HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
Plans for the Joske's building (formerly occupied by Dillard's) have been stalled.

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblog...mmer.html#more

Fogo de Chao will open at the end of the month. An unnamed night club (perhaps Blackstone Lounge?) will open beneath it. Plans across from this site will include 3 restaurants (2 new to SA). Construction may begin before years end.
Fogo, I'm assuming, had a soft opening or special invite event today.... It was packed in there.
It creates a huge buzz from street level and draws attention to the Mall.

The Aztec is lit up on St. Marys and the corner, brings a little bit of action to the core of Commerce.

Durango Phase of Victoria Commons is looking good. They are on the 4th floor on building 1 and should start on the 2nd floor on building 2. It almost brings a sense of great density on that part of Durango. Either that or I guess I just got used to having an empty lot there.

Expansion of the Justice Center is topped out. 10 floors adds alot to that area. It should fill out nicely once the skeleton gets finished out.

Also in that area, once the Neisner/Towneplace nears completion, it shouldn't be too long before we see the old Ace Mart get reused into a Springhill Suites on Durango/Flores; just to add a little more height/density in that area. They should get started soon, the site says Summer 2010 opening. I've seen dates move, but it still seems within reach.

Took a closer look at Indigo... the marble in the Lobby looks great. They've done a good job with that place.

Embassy Suites is getting ready to pour the 3rd floor. Should be soon, maybe this weekend. I'll be taking pics once they do.

Those 3 (Embassy, Townplace, Indigo) are going to greatly increase the activity on Houston St.

Great things happening DT.

side note: don't know if anybody else caught it, but on the HDRC agenda prior to the current one (early Aug.,) there were new plans for a new "face" to the Market Square. It was the first time I've seen it, so I'm sure we'll see it go through again. From what I saw, it removed the stage and bridge/elevator along Produce Row, opened up the windows along Produce Row and Commerce, and redesigned a new entrance for better recognition by visitors.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 3:24 AM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

miaht brings the lumber.

GREAT UPDATE!!!!!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 6:10 AM
Weapon of Mass Creation

New Marriott hotels?

Hello. I also posted this message in the Projects and Construction blog. I've been told that the fenced in parking lot at 411 Bowie is going to be 2 Marriott hotels. I spoke to the surrounding businesses, and I was told that the hotels might be Fairfield and Springhill Suites, and it was intimated that the buildings would have some height. Can you guys work your magic to confirm this? Good hunting!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fireoutofclay/3850450993/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fireoutofclay/3850451249/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fireoutofclay/3851248162/

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 1:22 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

^^^^ Very interesting. Completely under the radar if true. Nice work.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 2:16 PM

Height would have to be similar to the Marriott Residence Inn across the street for there to be twins on that lot. This is the first I've heard of it being hotels. I always assumed it was to be a parking garage. I'll have to look into it more. I can't even find permits for any work there.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 5:52 PM

If this is true, we will likely get a couple more airport looking hotels downtown

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 6:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
If this is true, we will likely get a couple more airport looking hotels downtown
Let’s just hope they build tall and not small. I am still thinking they can build tall even enough those hotel names don’t necessarily build big, but Chicago' Chicago Inn is about 50 stories and it is by Best Weston. So, let’s hope on that count of past. On a side note, what is up with all the Marriotts, the playful hands in city management really show.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 6:40 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
Height would have to be similar to the Marriott Residence Inn across the street for there to be twins on that lot. This is the first I've heard of it being hotels. I always assumed it was to be a parking garage. I'll have to look into it more. I can't even find permits for any work there.
I am curious on this one.

And I, for one, won't be complaining about a surface lot being replaced by two 14 story hotels, even if they were beige rectangles with no windows.

Anything that rids us of surface lots is a winner in my book.

I wonder when the 1604/I-10 Drury model makes its way into the urban core? Parking is often an issue for these mid-priced hotels and what better way to keep a small footprint (and land costs down) than to build a tower on top of the garage... May give us some artificial height one day...

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 7:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
I am curious on this one.

And I, for one, won't be complaining about a surface lot being replaced by two 14 story hotels, even if they were beige rectangles with no windows.

Anything that rids us of surface lots is a winner in my book.

I wonder when the 1604/I-10 Drury model makes its way into the urban core? Parking is often an issue for these mid-priced hotels and what better way to keep a small footprint (and land costs down) than to build a tower on top of the garage... May give us some artificial height one day...
I very much agree! I think, before gas prices went up, it was an idea to make town-like areas for shopping and living and be away from the city life such as NYC or Chicago or LA. Problem is, most cities, in my opinion, were never bad enough to "get away" to live or sleep when factoring in driving 30-1hr everyday (i.e., Houston). Come to think of it, I think that is why few people like Houston, the driving distances, but it has the appeal of a big city like NYC (and is growing more like it each year).

Anyway, I think the Dury inn on 1604 is the way to go in these bad times (which I predict will not get any better, not "any time soon", but at all). I just think it’s weird that people live in an apartment complex (me in included) that is as long as a block with poor parking when if you live in a building, you just park under your home and go up an elevator. Someone once told me that USAA has the same Sq has the Willis Tower (Sears). I do not think there is a need for such a long and complex building for the public. This is not the FBI or CIA. In my eyes they would (and are) losing business from their bank because people like me do not have time to be looking and parking and finding a bank that, if in a NYC like-building, would find on the 15 floor. Yes, my logic drives on, “well, just read a map and find parking, it’s that open glass building on the complex!” Problem again is most people do not do that. Such a waste of time and gas to be traversing from one part of town to another, and this happens all the time in San Antonio and Houston. Just centralize! ---and I think that we will be heading in that direction soon, only, we need to make high-rises for the common class as well, and not ugly ones such because they are for the rich or poor, it makes no different in construction, just the interior.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 8:50 PM

Druthers Cafe expanding to East Houston Street

from the DTblog:

Quote:
And the list of new downtown businesses keeps on growing.

Druthers Cafe & Catering, a Medical Center fixture for nearly two years, is expanding to East Houston Street at the space under the old Texas Theatre marquee, across from the Valencia Hotel.

"There was a real great opportunity down there as far as space," said Kate Hendrix, who owns the business along with her husband, Ken. "We just feel that we want to bring our flavor downtown."

Hendrix said everything's on schedule to open on Monday.

Druthers' downtown menu will differ a bit from its Medical Center location. "It's essentially our current menu with no burgers or baked potatoes," Kate Hendrix said. Visit DruthersCafe.com to download a menu. That Meatball Roundup looks really good. Downtown Druthers will also offer pastries from Nicavid's Bakery and Cafe — its neighbors up north.

Hours of operation will be 7 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday-Friday. Delivery service is free within a three miles of the cafe with a minimum $9 purchase.

Words & photo by Benjamin Olivo
I wondered what was going on there. I saw all the permits but I assumed that was for finishing out offices or even at the Book Bldg. It may not be much but something new is better than something closing. The IHOP cafe just had the permit go through for this week so we should see some activity there as well. It'll be a whole different scene in a few months on Houston St.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 10:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
from the DTblog:

I wondered what was going on there. I saw all the permits but I assumed that was for finishing out offices or even at the Book Bldg. It may not be much but something new is better than something closing. The IHOP cafe just had the permit go through for this week so we should see some activity there as well. It'll be a whole different scene in a few months on Houston St.
I have heard of this place and damn (from the pictures and reviews) the food there looks good! Another reason for us locals to head out to downtown.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 9:58 AM
Weapon of Mass Creation

IES, Jimmy Evans Co, and Jordan Construction banners are on all sides. The block is bordered by Bonham St. on the west side. A firestation takes up a small corner. I understand that the firestation will be moving to the SW corner of Cherry and Nolan. And I'm sure the old firestation will be preserved; that place was way too small. The firemen would close off part of Bonham St. in order to pull out their truck to wash it!

Last edited by Fireoutofclay; Aug 26, 2009 at 10:26 AM. Reason: condensed

Old Posted Aug 26, 2009, 10:01 AM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Last edited by Fireoutofclay; Aug 26, 2009 at 10:30 AM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 4:18 PM

I found a permit.

http://epay.sanantonio.gov/bipi2/Per...327&ptype=1004

Design is by Bounds and Gillespie Architects out of Memphis. It appears to be two hotels each with six floors. BNG designs hotels under the Hilton, Marriott, Choice, and ICH brands. Contractor is listed as Enrique Serna of Serna & Associates PLL (locally based).

This project has been tight lipped!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 4:43 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
I found a permit.

http://epay.sanantonio.gov/bipi2/Per...327&ptype=1004

Design is by Bounds and Gillespie Architects out of Memphis. It appears to be two hotels each with six floors. BNG designs hotels under the Hilton, Marriott, Choice, and ICH brands. Contractor is listed as Enrique Serna of Serna & Associates PLL (locally based).

This project has been tight lipped!
Nice work!!

133,000 SQ FT on 6 floors

blegh...but it is another surface parking lot eliminated...

examples of their work here: http://www.bngarchitects.com/slideshow/slideshow.swf

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 5:56 PM

Agreed that it is good to see a surface lot go. There are a lot in this area of downtown.

I would prefer something at least in the 8-10 floor range, but 6 floors is better than 5 floors. I would like to see what the designs are. I hope that the design and functionality fit into an urban framework. We will see i guess,

The location is the triangular lot in the middle of the image. Look at all of those surface lots.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 8:57 PM

Yeah good work finding it.

6 floors??
Oh well, I was expecting a garage there so 6 is more or less what I expected.
Hotels though? Hey, why not keep the momentum up since we have all this other activity on Houston St.?
Like I said before, maybe next year we can start giving Travis St. a facelift and then in a couple of years start up on Pecan. By the time Municipal Auditorium is completely renovated, the rest of DT will be too.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 9:58 PM

Hopefully they build something at least semi-modern looking. At least we can kiss one more surface lot goodbye!

Imagine what STL's picture would look like if there were no surface lots....

Old Posted Aug 28, 2009, 10:00 PM

Anyone read the part that said "PLANS HAVE BEEN REVISED WITH DELETION OF PARKING GARAGE AT BASEMENT". This hotel probably could have been several floors taller with that parking garage on bottom.

Not much information but the sidewalks will be rebuilt along the street around the entire property. It will also include a public coffee shop.

http://epay.sanantonio.gov/bipi2/Rev...mitNbr=1393327

Old Posted Aug 29, 2009, 12:22 AM
BANNED

6 floors for that area is crazy small! I would think they would be losing money doing that. At the least 20, but it is better than seeing some empty lot, gross view from some of the hotel rooms in that area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio