HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 6:38 PM

Yet ANOTHER area code for Los Angeles! WTF??

OK, I thought people were LEAVING California. So why are we getting yet another area code?? As of now, California has 38 area codes. On November 1st of this year, we'll have 39. WTF??

Greater Los Angeles already has 17 area codes... 19 if you count the Palm Springs area.

So come November 1st, Greater LA will have 18 or 20 area codes, depending on what you consider Greater LA.

From KTLA:

Los Angeles is getting a new area code

Yeah, it's likely that people who are leaving California are hanging on to their area codes with their cell phones... But that would mean that more people and businesses would have to be moving in to California to take untaken numbers and max them out, triggering the need for a new area code, right?

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 6:56 PM

This isn't Fox News. We can all check Census.Gov and see California's population growth, notwithstanding any irregularities with the pandemic.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 7:14 PM

Well, the entire state of Vermont is still only the 802.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL7u...B2aWRlbw%3D%3D

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 7:54 PM
Resu Deretsiger

707!
A map of the CA zip codes:

Wiki

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
OK, I thought people were LEAVING California. So why are we getting yet another area code?? As of now, California has 38 area codes. On November 1st of this year, we'll have 39. WTF??

Greater Los Angeles already has 17 area codes... 19 if you count the Palm Springs area.

So come November 1st, Greater LA will have 18 or 20 area codes, depending on what you consider Greater LA.

From KTLA:

Los Angeles is getting a new area code

Yeah, it's likely that people who are leaving California are hanging on to their area codes with their cell phones... But that would mean that more people and businesses would have to be moving in to California to take untaken numbers and max them out, triggering the need for a new area code, right?
Many people who left during covid moved back already. Realtors on social media in other states have been saying that for a year, at least. They're moving out of those places and back to SF/LA

The traffic is def worse these days, and more people on trains/buses etc.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Many people who left during covid moved back already. The traffic is def worse these days, and more people on trains/buses etc.
Maybe 108 degrees and humid in Dallas isn't so appealing, even if the housing is cheap.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 9:28 PM

Oof. I think there was an article recently about that, tech workers in Austin going back to SF and some mentioned the weather. I'll see if I can find it.
Some big tech guy/CEO is returning to SF from Miami. He was very loud how much SF sucked during 2020/2021 but now he's back lol.

Yea and Californians in general, like being outside doing things.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 10:14 PM

A lot of people retain their old phone numbers when they move. I did--I have a San Francisco area code even though I moved out of SF almost four years ago.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 10:54 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Pretty much everyone in the tech world has an employer issued smartphone (no landlines anymore) so that's a lot of new lines needed.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 11:07 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
A lot of people retain their old phone numbers when they move. I did--I have a San Francisco area code even though I moved out of SF almost four years ago.
Same. I've got a 602 (Phoenix) area code even though I've lived in Northern Arizona (928) for almost 15 years.

Orange County might be the only place I've ever been where area codes were viewed as status symbols. The most desirable (in 2004) was 949. I went to a snooty, third rate liberal arts college for whatever that's worth. I had a 714 for a while after moving back to Arizona.

I dated someone in college who was upset that they were being switched from 909 to 951.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 11:17 PM
devout Pizzatarian

When I got my first Nokia cell phone back in '00, I was living down in Little Italy which was within the greater downtown Chicago "312" boundary (312 being Chicago's original old school area code) so I was lucky to get a 312 number.

I've kept it ever since and I will never let it go.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Pretty much everyone in the tech world has an employer issued smartphone (no landlines anymore) so that's a lot of new lines needed.
I thought companies were trending away from giving employees smartphones because of conferencing apps and also updates to the mobile operating systems that allow employers to sandbox apps for work on personal devices. I kept both a work phone and a personal phone for nearly a decade, but now I only have a personal phone.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I thought companies were trending away from giving employees smartphones because of conferencing apps and also updates to the mobile operating systems that allow employers to sandbox apps for work on personal devices. I kept both a work phone and a personal phone for nearly a decade, but now I only have a personal phone.
They are, but still incredible demand. Plus still needed for field work.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2024, 11:49 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
916 used to cover a lot more ground till they expanded 707 or switched stuff around.

source
That's from the 60's and if I remember right the change for 707 and 916 was in the early or mid 90s. Actually looking at the map, it was 916 that was chopped up while 707 is generally the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Yea and Californians in general, like being outside doing things.
Hella outside.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 12:16 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I guess it depends on the industry. My wife's employer (oil and gas) gives her a stipend for her personal phone to use for work in addition to a landline in her office but my employer (tech) discouraged mixing the two; don't use work phone for personal use and the apps we had our our work phone had pretty tight security.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 2:11 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Same. I've got a 602 (Phoenix) area code even though I've lived in Northern Arizona (928) for almost 15 years.

Orange County might be the only place I've ever been where area codes were viewed as status symbols. The most desirable (in 2004) was 949. I went to a snooty, third rate liberal arts college for whatever that's worth. I had a 714 for a while after moving back to Arizona.

I dated someone in college who was upset that they were being switched from 909 to 951.
Ontario was like that, specifically the GTA. The city of Toronto was 416 and the suburbs were 905. Toronto Star newspaper would use the term 905ers pejoratively or "those living in the 905" for suburbanites that didn't live in the city limits
Very Seinfeld-esque

In Niagara we are generally split between 905 and the newer 289 area code, and there's a whole bunch more new ones encompassing the GTA, Hamilton, Niagara for me to keep up. When I moved back from out West I was given the option and chose 905. 289? What the hell is that

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Ontario was like that, specifically the GTA. The city of Toronto was 416 and the suburbs were 905. Toronto Star newspaper would use the term 905ers or "those living in the 905" for suburbanites that didn't live in the city limits

In Niagara we are generally split between 905 and the newer 289 area code, and there's a whole bunch more new ones encompassing the GTA, Hamilton, Niagara for me to keep up. When I moved back from out West I was given the option and chose 905. 289? What the hell is that
When I lived in Southern California, people from the Inland Empire were referred to as "909ers," a slur that suggested they were rednecks who drove big trucks, etc...

https://www.latimes.com/local/la-xpm...922-story.html

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 2:17 AM
Great White Norf

Segregation and mockery by area code
Buffalo/Western NY (WNY) got a new one last year, 624.
The pre-existing 716 was a point of pride versus Rochester's 585 area code!
Now nobody in WNY will want 624.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 3:18 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

I still rock my 775 Northern Nevada area code, despite not having lived there in almost 20 years...

It confuses people who expect it to be 773...

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 4:15 AM

Could California be where the scammer get phone numbers? Not that it's as important now, with ghost calls.

Delaware still only has 302, even with a million people in the state.

I was not aware that the Niagara Region has area code 289, and western New York has 624.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions