HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 11, 2016, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
If you watch any sports other than cfl football then you would know that officials are only human like the rest of us and that officiating often sucks in every league. The calls in the long term even out towards a mean. Some definitely affect game outcomes ( winnipeg has ended up on the short end of the stick for our fair share perhaps) but I don't think the cfl is particularly worse than the nfl for instance
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. My opinion is the NFL officiating (guys avg $170k + /yr) is far better than cfl officiating ($10K to $15K /yr). Throw in challenge flags and rules whereby a receiver can initiate a penalty on the other team by running into a defender past the 5yd mark and "central command" second guessing the guys on the field inconsistently and its a hot mess. I'm not blaming the guys that are basically doing this for the love of the game and to get their mugs on TV - certainly not doing it to make a living. But you get what you pay for.
Biggest difference between the two leagues is materiality and letting them play ball. CFL still can't consistently call an infraction vs. no infraction never mind materiality.

Your comment above is possibly the worst thing about the CFL. Following a dumb ass penalty to team X. Refs will inevitably try to balance things and start dishing out stupid penalties to team Y to "even it out towards a mean".

Did you see the Cal/Edm game in overtime? Clearly a trapped ball on the conversion and it stood as a catch even after review.

- and no, I don't think the bombers won because of officials - stop being so sensitive. Riders lost because they are a real bad team.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2016, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
30 minutes to slaughter!
Wasn't much of slaughter. Hard fought game.

My son and I went to the game. Had lots of fun, lots of banter back and forth and lots of heartache during the game.

Issues.
Nichols dropping his head just before the sack. I think the league has to change the rule in the off season. I'm convinced every QB is doing this to draw the penalty if they have the chance.

The Bomber punt return for a TD, called back because of a phantom illegal block. Still don't agree with the call and with the ability to challenge it. Also waiting for the TV timeout to end and then throwing the flag?!?!? The game was long enough with all the injuries as it was.

Rider players have to learn to quit taking objectional conduct penalties.

Rob Baggs offside in the 4th quarter was a killer.

Impressed with stadium overall, can't wait for ours next year.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2016, 10:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Wasn't much of slaughter. Hard fought game.
The good guys still won

Quote:
Nichols dropping his head just before the sack. I think the league has to change the rule in the off season. I'm convinced every QB is doing this to draw the penalty if they have the chance.
No QB would do that. They risk concussions and long term trauma.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
No QB would do that. They risk concussions and long term trauma.
I've seen Riley do it a couple of times.
Also it is instinctive as well.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2016, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
Doesn't everyone outside perimeter road cheer for the Riders anyway?
The Bombers have been somewhat lacking in the drive to move beyond the Perimeter. I even talked to a bomber fan from north of Portage la Prairie who mentioned that to me.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 12:34 AM

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/09/1...h-straight-win

Hard fought game. Much closer than expected. Yes, I do love Matt doing color commentary for the game...

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 2:56 PM

You have to admire Jones using his challenge to ask the refs to review the missed intentional grounding call against Durrant. Too bad the ruling on the field was not overturned.

Looking forward to Bombers winning back to back again to start the tradition with the new barn in Regina.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
The Bombers have been somewhat lacking in the drive to move beyond the Perimeter. I even talked to a bomber fan from north of Portage la Prairie who mentioned that to me.
They are the Winnipeg Blue Bombers after all.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Seems like a short-sighted policy from a marketing point of veiw.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 3:31 PM

Quote:
So you cede the rest of the province to Saskatchewan then? Maybe Manitoba should go back to its original boundaries from 1870.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 3:37 PM

Quote:
From what I can tell, Bomber country historically went out to about Virden or thereabouts. However, the solid Rider run that lasted from about 2004-2014 resulted in an eastward creep of Rider fandom to the point that far Westman became split, and even Brandon had a noticeable contingent of Rider fans. Once you got east of Brandon the green subsided considerably.

Of course, those turncoats are probably dropping the Riders like a hot potato now with things being the way they are. That's OK Westman, you guys are welcome back into the fold... after all, you're helping to pay for the stadium

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 3:45 PM

It's a joke, I was joking.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko View Post
So you cede the rest of the province to Saskatchewan then? Maybe Manitoba should go back to its original boundaries from 1870.
You mean when Saskatchewan didn't exist? hahaha Again, I joke, I kid.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 4:23 PM

Lol, good comeback. Hey, it's all in good fun. Nice to see another downtrodden CFL team finally back on track after several bad years, even if it's at our expense. I just wish we weren't pissing away so much money here in Sask. (Rider braintrust, this is on you for the way you hired Chris Jones and offered him the world.)

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. My opinion is the NFL officiating (guys avg $170k + /yr) is far better than cfl officiating ($10K to $15K /yr). Throw in challenge flags and rules whereby a receiver can initiate a penalty on the other team by running into a defender past the 5yd mark and "central command" second guessing the guys on the field inconsistently and its a hot mess. I'm not blaming the guys that are basically doing this for the love of the game and to get their mugs on TV - certainly not doing it to make a living. But you get what you pay for.
Biggest difference between the two leagues is materiality and letting them play ball. CFL still can't consistently call an infraction vs. no infraction never mind materiality.

Your comment above is possibly the worst thing about the CFL. Following a dumb ass penalty to team X. Refs will inevitably try to balance things and start dishing out stupid penalties to team Y to "even it out towards a mean".

Did you see the Cal/Edm game in overtime? Clearly a trapped ball on the conversion and it stood as a catch even after review.

- and no, I don't think the bombers won because of officials - stop being so sensitive. Riders lost because they are a real bad team.
Although the salary comparison is not really a good comparison to make. CFL players make an average of $80,000 per year and NFL players make an average of $1.9 million per year. So actually CFL officials are doing a lot better on average in comparison with NFL referees than players are. It's all about money generated by the two leagues.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Although the salary comparison is not really a good comparison to make. CFL players make an average of $80,000 per year and NFL players make an average of $1.9 million per year. So actually CFL officials are doing a lot better on average in comparison with NFL referees than players are. It's all about money generated by the two leagues.
True - but if a person can focus during the week on reviewing calls and the rulebook and going over tape for blown calls and consistency vs. going back to some unrelated day job it improves the end product in terms of accuracy of calls and length of time it takes to make a call.

The ones that get me are when a flag is called and then there is a referee huddle for 2 minutes before they decide what the call is. Did they see an infraction when they threw the flag or not? why does it take so long?

And the coach challenges right after a tv timeout are killer.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 11:44 PM

Quote:

it wasn't clearly trapped at all as you put it. The ball can touch the ground - in this case, the tip of the ball - as long as the receiver appears to be in full possession or control. The receiver appeared to be in full possession of the ball on the replay hence the call on the field stands.

I wouldn't mind if they limited the coaches challenges to certain things and I would like to see elimination of the challenges on pass interference calls. It's unclear what is pass interference and what is not. Heck, I would love it if they were less strict on the PI calls beyond the 5-yards of scrimmage. It makes sense in the NFL without the waggle and smaller field, but not in the CFL with those inherent advantages.

A hand on a receiver while the ball is coming toward them is fine as long as there is no obvious grab of the jersey. Hand-fighting should be allowed if both the receiver and defender are doing it imo.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 11:46 PM

Good job Winnipeg fans. Building the fan base one fan at a time.

http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/9-year-ol...bowl-1.3069103

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Good job Winnipeg fans. Building the fan base one fan at a time.

http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/9-year-ol...bowl-1.3069103
Pretty classless. Can't imagine harrassing a kid like that.

I could same thing about Rider fans if I wanted to generalize though - I remember a bunch them taking a piss on Winnipeg Blue Bomber cheerleaders a few years ago at the Labor Day Classic.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Pretty classless. Can't imagine harrassing a kid like that.

I could same thing about Rider fans if I wanted to generalize though - I remember a bunch them taking a piss on Winnipeg Blue Bomber cheerleaders a few years ago at the Labor Day Classic.
were they on fire?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan