HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 5:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
Can someone explain why it cost so much to fly from SFO to SMF and vice-versa? I'm a student at San Francisco State, but born and raised in sac and I come home occasionally. A buddy of mine and I usually take the bus or rent a car or amtrak but we thought about flying back to sac. United Express has it at $366 one way. That is ridiculous. You would think it would be 50-75 dollars tops
This flight is not meant to be taken as a stand alone, but more of a connecting flight for travelers going from smf somewhere and vice versa, and sometimes flying to the east coast, taking the 1st leg from smf to sfo then onwards, is cheaper roundrip than smf to sfo as a stand alone...crazy

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 7:35 PM
Kodachrome

Teichert will soon begin work on the Sacramento International Airport East
Runway Apron Expansion Project and Granite is repaving the Airports west runway.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis bickle View Post
And here they are...

Starting 12.15.07:

Mon., Thur., Sat.
Flight 4596
Lv. SMF 3:15
Av. PVR 8:45

From 1.7.8 – 2.12.08 – service to be 1x/week on Sunday lv. @ 7:45, av. 12:30.

Then back to 3x/week through 3.5.08.
once a week? why do they even bother?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 8:36 PM
silly slackergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmoose View Post
once a week? why do they even bother?
Those are probably for pre-packaged, one-week vacations.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2007, 11:22 PM
silly slackergeek

So much for December...

ExpressJet Bakersfield-Sacramento is a go. Apparently one of BFL’s present flights to San Diego will be switched to Sacramento.

Here are the details:

Starts September – can’t quite pin down the exact date.

Flight 202 - Depart Bakersfield 7:00 AM - Ar. Sacramento 8:05 AM
Flight 205 - Depart Sacramento 6:35 PM - Ar. Bakersfield 7:37 PM

This is the exact business oriented schedule Bakersfield’s leaders wanted.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2007, 1:40 AM

Quote:
ExpressJet Bakersfield-Sacramento is a go. Apparently one of BFL’s present flights to San Diego will be switched to Sacramento.

Here are the details:

Starts September – can’t quite pin down the exact date.

Flight 202 - Depart Bakersfield 7:00 AM - Ar. Sacramento 8:05 AM
Flight 205 - Depart Sacramento 6:35 PM - Ar. Bakersfield 7:37 PM

This is the exact business oriented schedule Bakersfield’s leaders wanted.
According to XJet website, its starting Sept. 9th.

It seems Xjet isn't catering to SMF -> Bakersfield traffic.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 3:09 PM
silly slackergeek

Latest Rumor for SMF

Here's the latest...

Starting this winter, ExpressJet will start daily service between SMF and Santa Barbara. I wouldn't normally post a rumor that I'd give no better than 50-50 odds, but I'm hearing the chatter now in both cities.

This route was flown back in the 80s by the old Skywest (I think), but nothing since.

We'll see...

Old Posted Oct 7, 2007, 1:16 AM
silly slackergeek

Well... I'm hearing that ExpressJet will announce this Monday, Oct. 8, two fights a day SMF-Santa Barbara.

Here are the details:

Flight 452 Depart: Santa Barbara - 8:25 AM: Arrive: Sacramento - 9:27 AM
Flight 454 Depart: Santa Barbara - 2:25 PM Arrive: Sacramento - 3:27 PM

Flight 449 Depart: Sacramento - 9:55 AM: Arrive: Santa Barbara - 11:10 AM
Flight 447 Depart: Sacramento - 4:40 PM: Arrive: Santa Barbara - 5:55 PM

This is part of a general expansion in the West for ExpressJet and includes new service in Reno with flights to Ontario, Tucson, Long Beach and Spokane.
Reno hasn't had much good news for their airport lately so this will be cause for celebration there.

Santa Barbara will also get service to San Diego. Great news for me as I go to SB often.

It's all supposed to start 11.11.07.

Last edited by travis bickle; Oct 7, 2007 at 1:57 AM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 7:16 PM
silly slackergeek

Troop flights

I understand that in light of recent difficulties in Oakland, SMF will now handle all West Coast troop layover flights.

Supposed to be an announcement in Congress tomorrow.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 2:56 AM
Edge_City

Quote:
I understand that in light of recent difficulties in Oakland, SMF will now handle all West Coast troop layover flights.

Supposed to be an announcement in Congress tomorrow.
What "difficulties" do you speak of; just curious.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 3:15 AM
silly slackergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf8278 View Post
What "difficulties" do you speak of; just curious.

Aw jeez... I don't want to get some people here started. Suffice to say that there was an incident in Oakland recently that some feel was insulting to the troops coming home from Iraq. It was serious enough that the armed services asked that Oakland no longer be used for these charter flights and the airlines have apparently agreed.

None of this has been confirmed and it's not through the usual people I talk too, but I'm pretty confident it will happen.

A quick Google will provide all of the answers you need.

Oakland's loss is Sacramento's gain.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 10:23 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Thanks for all of the SMF updates Travis.

Whoever your source is, they haven't been wrong to date...

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 2:41 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Travis is there any word on whether FEMA's defacto building moratorium in North Natomas will delay SMF expansion timeline?

It would be a shame if this project were delayed another 5 or 10 years.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2007, 4:52 PM
Here we stAy

It seems really backwards to me that FEMA should have any say in development at all. I guess the feds have the power over the local agencies, but Natomas will soon have 200 year protection, just like St. Louis, and I don't think they have any restrictions anywhere.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2007, 8:03 PM
silly slackergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
Travis is there any word on whether FEMA's defacto building moratorium in North Natomas will delay SMF expansion timeline?

It would be a shame if this project were delayed another 5 or 10 years.
I just don't know but no one has mentioned it as a problem. They are convinced they can complete this in 2011. That's just around the corner.

I'll bring it up next time.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2007, 9:29 AM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Sac Int'l is Zone 10, making it one of the warmest places in the valley in the winter. Therefore the airport could do tropical landscaping if they wanted to. But doesn't have to be.

Are there any plans to landscape the whole area? It needs something bad.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 11:54 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

New Central Terminal and expansion workshop (go figure)

Monday October 29th at: 2-4 p.m. and 5-7 p.m. 2921 Truxel Road

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 4:53 AM

Have you guys seen this video? Takes some time to load but it's worth it
http://www.sacairports.org/int/plann...o_November.wmv

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 5:27 PM
silly slackergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by What is a Rivercat? View Post
Have you guys seen this video? Takes some time to load but it's worth it
http://www.sacairports.org/int/plann...o_November.wmv
Yeah, I've seen that... pretty darn cool.

Hey, if anyone here goes to the meeting, please ask them to include an observation deck. I think one on the north side of the hotel would be spectacular and afford an incredible view of operations. Personally, I'd like to see it include a bar but that might be asking a bit much.

Also - thanks to all who have contacted me regarding the fires here. As many of you know, I was evacuated Monday but was home by Wednesday night. All is well.

Thanks!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 2:00 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

The video is impressive, but i had the chance to attend the community workshop today where they had updated renderings and a new video. Also Corgan's architects were on hand to answer questions, (and i had plenty)..

Question #1 While i like the incorporation of the APM (Automated People Mover), why did they choose it over a moving sidewalk?

Their response was, the costs were basically the same as a moving sidewalk and the distance, (which may not look that far) is over 800 feet making a moving sidewalk impratical.

The two APM's will operate independently and should one side break down the other should be able to handle the passenger traffic.

Should the unlikely happen and both break down they will shuttle people to Concourse B.

The APM will allow them to construct the new concourse and central terminal, while the old Terminal B remains operational...

Question #2 How many international arrival gates will be inlcuded and where will they be?

There will be two new international arrivals gates on the north side of the concourse....
(see picture below with red circle)..

(Rendering Corgan Associates)

Arrivals will be diverted at the end of the gate (or bridge), where they will move to a downstairs customs facility and claim their luggage, clear customs and put their luggage back on a conveyor, where they will be reunited once they move to the central terminal (where the main baggae claim area will be).

The architect explained that the reason the luggage will be cleared through customs and put back ona conveyor is because arriving passengers still have to take the APM back to the Central Terminal and they didn't want arriving international passengers crowding the APM's with luggage (smart move i think)..

The customs reception facility is impressive imo, and will allow two arriving international flights simlutaneously. It looks like there will be plenty of room to convert another two gates for international arrivals if demand presents itself in the future.

The two international arrivals gates are "swing gates"; meaning they can also be used for domestic arrivals simply by diverting arriving passengers directly into the new concourse B.

The gates will be able to accomodate nearly any sized plane, but as the architect described, the larger planes 767 and 787 will fit at the ends of the concourse without any problem, but the size of the planes parked (or gated) in the middle of the concourse will depend on airlines scheduling their flights. In other words if American airlines knows that it has a 767 due to arrive, and their assigned gates are in the middle of the concourse, then they probably would need to stagger the flight, to make the larger plane fit.

The architect indicated that Southwest might be a tenant; so I asked him if they were thinking about moving from terminal A to the new Terminal and he said that all the airlines were involved in the discussions. So in other words some tenants of the current Terminal B might move to A while some tenants of A might be decide to move to the new terminal.

I also asked him about the Nimby's and those who stalled Terminal A and drove up it's final construction costs by tens of millions of dollars.

He said the EIR comment grace period had passed and that only one issue remained to be worked out; which he felt would not hold up the project.
They are stil predicting a 2011 opening.

(KCRA reported construction will begin this spring)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area