HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 8:27 PM
Closed account

I'm not big on that design. It looks like a northside apartment complex.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 9:44 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Let's not take the SAHA drawings too seriously as they were drawn up pre-River North.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 9:54 PM

I watched the Bexar County Commissioners Court today and they were dicussing River North.

Here are some of the stuff they talked about:
  • Street car would start at Convention center and end at Pearl brewery with a line split between the two. With hopes of extending lines to the north and south. North to Hildebrand or further to "Up Up Broadway." First time I heard that term. South to Southtown and SoFlo and eventually to some of the Missions.

• Light rail may eventually be involved some how.

• The idea of River North is to not be an extension of downtown but for it to be it's own area with its own identity and vibe. One of the examples was they didn't want high rise hotels along the Riverwalk like downtown and instead develop the river bank area for the residents.

• Transportation via the River will happen. It will be an alternative to street car.

Not related to River North.

There was talk of a 10-story building planned for the south downtown area near the Bexar county courthouse. I'm not sure exactly what it's going to be because the way they talked about it was very vague.

They were talking to the someone with the downtown alliance about reshaping all of downtown not just the River north area. And then Wolff started saying that the area of south downtown "where we are" is definitely taking off. He then mentioned the federal government possibly moving into the area (the new federal courthouse is proposed for the current police HQ which is like a block from County courthouse) and that a 10-story building is under construction. That was basically it.

I'm guessing that 10 story could be the new Police/Fire fighter HQ building.

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Jun 3, 2008 at 10:06 PM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 10:05 PM
Closed account

Quote:
The idea of River North is to not be an extension of downtown but for it to be it's own area with its own identity and vibe. One of the examples was they didn't want high rise hotels along the Riverwalk like downtown and instead develop the river bank area for the residents.
So does that mean the Embarcadero hotel on St. Mary's and 9th won't be built?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepSanAntonioLame View Post
So does that mean the Embarcadero hotel on St. Mary's and 9th won't be built?
I probably should have worded that better. They don't want high rise hotels all along the Riverwalk and at the bank.

Even Embarcadero will have a set back to the Riverwalk.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 10:11 PM
Closed account

Gotcha

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 10:39 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
I watched the Bexar County Commissioners Court today and they were dicussing River North.

Here are some of the stuff they talked about:
  • Street car would start at Convention center and end at Pearl brewery with a line split between the two. With hopes of extending lines to the north and south. North to Hildebrand or further to "Up Up Broadway." First time I heard that term. South to Southtown and SoFlo and eventually to some of the Missions.

• Light rail may eventually be involved some how.

• The idea of River North is to not be an extension of downtown but for it to be it's own area with its own identity and vibe. One of the examples was they didn't want high rise hotels along the Riverwalk like downtown and instead develop the river bank area for the residents.

• Transportation via the River will happen. It will be an alternative to street car.

Not related to River North.

There was talk of a 10-story building planned for the south downtown area near the Bexar county courthouse. I'm not sure exactly what it's going to be because the way they talked about it was very vague.

They were talking to the someone with the downtown alliance about reshaping all of downtown not just the River north area. And then Wolff started saying that the area of south downtown "where we are" is definitely taking off. He then mentioned the federal government possibly moving into the area (the new federal courthouse is proposed for the current police HQ which is like a block from County courthouse) and that a 10-story building is under construction. That was basically it.

I'm guessing that 10 story could be the new Police/Fire fighter HQ building.
great insights...

i cannot wait to hear more about light rail. wolff has been quoted saying that the time to revive that is now.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 10:46 PM
Closed account

The reality is that we won't see light rail in SA for at least 10 years, maybe more. I don't think passing a bond should be a problem this time around, its just going to take forever to get this going again.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 11:45 PM
Bears of antiquity

Streetcars are good and build pretty quickly-- they'll get rail where it needs to be for now.

For the record, I hate the terms "SoFlo" and "Up Up Broadway"

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 11:51 PM
Bears of antiquity

This is the plan for Seattle: http://seattlestreetcar.org/future.asp

They're basing it off the Portland model and are going far further than Portland has. Expansion with this technology is pretty easy

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 12:58 AM
Closed account

I hate SoFlo too. Just call it Southtown.

I wonder what people will call River North when its threw. Surely we won't be saying things like "Yeah I went to this great restaurant in River North last night!"

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 3:08 AM
James

RiNo like Rhinoceras, lol

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 3:17 AM

Just don't say Rio Norte or people will think its an apartment complex over by UTSA or some Mexican restaurant off DeZavala or something.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 5:11 AM

I really don't see what's wrong with shortening South Flores Arts District to SoFlo.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 5:22 AM

Yeah, I think SoFlo packs more of a punch than Southtown. And yeah Jaga, you might got something there w/ RiNo, I like the sound of that. Southtown and River North are too bland sounding, it needs kicking up another notch.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 5:25 AM
Bears of antiquity

By borrowing the same ole? We already have SoWa in Portland, SoDo in Seattle and a million others all over the world.

It's so derivative.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
I really don't see what's wrong with shortening South Flores Arts District to SoFlo.
Because it's not original, has been done better in other places, and could never have the character or notability of the famous neighborhoods with similar names (SoHo, NoLiTa, etc). We're SA; we're good enough in our own right. We're at our best when we are ourselves. Six million tourists come here to see SA being SA; not a wanna be someplace else.

Also, its not some twisted 'field of dreams' - like if you name it cool, they will come. This isht needs to be organic, it will be named what it will be named. It gets all fartknocker when developers and wannabes start naming neighborhoods with catchy 'urban' sounding names before a spade of dirt has even been turned. Talk about unoriginal.

Conversely, it's just as fartknocker when a developer bulldozes 3,000 acres of trees and wildlife for a subdivision and names all the streets for the trees and wildlife that was bulldozed (Grey Fox Run, Cedar Vista Drive, etc).
"We marched five leagues over a fine country with broad plains, the most beautiful in all of New Spain. We camped on the banks of an arroyo. This I called San Antonio de Padua, because we reached it on the day of his festival." - General Domingo Teran de los Rios, June 13, 1691, in a letter to the King of Spain on the occasion of the founding of San Antonio.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 6:20 AM

I think you're all making a bigger deal out of this.

I can understand not liking it if it was named SoFlo from the beginning to capitalize on other cities use of abbreviated names for their districts. But in the case of SoFlo it wasn't. They just shortened South Flores Arts District. Also, I feel to abbreviate a district or neighborhood isn't exclusive to one particular city or any cities even if said city[s] originated the trend or popularized it or what not.

Bottom line, I'm not trying to change your opinions on how you feel towards the name just saying I disagree.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 2:01 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Its the name of a friggin district folks....honestly.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 2:38 PM
Closed account

SoFlo sounds like its in New York......

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio