HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 15, 2008, 10:32 PM

This is one of my favs. The other would be Cibolo Town Center. And of course River North.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 1:40 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Well, drove by the site yesterday and boy are they moving along. I remember a couple of months ago nothing was happening and now, the entire site seems to be under construction.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 6:29 PM

Any cranes up yet?

I'm just curious cuz I'll be flying into SA next month, then driving to Kerrville, so I want to know what to expect.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2008, 8:12 PM

Nope. The land has been cleared, but it looks like utility work still continues (possibly some foundations being poured).

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 9:36 PM

Three cranes are now up at the eilan site. Work is well underway on the two hotels being built at The Rim behind Target. LaC is going to be like another city in a few years.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 9:38 PM

Check out these projections/renderings of eilan - http://www.ryan-assoc.com/projects_c...ial_eilan.html

Old Posted Oct 29, 2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
Three cranes are now up at the eilan site. Work is well underway on the two hotels being built at The Rim behind Target. LaC is going to be like another city in a few years.
So in other words, the pictures I took 10 days ago are already pathetically obsolete

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 9:25 PM

What exactly is u/c at eilan? It looks like only the front 2 office buildings:

http://www.square134.com/index.php?c...1&current_4=49

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 2:29 AM

It looks like the parking garages that are going to be under the office building. I drove by there yesterday and anything with some height, that close to the 10, is a little overwhelming. I like it.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 6:31 AM

Two 7 story buildings and one with a 11-12 story tower should look real nice one that hill.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 2:44 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

I really don't want to become the grumbling old man...

But the renderings show 4 stories of office-space on top of parking, with the one building having that lighthouse-looking thing, which adds some faux-height.

Yes, it will have some height on that land - and especially that close to I-10, but 4 stories for 80,000 square feet? 4 stories for 100,000 square feet?
Sounds sprawly to me.

I just won't let exurban developers trick me into being excited for a sprawly, squatty building.

I will continue asking for (and cheering) smaller footprints and greater density.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
I really don't want to become the grumbling old man...

But the renderings show 4 stories of office-space on top of parking, with the one building having that lighthouse-looking thing, which adds some faux-height.

Yes, it will have some height on that land - and especially that close to I-10, but 4 stories for 80,000 square feet? 4 stories for 100,000 square feet?
Sounds sprawly to me.

I just won't let exurban developers trick me into being excited for a sprawly, squatty building.

I will continue asking for (and cheering) smaller footprints and greater density.
What do you think this is, Houston? This is 15 miles away from downtown... which is already scared of heights. The Drury @ 10/1604 is probably the tallest building going to be built in this area.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 6:08 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
What do you think this is, Houston? This is 15 miles away from downtown... which is already scared of heights. The Drury @ 10/1604 is probably the tallest building going to be built in this area.
you are probably right...

i mean, couldn't they have built some sparkling 15 story towers and charged more per Sq ft than any other building in the city? i mean, imagine how easy that would have been to sell... knowing how the hq search goes, people are looking for a building that grabs attention, is close to amenities, and is near corporate housing stock. they could have gone big and succeeded. instead, they'll take up gobs of land and charge what everyone else does...sigh.

i guess san antonio is just not mature enough as a business-hub to justify the "risks" in building something more grandiose.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
i guess san antonio is just not mature enough as a business-hub to justify the "risks" in building something more grandiose.
not this time around, although the more land these projects take up, perhaps a justification to build vertical the next time around will be there.... maybe in 20-25 years.

oh well.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 8:36 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAkyle04
Sounds sprawly to me.
That's not so bad. That would be 20,000 to 25,000 square feet per floor. That's about average for most skyscrapers actually. There was an old Skaggs-Alpha-Beta grocery store (bought out by Albertsons) near my house. It had 60,000 square feet in one story. I'm imagining a building with half that footprint, and it's not that bad. By the way, that old grocery store itself was torn down and bought by Austin Community College. The old building was full of asbestos and wasn't what they needed. So they tore it down and built a 3-story, 86,000 square foot building. Still quite a small footprint, though still more horizontal than vertical. But 20 to 25,000 square feet per floor isn't so squatty when you compare it to skyscrapers. it's just that the building is less tall, so it's wider than it is taller.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 8:53 PM

taken by me from the Rim.

cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 9:04 PM

kyle, no offense but I just don't see a high-rise working with this development. Not with what they have planned. Also, to the poster that asked if this were Houston, no we have zoning, lol.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 9:45 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
kyle, no offense but I just don't see a high-rise working with this development. Not with what they have planned. Also, to the poster that asked if this were Houston, no we have zoning, lol.
None taken.

I guess what I don't understand is how a high-rise "wouldn't work" with this development? It can work with ANY development.

A couple of towers with some elements included to provide proper scale to pedestrians or retail can ALWAYS make sense.

I just have to remind myself that this is still suburban San Antonio. The sad part is that our CBD continues to leak out to these types of buildings, these scattered developments around the periphery where you park in the basement of your building, ride the elevator to your office and then hop in the car to run across I-10 for lunch. In my opinion, this is not anything to be proud of...

Sprawl is sprawl.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 10:03 PM

Exactly what I was thinking; sad how the closest thing we have to anything resembling a business park is the access roads of I-10
This would have been 1000 times better had it been replacing a couple of eyesores downtown on St. Mary's . And then the Rim is also adding the sprawly offices as well.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 12:04 AM

Sometimes it does seem like SA is the city without zoning instead of Houston. I've thought that a few times, actually.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio