HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklunder13 View Post
Wait, so this isn't going to be actual apartments anymore? When I hear "extended stay" it makes me think of something that sounds disappointing compared to apartments.
Their pretty common over here in Europe, it's basically a building set up to be listed on sites like Airbnb. That's the sole purpose of the location, vs staying at place that someone simply rented out due to them being out of town.. It's really just another hotel that comes off more like an apartment. At least that's what I gathered they were going for with this location.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklunder13 View Post
Wait, so this isn't going to be actual apartments anymore? When I hear "extended stay" it makes me think of something that sounds disappointing compared to apartments.
I never thought the apartment idea was feasible as they originally designed it, but I had hopes that it would serve as a nice "bookend" mirroring the Exchange Building one block down.

At least we are seeing a building that has been an eyesore for the decades that I've worked downtown returned to it's former glory.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 1:10 AM

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton..._news_headline

Renderings are for a 5 level building.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2019, 1:55 PM
JACKinBeantown

Google Earth has added updated 3D renderings!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Do...!4d-98.4869905

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post

Thanks for letting me know. I love maps. It's interesting how it took them nearly a decade to up Google Earth. Most cities in south Texas, such as Laredo and Corpus Christi gets updated every year.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 12:24 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
Thanks for letting me know. I love maps. It's interesting how it took them nearly a decade to up Google Earth. Most cities in south Texas, such as Laredo and Corpus Christi gets updated every year.
Maybe they're trying to keep San Antonio lame.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 3:41 PM

New Images from The Light Building

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by babysal; Apr 5, 2019 at 3:45 PM. Reason: adding an image

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 7:16 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Man, do I love GrayStreet is doing for our urban core.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 9:20 PM
Meh

Quote:

Sweet! Time to nerd out on the imagery later. I had drawn the convention center as you suggested, but it looks like they took care of it.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 4:21 PM

SOUTHTOWN NEWS

Quote:
Multiple retail projects, apartments and houses planned near Blue Star

Two streets just west of Blue Star are about to get four new retail projects, 15 new luxury homes and a mixed-use apartment complex.

East Cevallos and Clay streets — just across the train tracks from Blue Star — have historically been small industrial avenues. Soon, they may become high-traffic zones and a connection point between Blue Star and the Second Saturday Artwalk on South Flores Street.

A 3,650-square-foot building at 231 E. Cevallos St., formerly home to a bar called The Beach, is becoming Dos Sirenos Brewing, San Antonio's 30th brewery. Led by brewmaster and co-founder Mike Sireno, the new brewpub will include a full kitchen, outdoor seating, a play area for kids and off-street parking. Sireno anticipates work on the brewery will finish by mid-May.

Just west of the brewery will be a new two-story, 11,000-square-foot building, which is being developed by local company Exquisite Properties, headed by Micah Harper and Kevin Chaney. The building will feature several suites of up to 2,500 square feet, intended for various community retail or small office space.

Across the street on a vacant lot will be another new retail development, tentatively called The Hive. Also being developed by Exquisite Properties, the project gets its name from the honeycomb-like design of its 11 small suites, which will range in size from 500 to 1,500 square feet. Harper said the idea for The Hive and the building across the street came from his own frustrations as a neighborhood resident.

"For small, neighborhood retail, there’s nowhere to go. And Blue Star is getting fairly expensive now. We hope to bring in little neighborhood services here to fill in the gaps," Harper said.

Harper suggested the units could be perfect as small gallery spaces for local artists. Across the street, Harper said he's been approached by several bars, but has turned them away.

"Whatever comes here has to be family-friendly. We're not going to have any straight-up bars. The brewery at least has a full kitchen and will have an outdoor play area," Harper said.

Harper said a small house at 318 E. Cevallos St. is being converted into a coffee shop with a full kitchen, while the neighboring house at 316 E. Cevallos St. will be moved within the neighborhood and replaced by a small building, which will likely become a restaurant.

Just south of Cevallos, Harper's company is planning 15 luxury homes. Ranging from 2,500 to 3,080 square feet, the multistory homes will feature high-end finishes and will be priced from $625,000 to $740,000. Sales began last week, and one has been sold, he said.

The homes are being designed and built by local company Build Modern LLC, which is also designing The Hive, the two-story retail building and Dos Sirenos Brewing. Marksmen General Contractors will build the two-story retail complex. The Hive, for which bids are out, and its adjacent retail building will seek final rezoning approval this month. Harper said work will start within 90 days after approval is granted, and he anticipates construction lasting nine to 11 months.

The neighborhood may also get some new apartments, though their future is less clear than the new homes and retail. In 2016, plans were announced for a 294-unit mixed-use apartment complex at the corner of East Cevallos and South Flores streets. Being co-developed by James Schuepbach, manager of Schuepbach Properties, and Rajeev Puri of Athena Domain, it is unclear when the project could get going or what has delayed it so far. Puri did not respond to requests for comment.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 12:57 AM
MBottz1001

Wow--I can't overstate how pleasantly stunned I am at the transformation! I grew up on the corner of Bank & King Roger about a mile south of here, took a drive down there the other day, and I'm telling you that area of Flores to Probandt is almost unrecognizable to me. Keep at it Southside!

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 5:09 AM

[IMG]Durango Bridge by Raul Medina III, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 1:18 PM
JACKinBeantown

Nice bridge. What is it connecting? Two parking garages?

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Nice bridge. What is it connecting? Two parking garages?
This is H-E-B’s parking garage that connects to their HQ.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 4:46 PM

There is an article on www.saheron.com that tells about the Vistana Apartment Building being sold. In the article, Ed Cross mentions the 13 story Durango Apartment tower, the 17 story Floodgate, and the 24 story Villita Tower under development. This is promising to here that these developments may break ground in the near future!

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 12:32 AM

Express-News building hits the market

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton..._news_headline

I always thought this was a beautiful building. I can see this being a great mix use development.

"While no asking price was listed, the property is being marketed by local commercial brokers Ed Cross and Brent Smith of San Antonio Commercial Advisors. Cross told the Express-News that he expects to market the property for about two months and issue a call for offers in August."

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 4:14 PM
JACKinBeantown

I worked there one summer and snuck up to the "balcony" on the tower. It's a great old building.

The parking garage across the street sure is fugly. Yuck!
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4274...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 4:20 PM
JACKinBeantown

I think these three parking lots are prime location for some mixed use buildings (with retail of course). They have a nice park across the street which offers R&R space and nature, and the park will ensure their views don't get blocked.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4296.../data=!3m1!1e3

Some virtual views:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4281.../data=!3m1!1e3

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4288.../data=!3m1!1e3

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 5:17 PM

Quote:
I worked there one summer and snuck up to the "balcony" on the tower. It's a great old building.

The parking garage across the street sure is fugly. Yuck!
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.4274...7i13312!8i6656
This building has always been one of my favorites. It's beautiful! If this were ever made to be residential, I would move in a heartbeat.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 4:34 PM

Regarding recent conversations about Gensler's upcoming work for Gray Street on Broadway (pg 282), here's a recent Instagram post from Gensler's SA office referencing work on Phase 1 of the development:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxilHHvFIJ1/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio