HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 4:59 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

{SA} Nordstrom Rack coming to The Rim

Quote:
Upscale discounter Nordstrom Rack coming to The Rim

Web Posted: 05/09/2008 09:45 PM CDT

By Creighton A. Welch

If you're into the Nordstrom experience but not the Nordstrom prices, a new store was announced Friday that will fix that.

Nordstrom Rack, the discount version of Nordstrom, will open a location at The Rim, across Interstate 10 from the full-price version that's at The Shops at La Cantera. The opening date wasn't disclosed.

“I think this just shows them putting another bet in the city,” said Ward Kampf, president of retail leasing for Thomas Enterprises Inc., the Atlanta-based developer of The Rim. “Nordstrom Rack adds another prestigious name to The Rim's premier mix of power and specialty retail stores, and top-flight dining and entertainment.”

The Nordstrom Rack will be the first in San Antonio, and second site in the state after Plano. The retailer has six full-line stores in the state, including the one at La Cantera.

The Rim currently has about 1.2 million square feet of retail space, including Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World, Target, The Palladium theater and Dick's Sporting Goods, a first-in-San Antonio store that opened this week. But Kampf says there's a demand for that much new space.

“The city is underserved with better retail and better restaurants,” he said. “I think that town has really been craving a better retail experience.”

By incorporating the Nordstrom name, Thomas Enterprises hopes to help attract the same customers who visit the La Cantera store.

“We look at our site as being able to bring a lot of critical mass to the area,” Kampf said. “In terms of the consumer, we have basically the same consumer as La Cantera. I think the area itself is probably one of the strongest corridors in Texas.”

The offshoot of the Seattle-based Nordstrom offers savings of 30 percent to 75 percent off apparel and accessories, and it considers its shoe selection to be one of the most extensive in the market.

“We're excited to grow our presence in San Antonio and think The Rim is a great location for us,” said Scott Meden, president of Nordstrom Rack.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 5:46 AM

So is this like the small outlet version of Nordstrom? Kind of like that Neiman Marcus Last Call stuff.

Old Posted May 10, 2008, 6:46 AM

Yes and no. Nordstrom Rack is, like the article states, the discount version of Nordstrom. They however are not built in Outlet centers instead they are placed in lifestyle centers or malls, etc.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 10:49 PM

In the same vein as the topic of this thread, more news pertaining to The Rim.

OFF 5TH (Saks Fifth Ave) has announced they will build a store at The Rim.

Opening is slated for spring 2009.

Quote:
Saks Inc. today announced it will open a 28,000 square foot Saks Fifth Avenue OFF 5th store at The Rim in the spring of 2009.

The Rim is one the city's newest shopping areas featuring more than 2 million square feet of retail stores and restaurants on a 150 acre site.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 10:51 PM
Bears of antiquity

So The Rim is discount luxury, eh?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
Well, these two stores will be part of The Shops at The Rim portion of retail, aka Bass Pro, Staples, Santikos, you know, the regular shopping fare. Nothing spectacular. Adding the Nordstrom and Saks Fifth names, even in the discount version, will help pull in more shoppers for The Shops at The Rim portion.

It's a good move on their part.

You also have to remember there is still The Village at The Rim and The Rim South that will add some 500,000-600,0000 square feet of retail.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 11:21 PM

This is great news. Now you can go shop at Nordstrom Rack, then drive across I-10 and go to the real Nordstrom to see all the stuff you couldn't afford.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 11:35 PM

Wouldn't that be drive up La Cantera Parkway. I'd see some problems with driving across 10.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 2:16 AM

Well, taken literally, I meant "drive over" I-10, as though across an overpass. But since LaCantera at I-10 is actually an underpass, I suppose that would be difficult.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 2:29 AM

Pardon my ignorance, but what is driving so much retail growth in that one little area ?

I visited the La Cantera shopping center for the first time a couple weeks ago, and was quite impressed with the landscaping.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruidCity View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what is driving so much retail growth in that one little area ?

I visited the La Cantera shopping center for the first time a couple weeks ago, and was quite impressed with the landscaping.
The demographics.

The demographics of a 2-3 mile radius at the 1604/10 interchange would be equivalent to Scottsdale. In population size as well as income.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 2:40 PM

And there's a cute little neighborhood up the road called the Dominion, along with a quaint little burg called Fair Oaks Ranch, median household income: $99,000.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 4:18 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
This is great news. Now you can go shop at Nordstrom Rack, then drive across I-10 and go to the real Nordstrom to see all the stuff you couldn't afford.
Hm, won't mention where I shopped this weekend then

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 6:38 PM

Did you go to the one in downtown Seattle? That was the first Nordstrom I ever went in, isn't it like 6 floors or something?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 7:04 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Hm, won't mention where I shopped this weekend then
that's where the new avatar came from - he got the bill and was "not amused".

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 9:26 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Did you go to the one in downtown Seattle? That was the first Nordstrom I ever went in, isn't it like 6 floors or something?
It's a freaking maze is what it is.

Good stuff-- you can always find good deals and exclusive patterns and designs from more thrifty lines (Volcom, Hurley, etc.) at comparable pricing, so it's not as expensive as you would think and you can definitely find distinctive things there.

I got the Pacific Northwest's trademark outfit: a hoodie and sensible t-shirts.

Of course, one of my old lenders screwed me and now I kinda regret buying fall clothing 2 months early... but it's so nice. Also, in terms of shopping, there are so many other stores that make me sigh in disbelief at their prices downtown. Brooks Brothers, for one. Siiiiigh. In all seriousness though, forget I jokingly brought up my shopping habits.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
What if Saks Fifth opened a second location at the Town Center at La Cantera? lol

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 2:35 AM

Quote:
I'm thinking high end Wal-Mart

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastarkus View Post
I'm thinking high end Wal-Mart
Isn't that a Target?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 1:57 PM

By the looks of the construction going on now, and the size given, it would seem to me that the both of these stores would be right behind the Dick's and Lowes on Worth Pkwy. Unless they work overtime around that first parking garage and get those stores completed. By looking at the layout, Ste. 314 on the close southwest corner of the parking garage, facing the Palladium is the only store big enough to hold it. It was supposed to be "sporting goods store" but at 2 stories and a little under 28K sq. ft., it might be where it is going.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio