HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 27, 2021, 4:36 PM

The south Nutrien sign was sitting in the plaza awaiting installation last time I walked past a few days ago.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 3:26 PM

This block would be gorgeous if this project had ground level retail.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 3:53 PM

Walking around dt this morning had me thinking a lot about how our downtown is still missing culture, and how our districts don’t have personality. This project tried to address this with the attraction of river landing that for sure will attract people from the burbs, but it doesn’t retain enough people to downtown that will join the committees that will ensure our downtown stays vibrant. If you’re visiting river landing from the burbs, you’re maybe thinking in awe about how beautiful it is, or are jealous of how rich a select few are in saskatoon.

My thoughts on how to address this? I think that we need to subsidize more affordable condos more. No1 River Landing’s condos definitely brought in a few more residents to downtown, but with psf prices of 3-5x that of a house in the burbs, it was definitely largely treated as investments / possibly as short term stays, which means it’s not fully condos for residents that will live work and play downtown, but steal business from hotels.

1. Address our crisis of short term rentals downtown with our condos - it limits the supply of long term condos for residents to rent in Saskatoon, and it stops investment of new hotels downtown. A strict short term rental policy will lose condo investment on spec buyers looking to do rentals of an additional condo, but will encourage new development of hotels downtown which studies show greatly offset the damage airbnb’s do to city’s hotels. The moral of short term renters in condos is also a huge driver of moral disatisfaction of downtown living, when your neighbors treat your condo like a hotel (based on my experience living next to two short term rentals that are stealing business from hotels, down with short term rentals - I want neighbors that will actually join our board.

2.Create committee districts for each section of our downtown. Our city councillor downtown lives in Nutana, which i’ve only visited like twice in my ten years here in Saskatoon. They are not areas with the same economical, commercial, residential, social issues by a long shot. It would be more fair to have city park as a part of downtown’s city council district.
2a. Subcommittees with residents in each district which still need to be more clearly defined, proposing:
-a 4 block radius around 25th and 5th, the most populous block. This area holds ~60% of Saskatoon’s downtown residents, and soon to be higher with Baydo’s development. Baydo’s development won’t even be considered downtown which is nutso from a policy standpoint.
-the warehouse district whereas the center of it surrounds the police station - this area of north downtown, the old dilapidated john deere building, the new 303 cafe that’s amazing. Huge potential for this area.
-downtown, which the center is midtown mall/scotia center. This area should see either a dramatic change or a massive shut down in the near term. The mall seems to be thriving, but the entire scotia center is empty. This is a great opportunity for condo development both via renovations of existing commercial buildings, and new buildings in the envision draft plans of condos attached to the mall

The new Arena and new Library should be as centered as possible in all three of these, to allow for smooth flow of residents and incentive for development in all areas. That’s why I think the library is in a perfect location, and the arena should be in the north parking lot of midtown (highlighted blue!). This is my vision for downtown

Last edited by roryn1; Apr 2, 2021 at 4:33 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 11:39 PM

loving the first pic there roryn1.. Saskatoon looks unrecognizable almost.. amazing what this project has done to the city skyline.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2021, 4:35 AM

You can see in a couple or roryn’s photo that there was a crane on site today taking down the man & material hoist from the west side of Nutrien Tower. Over the next few weeks, the curtainwall will be completed along there, too.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 6:23 PM

I can’t wait to see the strip lighting on the Nutrien tower! Given the placement/angle of the south side lighting strips, I wonder if the River Landing No. 1 folks will complain...it seems like it’ll be shining directly into the balcony’s/windows of the east side units.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2021, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Yeah, I should point out that the rendering is a couple years old and is conceptual re: the plaza.

These are the latest images of K.W. Nasser Plaza from Nadi Design:

https://www.nadi.design/portfolio/river-landing-plaza
Just thought I’d bring these plaza photos back to light as more will be curious to if it turns out like this now that the plaza is almost complete. I’m kind of sad they didn’t propose evergreens - the plaza is going to look very cold and dreary for 8 months of the year with the proposed plants. When will saskatoon remember that we live near the boreal and take advantage of it

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 2:13 PM

Ground-level retail at River Landing has leased. I'm not sure what it's going to be yet.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 3:31 PM

It would be great if that roof top patio area by Alt Hotel is an actual feature, but I am not sure it looked "finished" for that purpose in previous actual pictures during construction phase. Anyone know for sure??

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 3:00 PM

edited

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 5:58 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 7:04 PM

heard a rumour the leased spot in the condo is a burger/shake shop that’s from Calgary..

anyone else hear any rumours of restaurants or finally a chain gym coming to downtown in the Nutrien tower?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
heard a rumour the leased spot in the condo is a burger/shake shop that’s from Calgary..
This outfit? https://www.regrub.ca/

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 10:52 PM
ARTchitecture

Regrub is awesome! That will be sweet for Riverlanding!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 9:05 PM

edited

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 5:59 PM.

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
Any progress on the landscaping? It's hard, no, impossible really, to tell from the webcam. A simple mobile phone pic would be worth a thousand words.
I’m afraid you’re going to have to settle for considerably less than a thousand words and no pictures from me. If someone living at No.1 River Landing, staying at the Alt Hotel or warming in the East Tower wanted to post one, that would be fair game. For that matter, most of the perimeter of the plaza is accessible to the public and anyone local could get pictures of the work completed to date. As someone involved with the project, I won’t post any photos without the approval of the developer and it’s just not worth jumping through those hoops.

I can tell you that the plaza is progressing nicely. The concrete is all poured, the pergolas are in places, the soil contouring is done and the paving stones are mostly complete. There’s primarily the completion of the fountain system, accent lighting and planting to be completed. It should all be done by midsummer.

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 3:09 PM

edited

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 3:45 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Regrub is awesome! That will be sweet for Riverlanding!
Had it once and didn't go back.

Tasty, but 40000 calories and more of a gimmick.

But it was super popular while it lasted... for about two years.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 8:13 PM

edited

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 9:45 PM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Had it once and didn't go back.

Tasty, but 40000 calories and more of a gimmick.

But it was super popular while it lasted... for about two years.
Lmao… the f*ck I just read?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 9, 2021, 11:36 AM

Walking around this area in the evening you really notice how this project lacks evening activity… they sure better incentivize a popular restaurant or two to these spaces… the lack of patio in this area is pretty sad.

Notice how there’s basically no lights on at the RL condo - where are the ultra rich that bought these expensive condos?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan