HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Absolutely Ken, but those are for traditional construction. Costs rise if you add units as you so clearly describe.
What do you mean by traditional construction? Ken's explanation makes total sense. Everybody needs a door, a sink, a toilet...

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 8:29 PM
Community Guy

If you go into lofts or other varieties of shared common space...

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 9:15 PM

Quote:
If you go into lofts or other varieties of shared common space...
???

what does that even mean relative to the higher construction cost per square foot of micro suites ?

if two people share a traditional 800 sf two bedroom condo and share most of its space, it will drop their individual cost to half the price of the unit but it doesn’t change the psf cost of that unit to them or for the builder.

and it still won’t directly compare to the cost psf of a 400 sf micro suite either.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 12:17 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Another cool company from Russia is making affordable micro cabins. Their base model is 26m2 and costs about $35K CAD at current exchange rates... http://dubldom.com/home

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 6:19 AM

Habitat for Humanity Edmonton needs volunteers to finish biggest build in charity's history

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...nton-1.4438664

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 1:04 AM
Community Guy

Resurrected to ensure that we keep it top of mind and relevant as we move forward.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 1:11 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 4:10 PM
A Better Place

It is a great idea to use currently empty hotels for the homeless, especially if the Feds will provide funding, as they will provide a great temporary option to bridge the gap until more permanent supportive housing and affordable housing units are completed.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 2:58 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Nice to see this back in the forefront even if it took a bloody pandemic/economic crash to do so... Too bad we've also had decades to deal with the issue while many people even on here continue to make excuses on behalf of very ignorant people...

ANYWAY... It's a good idea, especially Northlands. As a former employee of the company and a resident of Highlands the site is primed for redevelopment and because of its central location, great transport links and of course public ownership. And there were so many people "sleeping rough" over those 132 acres it just makes sense to make at least part of it official public housing... It was happening already especially at the jockey barns which people were only kicked out of basically for their own safety... Black mold, standing water, electricity wasn't up to code... Glad to see that building it the first piece in turning around the site... Personally I'd love to have an apartment that overlooks the upgraded Borden Park..

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 12:17 AM
Community Guy

City of Edmonton launches plan for temporary pandemic accommodation
October 5, 2020

The City of Edmonton is moving forward with a plan to provide temporary pandemic accommodation for homeless Edmontonians.

The City is concerned for the safety and well-being of those sleeping rough including those living in temporary encampments. There are approximately 2,000 people experiencing homelessness in Edmonton, with more than 600 sleeping outside or unsheltered on any given night — including those at major encampments.

“The City of Edmonton is leading the plan to provide immediate accommodation options made possible through temporary funding from senior levels of government, and will be working with community partners and agencies to operate and provide service,” said Interim City Manager Adam Laughlin. “Bringing people out of the cold into temporary housing is our immediate goal as we continue working on bridge housing and other long-term options to keep people safe.”

The City will be using a City-owned facility, to provide temporary, 24-7 accommodation with day programming and meal service until March 2021. The City’s goal is to open this temporary accommodation by the end of October.

The City is also identifying short-term bridge accommodation options while the City works with community partners to prepare submissions for federal funds for supportive housing and the conversion of existing buildings to affordable housing.

The City will be working closely with social service agencies and business associations to ensure the transition to temporary pandemic accommodation is respectful and the needs of all stakeholders are taken into consideration.

“The long term solution to homelessness is housing. The community needs supportive housing with support services and treatment available for those who are suffering from addictions, mental health issues and historical trauma,” said Mayor Don Iveson.

The City and its partners have a plan to quickly create supportive, suitable accommodation options for people experiencing homelessness and will continue advocating for ongoing funding from other orders of government to help the more vulnerable population in our community.

Media contact:
Carol Hurst
Senior Communications Advisor
Communications and Engagement
587-987-7166

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
Too bad we've also had decades to deal with the issue while many people even on here continue to make excuses on behalf of very ignorant people...
Just save some of that compassion for those 'ignorant people' who are barely making ends meet, and do without many comforts. When these people complain or balk, it's not because of greed it's because the only thing that seems to come their way is increases in rent, food prices, insurance or taxes.

The research components that prove that these measures save taxpayer money aren't shared well enough and are always countered by special interest groups, that seem to own many politicians, and would rather the money be funneled into their coffers than help people.

Some on this site think nothing of dropping a couple 'brown notes' on a nice meal out. Meanwhile there are people, who aren't homeless, but consider buying name brand products as splurging.

Last edited by Landlocked; Oct 6, 2020 at 3:45 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 4:47 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlocked View Post
Just save some of that compassion for those 'ignorant people' who are barely making ends meet, and do without many comforts. When these people complain or balk, it's not because of greed it's because the only thing that seems to come their way is increases in rent, food prices, insurance or taxes.

The research components that prove that these measures save taxpayer money aren't shared well enough and are always countered by special interest groups, that seem to own many politicians, and would rather the money be funneled into their coffers than help people.

Some on this site think nothing of dropping a couple 'brown notes' on a nice meal out. Meanwhile there are people, who aren't homeless, but consider buying name brand products as splurging.
Seconded - housing people costs considerably less over the long term than leaving people homeless.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Seconded - housing people costs considerably less over the long term than leaving people homeless.
i think Landlocked was talking more about those people in subsistent housing and subsistent circumstances financially than the homeless. and he/she is right as they are often stuck in that "pipeline to homelessness" that doesn't get the same attention and headlines as those who are homeless. there is almost no opportunity for upward mobility and every risk of spiraling downward.

at the risk of paraphrasing someone else poorly, there is no "almost homeless industry" and if the pipeline isn't fixed, we will never fix homelessness (and the issues surrounding it) either.

ps. at the risk of my losing my "slightly to the left of attila the hun" reputation, i don't think this can be "fixed" on the supply side. it needs to be fixed on the demand side (which allows for a host of other advantages including mobility and lack of segregation) and that will require a universal basic income. and along with that, i think we need to legalize all drugs. while covid-19 is the pandemic that gets all of the headlines. we have 5 people dying of drug overdoses every two days in this province. if that's not also a pandemic, i'm not sure what is.

Last edited by kcantor; Oct 6, 2020 at 5:24 PM.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 8:16 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 9:34 PM
Community Guy

City to use Edmonton Convention Centre for temporary pandemic accommodation
October 9, 2020

The City of Edmonton will use part of the Edmonton Convention Centre for temporary pandemic accommodation for vulnerable individuals as part of its commitment to ending homelessness in Edmonton.

The City is concerned for the safety and well-being of those sleeping rough including those living in temporary encampments. There are approximately 2,000 people experiencing homelessness in Edmonton, with more than 600 sleeping outside or unsheltered on any given night — including those at major encampments.

“The pandemic created a gap in services and increased the number of people falling into homeless each month,” said Interim City Manager Adam Laughlin. “This temporary facility provides those people with safety, services, and a pathway to permanent housing.”

People who stay at the temporary pandemic accommodation will have a safe, warm place to sleep, receive daily meals and have access to storage, washrooms and shower facilities. They will also have access to culturally appropriate health and wellness support, including mental health and addiction resources, as well as housing support workers who can help them transition into bridge accommodation and find longer term housing.

“As operators of an important community asset, we need to be open to pivoting our business to support our community and vulnerable populations as we navigate this pandemic together,” said Arlindo Gomes, Vice President of Venue Management, Explore Edmonton. “We have prepared our venues to welcome guests while adhering by strict health and safety standards and all Government of Alberta requirements. Given the size of our venue and our recent experience hosting an activation of this scope and scale at the Edmonton EXPO Centre, we are confident that the Edmonton Convention Centre will be a safe space for those experiencing homelessness.”

The facility will be open 24/7 and operated by community agencies from Edmonton’s homeless serving sector. Up to 300 people overnight and up to 400 people during the day will be able to access the space which will open at the end of October and remain in operation until March 31, 2021.

Additional details on the services to be offered at the facility, and the agencies providing each of those services, will be shared as soon as they are available.

Earlier this year the City and partners activated the Edmonton EXPO Centre for vulnerable individuals who required a safe environment. The City has produced a video highlighting the support provided at the EXPO Centre.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/homelessness

Media contact:
Carol Hurst
Senior Communications Advisor
Communications and Engagement
587-987-7166

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 4:39 PM
Community Guy

$234k/unit

---
Don Iveson
@doniveson
·
18h
Today the federal government announced #Edmonton will receive $17.3-million from the Rapid Housing Initiative (RHI) which will help us create 74 units for Edmontonians experiencing homelessness. This funding announcement is a great first step in our plan to end homelessness.
https://twitter.com/doniveson/status...06480037507072

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 7:34 PM

Quote:
$234k/unit

---
Don Iveson
@doniveson
·
18h
Today the federal government announced #Edmonton will receive $17.3-million from the Rapid Housing Initiative (RHI) which will help us create 74 units for Edmontonians experiencing homelessness. This funding announcement is a great first step in our plan to end homelessness.
Not too familiar with this but is the money for existing spaces or will it be used to build a space for homelessness?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 9:34 PM

Quote:
$234k/unit

---
Don Iveson
@doniveson
·
18h
And a lot more money for Calgary. That's where a mega-city wins out, versus all the fiefdoms in the Capital Region.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 9:56 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
And a lot more money for Calgary. That's where a mega-city wins out, versus all the fiefdoms in the Capital Region.
$17.3 million here vs $24.6 million in Cowtown. Not a crazy difference between the two and doesn't seem unreasonable given the population differences.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
$234k/unit

---
Don Iveson
@doniveson
·
18h
from this morning's edmonton journal reporting:

"About 2,000 people are currently experiencing homelessness in Edmonton with the city projecting 180 people becoming homeless each month."

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...s-homelessness

if the same $234k per unit is used and even if two people per unit are assumed ($117k per person), it will take $10,530,000 per month to stop increasing the number of homeless. which is why, as much as we need the temporary measures, we need to recognize and fix the cause instead of throwing more money at the symptoms.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton