HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 4:33 PM

The Edmonton Project

http://theedmontonproject.ca/

Quote:
Edmontonians get excited about doing an idea. They get excited about creating a story.
The Edmonton Project brings these two components together.

The objective is to inspire all Edmontonians (yes, all of you) to develop an idea that can become a permanent place of attraction.
Something that contributes to our story.
Something you would want to see on a postcard.
Something that you would want people on the other side of the world to talk about. In a good way.

It’s not about fabricating a statue or iconic structure to give us a reason to be proud. It’s about finding the idea that can exist within our environment and be used as a testament to who we are.

The Edmonton Project will uncover and bring to life that one idea. It’s out there.
Quote:
Be passionate. Be genuine. Be innovative. But most of all, be part of this story. We are looking to Edmontonians for their ideas on something that can help answer the question, “What’s Edmonton Made Of?” The idea, whatever it is, wherever it is, will forever be a testament in Edmonton to who we are.
We want to hear from everyone. Tell us what you want to see, where you want to see it, and how it defines us. This is, after all, Edmonton’s project.
Idea submissions will be accepted from August 25 until October 20, 2017.
At first, I wasn't quite sure how this was different from Make Something Edmonton (who are involved) but my understanding is that this is a Dragon's Den type of thing where you submit a community-building new idea, and 5 corporations help make it happen.

Anyway, if you have a Great Idea for a Greater Edmonton, maybe this will help.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 4:42 PM
Community Guy

This one is going to be very interesting to follow...

My suggestion:

Museum of industry and innovation in the old Rossdale power gen station with a market condo or 2 to kick-off the West Rossdale Plan. Add in a brewery and restaurant in the old pump house with a new, larger patio and a park/performance space tucked in on the SWC of the space next to the bridge/touch the water.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 4:57 PM

Yeah I'm also thinking of some ideas with the old Rossdale plant. Also brainstorming some ideas for Lower Rossdale, the river valley, End of Steel, East Whyte, Quarters and Blatchford.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 4:48 PM

When I was imagining what Rossdale might look like, I had imagined something similar to the new Ritchie Market on a larger scale. Perhaps something like Halifax's waterfront with pubs, coffee shops, shops, and the ability to walk along the water. Whatever happened to that canal idea?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
It’s about finding the idea that can exist within our environment and be used as a testament to who we are.
I understand there are some concerns about garbage on the accidental beach, but I kinda' like the idea of it. I dunno' something like "If Edmonton can't go to the beach, the beach will come to Edmonton." Clearly, no one would expects to find a beach in Edmonton. If the city gets behind the idea, it could be quite a unique attraction.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 9:33 PM

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...de-on-edmonton

This is why this is important.

Better half and I went to the last ESO performance of the year a couple months back. We thought we'd walk around downtown a bit. It was the most disheartening thing I've done recently. Saturday night and Jasper Ave was deserted, except for a few extremely aggressive and questionable characters, and a few others who likely just wanted to appear that way. We talked to a couple from out of town who were clearly afraid and extremely uncomfortable. I was personally less afraid than sad, disgusted, and humiliated.

Enough with the negatives, though. We should go ahead with the idea of a weir to raise the level of the river. The weir itself is not something that would make for a pretty postcard, but perhaps the Edmonton Queen docked in front Ft. Edmonton or Rossdale would be. Or yes, the beach idea with the skyline in the background. A more usable river valley could allow a lot of other tourism-friendly ideas to sprout organically, and would necessitate more hotel rooms in the downtown core.... hopefully.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 10:46 PM

Bad review of Edmonton by Lonely Planet as per Global.

Edmonton continues to get these a few times a year and it is an issue which we have to work hard on.

We cannot ignore these reviews and I will ask my civic candidates what they would do to increase Edmontons image and identity when I talk to them.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 10:50 PM
Community Guy

... and who/how are they being responded to.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 11:37 PM

How old is that Lonely Planet review anyway?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 12:07 AM

The Latest edition of their guide - 2017

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 12:08 AM

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinb View Post
When I was imagining what Rossdale might look like, I had imagined something similar to the new Ritchie Market on a larger scale. Perhaps something like Halifax's waterfront with pubs, coffee shops, shops, and the ability to walk along the water. Whatever happened to that canal idea?
Rossdale has so much potential. I have always imagined turning the top of it into a large patio or a bunch of smaller patios or open spaces with shops, pubs, a brewery, distillery, museum, theatre, stage, performing Center, etc. The possibilities are endless without even mentioning all of the great ideas for the areas surrounding it and the waterfront.

Last edited by kel; Sep 6, 2017 at 1:23 AM. Reason: Spelling

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
Sounds like a Calgarian written that up, I wouldn't be surprised if I was right.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 3:08 AM

^ you have to wonder about all these reviews. I know we have our share of problems to deal with but so does every major city
I am frankly tired of this garbage.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 3:35 AM

I sent a email to them to clarify many positive points about Edmonton. And to make them aware that this article was poorly written and lacked any kind of real substance that makes Edmonton the city that it is.

They responded back in 30 min!!

They are looking into it....so they said.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
Sounds like a Calgarian written that up, I wouldn't be surprised if I was right.
No question there wasn't much effort by the travel writer to get to know Edmonton, but what do you expect when the main bus/train station is located in a semi industrial area without proper sidewalks and there isn't even a tourist pass available on public transit.

Tourists aren't going to flock to Edmonton by themselves -- serious effort needs to be made by the City, EIA, Economic Development and private business to ensure people have a reason to come to Edmonton to spend their money. If tourists aren't seeing the best side of the city it is our job to change that.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
I sent a email to them to clarify many positive points about Edmonton. And to make them aware that this article was poorly written and lacked any kind of real substance that makes Edmonton the city that it is.

They responded back in 30 min!!

They are looking into it....so they said.
Thanks, I figured emailing them would be a total waste of time, but maybe I will.

I'd like to see rent and travel receipts from the writer who seems to have lived here an entire year so as to objectively how freezing cold it is here all year long .....

Objectively. Phaw!

Anyway, good news is, won't have to bother buying that trash for "credible" info on places we plan to visit.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkoe View Post
No question there wasn't much effort by the travel writer to get to know Edmonton, but what do you expect when the main bus/train station is located in a semi industrial area without proper sidewalks and there isn't even a tourist pass available on public transit.

Tourists aren't going to flock to Edmonton by themselves -- serious effort needs to be made by the City, EIA, Economic Development and private business to ensure people have a reason to come to Edmonton to spend their money. If tourists aren't seeing the best side of the city it is our job to change that.
Your absolutely right - we are terrible when it comes to tourists and transportation within the city. That is something the city should be working on.
Make it an enjoyable experience not a frustrating one.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 9:41 PM

^a lot of the problems a tourist would have here are Canada wide problems as well.

Renting a car is super expensive in Canada's
Public transport is generally garbage
You can't get a cheap SIM card to have data for your phone in Canada
All the cities worth going to are super spread out so you can't just do a 1 week trip and see all the sites
Food costs are pretty high
Hotels are super expensive with a distinct lack of cheap micro hotels/hostels

I am surprised Canada gets as much tourism as it does

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 7:44 PM
Community Guy

The deadline is the 20th, get your submissions in!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton