HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I remember they said it takes about two weeks for a floor. They might pour the pillars tomorrow and then start the next floor monday... or tuesday. woot!
Doing a floor a week is NYC level, which should be the gold standard. I hope it continues.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 2:45 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
Today they did a cement pour – thus far, this is the fastest they've ever done a floor. It only took them a week. Well, half a floor. Either way, if they go at this rate, they will finish on time. It was definitely a nice sight.
I've been watching the webcam daily. They definitely are picking up the pace. I think the mild weather recently in SA after the cold spell was a nice reprieve that motivated them personally, while they've certainly mastered the process after 10/11 floors now.

The irregular shape of the building combined with the uniquely tilting columns obviously required a learning curve. Now that they've "learned" it they can do it somewhat by rote. I look forward to watching the tower rise at a relatively brisk pace.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I've been watching the webcam daily. They definitely are picking up the pace. I think the mild weather recently in SA after the cold spell was a nice reprieve that motivated them personally, while they've certainly mastered the process after 10/11 floors now.

The irregular shape of the building combined with the uniquely tilting columns obviously required a learning curve. Now that they've "learned" it they can do it somewhat by rote. I look forward to watching the tower rise at a relatively brisk pace.
I don't know if you were arching on Sunday, but I was shocked at how much they did with the garage. And the fact that they worked on Sunday. For me, if this was my project, I would have crews working 24/7 on different aspects of the building. In the end, you would save money.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 5:42 PM
JACKinBeantown

Yeah, the garage is flying. And the building is now clearly taller than it is wide.

Anybody know when they'll start putting up glass?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the garage is flying. And the building is now clearly taller than it is wide.

Anybody know when they'll start putting up glass?
Awhile back Gen. manager for the site, I believe, would begin glass work in February 2018. I remember that being said because, based on past work pacing schedules, I believed it to be a joke, but based on the past two weeks, this could in fact be possible.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
Messing around in photoshop... i'm not very good... but to give perspective!

dude, this is cool! Great perspective

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 1:05 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDG91 View Post
dude, this is cool! Great perspective
Agreed.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 2:25 AM

The view of the construction from the 35/I10 interchange gives a good perspective on the massing of this.

Unfortunately, I was driving and could not snap any pic, but if you happen be in that area, check it out.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 6:29 PM
JACKinBeantown

Is it just me or is the garage portion turned sideways in this rendering?

https://thefrosttower.com/wp-content...ost-West-1.jpg

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 1:25 AM
JACKinBeantown

If you go to the webcam at night you can see that they're starting to do interior work on the lower floors. They're lit up quite brightly and all the scaffolding is gone, so you can really see what's going on inside.

https://app.oxblue.com/open/kdc/frostbank

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 2:42 PM
James

Quote:
If you go to the webcam at night you can see that they're starting to do interior work on the lower floors. They're lit up quite brightly and all the scaffolding is gone, so you can really see what's going on inside.

https://app.oxblue.com/open/kdc/frostbank
I saw that the other day!

Also i wanted to comment on someone else's comment saying that the floors are rising faster. They really are. It used to be 2.5 weeks per floor now it's about 1.5. Looks like top out will really be this summer. yay!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 9:43 PM

I always wondered - why don't they use steel anyone in high-rise construction? One WTC used both steel and concrete. I miss seeing how steel would rise at construction sites.

so, I am thinking, if they finish another floor at one week from now (half that is), they should be done by summer. And we should be seeing glass next week.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 10:35 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
I always wondered - why don't they use steel anyone in high-rise construction? One WTC used both steel and concrete. I miss seeing how steel would rise at construction sites.
Cash money. Unless you have to use a more expensive material, why would you?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 8:40 PM

View near Trinity University

Last edited by PDD; Feb 1, 2018 at 7:15 PM. Reason: Original file was deleted

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 8:06 AM

Well, this is relevant to absolutely nothing but mildly interesting nonetheless.

I was reading the Rivard Report article on the Hays Street apartment complex, and read that the developers had hired a new design firm, GRG Architecture. When I went to check out their website, I noticed a rendering for an alternate design for the Frost tower (from the homepage of their site). No idea if they ever submitted anything, maybe it was just one of those conceptual challenges or something, but it's an interesting image to see what someone else would've done with the space:

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 9:28 AM

Jeezus. That would've been awesome.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 2:14 PM
JACKinBeantown

I'm happy they chose the design they did. I wish it were taller, but it's certainly a much better design than this one... one that people will talk about in a positive way. Plus, the retail element will be better for the neighborhood than what this one does.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahinsa View Post
Well, this is relevant to absolutely nothing but mildly interesting nonetheless.

I was reading the Rivard Report article on the Hays Street apartment complex, and read that the developers had hired a new design firm, GRG Architecture. When I went to check out their website, I noticed a rendering for an alternate design for the Frost tower (from the homepage of their site). No idea if they ever submitted anything, maybe it was just one of those conceptual challenges or something, but it's an interesting image to see what someone else would've done with the space:

OMG. I think it is now possible to be sexually aroused by architectural design. lol

That is such a beautiful design. I love the idea of surrounding the entire building with trees. I always felt it was a poor decision to use ALL the space for the building. A more compacted design is always most efficient.

Nevertheless, I love the current the design. We do need a few more mid-sized high rises before we go and start building 700+ footers. Let's see with time if the current design was the smart move.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahinsa View Post

Ahhhh, Nahhhh, sorry....
Like the current design 100%

The Frost tower will be an iconic and unique tower!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2018, 5:16 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Blurry progress pics from the San Pedro Creek improvements website:

https://spcproject.org/construction-.../martin-south/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio