 floors you may as well look at building 30 or if you are building 45 you should consider 50.

Also is there a number of stories when the building dynamics change significantly due to the height.

I would appreciate any feedback or if some can point me to a previous thread.

Last edited by Idrisf; Sep 8, 2017 at 7:38 AM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 2:55 AM

what's the use, office, apartments, condos? I believe this has a big effect on the number of elevators needed, which effects cost.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 11:06 AM

In China, there are regulations concerning refuge floors. If your building is taller than 100m, fire regulations state that you need to provide one empty floor for escaping people to stop and rest(as far as I've understood it) per every 50m of height. So a 101m tower would need to "waste" two whole floors - thus 101-120(ish)m towers are avoided if possible. AFAIK there are also some other fire measures that increase construction cost if you go above 100/150m, but the refuge floor issue is the most visible one.

You are welcome to challenge this code if you know what you are doing, but most developers in China choose to go the conventional way.

Many developments are large and consists of many towers, so it definitely does have an impact:
4x110m towers=8 refuge floors needed vs
5x100m towers=0 refuge floors needed.

If the salable area is the same, which one would you choose?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture