HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 2:39 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

no faIR!!! LOL wish the mighty red was cleaner would be nice to go for a swim sometimes

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 3:14 PM

man...thats awesome...we'd prob get a disease where we'd lose limbs if there was a red river beach

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 3:25 PM
the first stamp is free

^ Have you swam at Grand Beach, Gimli, Winnipeg Beach, Victoria Beach, Nettley Creek, etc. etc.?

That's all Red River baby. We have all swam in it, and we're all still here...

It's funny the perception differences people have for swimming in the exact same water at different locations...

Clear water does not equal clean water. The red would look dirty regardless on the amount of pollution it may or may not have.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 3:38 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ Have you swam at Grand Beach, Gimli, Winnipeg Beach, Victoria Beach, Nettley Creek, etc. etc.?

It's funny the perception differences people have for swimming in the exact same water at different locations...

Clear water does not equal clean water. The red would look dirty regardless on the amount of pollution it may or may not have.
Exactly. I find it amusing (and sad) how so many persecute the Red River for it's "dirtiness" compared to other river's that run through the Prairies, such as the North Saskatchewan. where people think it's "so much cleaner" As the North Saskatchewan River runs through agrucultural lands, there are the exact same pollutants that are dumped into the river as the Red; fertilizers, pesticides, road salts and sand, etc. And because it runs through cities and towns as well, raw sewage overflow. Gee, just like the Red River, what a shock! Guess what the only difference is between the two is?? One is a clay bottom, where the constant stirring of the native soils gives it less clarity and more of an opaque appearance, whereas the North Sask has more of a rock bottom, and much less clay and other sediment being stirred up to affect the colour and clarity of the water, giving it more of a "clean" appearance. I guarentee you that if that river was an all clay bottom river, people would have the exact same perception of it being "dirty" as people do of the Red River. As someone who does water quality analysis as part of their job requirements, I can say with certainty that both rivers suffer from the same kinds of "issues", since both run through prairie regions, as mentionned above.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 3:58 PM

lol it was a joke guys, related to us not having a beach within the city

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 5:11 PM
Transit Nerd

Assiniboine Park could use a beach...

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 6:00 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
lol it was a joke guys, related to us not having a beach within the city
All joking aside, if there were a beach on a river in Winnipeg, would you use it?

I was commenting more on the way the general public perceives the rivers in Winnipeg, while mindlessly frolicking at the beaches served by the exact same source...

Old Posted Sep 16, 2011, 9:30 PM
working stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
Exactly. I find it amusing (and sad) how so many persecute the Red River for it's "dirtiness" compared to other river's that run through the Prairies, such as the North Saskatchewan. where people think it's "so much cleaner" As the North Saskatchewan River runs through agrucultural lands, there are the exact same pollutants that are dumped into the river as the Red; fertilizers, pesticides, road salts and sand, etc. And because it runs through cities and towns as well, raw sewage overflow. Gee, just like the Red River, what a shock! Guess what the only difference is between the two is?? One is a clay bottom, where the constant stirring of the native soils gives it less clarity and more of an opaque appearance, whereas the North Sask has more of a rock bottom, and much less clay and other sediment being stirred up to affect the colour and clarity of the water, giving it more of a "clean" appearance. I guarentee you that if that river was an all clay bottom river, people would have the exact same perception of it being "dirty" as people do of the Red River. As someone who does water quality analysis as part of their job requirements, I can say with certainty that both rivers suffer from the same kinds of "issues", since both run through prairie regions, as mentionned above.
There's some of that around here too. But on a hot day it's hard to stay cool! Oh, and just a small correction. Saskatoon has the South Saskatchewan River running through it. The North Saskatchewan river is about 30km northwest of Saskatoon.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2011, 11:33 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 1:25 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post

The Red River provides only about 8% of the inflow to Lake Winnipeg. The majority comes from the Winnipeg River, 28% IIRC.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 1:31 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
Exactly. I find it amusing (and sad) how so many persecute the Red River for it's "dirtiness" compared to other river's that run through the Prairies, such as the North Saskatchewan. where people think it's "so much cleaner" As the North Saskatchewan River runs through agrucultural lands, there are the exact same pollutants that are dumped into the river as the Red; fertilizers, pesticides, road salts and sand, etc. And because it runs through cities and towns as well, raw sewage overflow. Gee, just like the Red River, what a shock! Guess what the only difference is between the two is?? One is a clay bottom, where the constant stirring of the native soils gives it less clarity and more of an opaque appearance, whereas the North Sask has more of a rock bottom, and much less clay and other sediment being stirred up to affect the colour and clarity of the water, giving it more of a "clean" appearance. I guarantee you that if that river was an all clay bottom river, people would have the exact same perception of it being "dirty" as people do of the Red River. As someone who does water quality analysis as part of their job requirements, I can say with certainty that both rivers suffer from the same kinds of "issues", since both run through prairie regions, as mentioned above.
This is a common misconception. The bottom of the Red is either gravel, rock or boulders. There are areas where silt deposits are found due to current and eddies but the bottom is mostly gravel. The muddiness comes from the banks.

This is easily determined by dropping an anchor and trying to get it to set properly!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 8:51 PM

Regina Skyline

Getting back to skyline photos--here's a couple of shots of Regina in 2005, from southwest of the city. The skyline in 2011 is even more impressive than shown here, with the 20-story Harvard Tower III now rising next to the twin towers I and II.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 1:05 AM

Crazy how until just very recently, nothing has changed from that 2005 photo. Hopefully we'll see some major developments in the next couple years to continue the changes.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 10:02 AM
Transit Nerd

Whens Tower Iv coming in?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 12:37 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Whens Tower Iv coming in?
Harvard Developments recently applied for a demolition permit for the existing building on the property where tower 4 is to be built so i'm gonna assume it will be sooner than later.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 2:32 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheal View Post
Harvard Developments recently applied for a demolition permit for the existing building on the property where tower 4 is to be built so i'm gonna assume it will be sooner than later.
Really? LOL I was just asking as a joke, but thats insane!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPP View Post
Crazy how until just very recently, nothing has changed from that 2005 photo. Hopefully we'll see some major developments in the next couple years to continue the changes.
Nothing changed since the 1993 photo until this year!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Nothing changed since the 1993 photo until this year!
Now that's a lot of pent up demand just waiting to explode. I lived in Regina from 1990 to 1995 and still go back 4 or 5 times a year. The changes have certainly been dramatic!

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 7:05 PM
Transit Nerd

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 6:47 PM

shitty cell phone pic taken while I was working a few weeks back

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan