HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast

Old Posted May 20, 2007, 5:11 AM
Green Man

All in the Wegmans Family

From the Syracuse Post-Standard-

All in the Wegmans Family
Wegmans focuses future growth on the Northeast Sunday, May 20, 2007By Bob Niedt Staff writer
Wegmans Food Markets Inc. is one of the most respected supermarket companies in the world.

Its route to that summit goes through Central New York, the first region it expanded into after growing up in its hometown of Rochester starting in 1916.

Wegmans has expanded and evolved as it has grown, its footprint now reaching into the Washington, D.C., market by way of Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

But it remains firmly in the Wegman family hands as the company transitions to a new generation. Its chief executive officer is Danny Wegman, 60, and its president is Danny's daughter, Colleen Wegman, 36. Another daughter, Nicole, 32, is heading Nicole's Wine & Spirits, a separate Wegmans venture that is tied to the company's interest in helping customers with wine choices.

Wegmans suffered a wrenching loss with the death a year ago of Danny's father, Wegmans patriarch and architect Robert B. Wegman, but his legacy lives on through philanthropy, especially to Catholic schools and colleges in the Rochester area, and the work of his wife, Margaret, and his children and grandchildren.

Danny Wegman and Colleen Wegman were in the Syracuse market recently touring the expanded DeWitt store, the largest Wegmans supermarket in the company's portfolio. Below are excerpts from a wide-ranging interview with The Post-Standard:

Q. Colleen, it's been a couple of years since you were named president of Wegmans. Has it - the job, the company - met your expectations?

Colleen Wegman: It's funny you ask me that. It hasn't seemed like necessarily a new assignment for me. This has been my life, to be a part of Wegmans. Because you grow up in the business, you feel like you are there to help in any way you can with whatever you are given. I consider every day a new opportunity. We always have new challenges, which makes it fun. So I'm having as much fun as I've ever had.

Danny Wegman: I'll tell you what's new. What's new is a little 1.5-year-old and a 3-year-old.

Colleen: (Laughs) Yes, what's happened in the past two years is that I now have two kids. Obviously, that's an exciting thing personally, but it's also been helpful to me in the business, because so many of our target customers are busy moms. It's given me a new perspective on how we might help with the fact that there are a lot people looking for ways to save time, to find healthy things for their families. It's helped us to focus on that, the fact that I'm going through the experience myself. So that's been new and fun.

Danny: It's really interesting having a family with different generations going through different things. It's been fascinating to see the evolutions we've gone through. Sunday family meals, for example. It used to be that Colleen and her husband would come down on Sundays, and (Nicole) and her husband (who have a 2-year-old), and we'd have kind of a long, extended event, cook different things and have this long, interactive family meal. Now that we have a bunch of 1-, 2- and 3-year-olds floating around, it changes everything.

Colleen: (Laughs) It's interactive in a new way. We don't sit quite as long, have as many courses.

Danny: We still have the family meals, but we do them a lot differently, a lot simpler. That's one of the big things we've learned. And for Colleen to be the mother of two young children and working full time being president of our company, she doesn't have a lot of time when she gets home to feed the kids. So she is looking for good solutions to do that. That helps push us in directions where we can keep on coming up with meals that are either very easy for our customers to make or that they can take home or that Colleen can take home, and that's just what she does.

Colleen: I think we are always looking for ways that we can help. My dad is always challenging us to think for ourselves. What is it that we need? And we're recognizing the needs for ourselves, but also many of our customers who are asking us, "How can you help me get dinner on the table that is quick and gives me some health benefits at the same time, and is also affordable?" So it's a real focus for us: How can we help make that meal occasion more enjoyable overall? Whether it's through prepared foods or convenient items throughout the stores or just helping people put together things in a simple fashion that tastes good. So we're very focused on that as a company.

Q.

What are you doing to take this forward?

Colleen: What we're finding is that people are asking us for help with cooking techniques. So we spend a lot of time on one technique throughout an entire season that helps provide assistance for customers in cooking and also helps provide all the ingredients together in one place at our meal stations, with an educated person there to help. Our meal coaches are in the front of every one of our produce departments as you walk in our store. And they've been the primary point of contact to really help people with the cooking techniques and to try and make that meal easier. And also to allow them to taste it, that make sure they try it, and their kids get a chance to try it, to see if it will go over well at home.

Some of the other things we are working on are prepared foods, that when you don't want to cook at all, you can buy something prepared.

Q. With the retirement of senior vice president in charge of the Syracuse district Jerry O'Dell after 50 years (see accompanying story) and the promotion of longtime employee Shari Constantine to Jerry's post, can you talk about some of the values that drive the company and keep longtime employees?

Colleen: The one thing that we always know is that these folks and people throughout our company are bringing our values to life. We have five core values (see accompanying box) we all try to work on every day. They hang on the wall of our stores, but just don't hang on the wall. We see examples of them every day, all through our company, through all 35,000 employees.

Danny: It's real because we didn't make up those values and then say we want to do them. They were values that Jerry had and Shari had, and we wrote them down. It was actually in Syracuse in 2001 that we first talked about them. We hadn't written them down before.

You haven't asked about my dad not being around. It's funny, as we were talking about the things we have, this is where my dad is still around. Basically, those were his values. I think that's what continues at Wegmans. It's his true legacy. The other things we may tinker with or change; those are our values and we're sticking to them.

Q. what other concepts are you looking to grow within the company? There's been some movement with wine and spirits.

Danny: Our family has been in the wine and spirits business for at least 40 years. As we opened in Virginia, where you're only able to sell wine but the wine was right in the food store, the connection between food and wine just became so apparent. This is something our customers really want. They want to know what kind of wine goes with which meal. We decided if we're really going to help people with food, that we needed to help them with wine, too. We just kind of woke up to that. Our business grows if we help our customers. That's the simple way we look at it. What are their needs? It's always how we look at it.

(Wine can be sold in grocery stores in Virginia, but not in New York.)

Colleen: I think another need is people are looking for help with their health. Our mission as a business has been to help people with healthier and better lives. We have to figure out what we might work on that will really make a difference and help people around the five principles we've defined. Eat well, live well.

Q. How would you characterize the Syracuse market now? Is it mature? Are there ways to take it forward?

Danny: The fun thing about our business is that people change. People's habits and desires change over time. Take our business here. Our first store in the Syracuse market was the John Glenn store, which opened in 1968. That store is certainly a lot different than the one we opened there last year. You see an evolution; what we say is we follow our customers a few steps ahead. It's our job to anticipate where our customers want to go. If we have to regroup and refigure things out, we will do that.

Q. Q.

Colleen, with your age and gender, do you find many peers in this industry?

Colleen: I never really thought about it as male or female. I don't look at it in that way. But the industry is changing. What I see in the industry that is a little different at Wegmans - and I also see at Price Chopper - there's much less change in a family business than in the rest of the industry. This industry is constantly turning people over. Fortunately, there's a bit of a different culture here. You see people grow up together, and you see it at Price Chopper, another wonderful family business that we have great respect for.

Q. What about the supermarket trend toward smaller stores? Does that concern you that the industry is moving that way when you're building these bigger stores?

Danny: Actually, we're happy about it. Everyone has to have their own strategy. Our strategy is basically to have large, high-volume stores that offer a lot of services to customers, that allows them a full spectrum of whatever they want to buy.

We are still a very small company in the food business. So we really try to stick to a suburban model, where we can do an extremely good job at what we do - and not do too many formats, because that distracts you.

Q.

Where do you think the growth of the company geographically is right now?

Danny: We're a Northeast company. The challenge we always face is finding locations. Right now in the Northeast, we're focusing somewhere between Philadelphia and Washington, D.C., where primarily we will be growing. We only build a few stores a year. Our goal is to get better where we are. It's why we're redoing this store, why we redid John Glenn last year. We see things that our customers need. It takes a lot of work and a lot of investment to keep on providing customers what they need. Our basic plan is to grow everywhere.

Q.

Colleen, in staying one or two steps ahead of the customers, organics was one, with Wegmans' in-store Nature's Marketplace sections. You personally were kind of out front there in the grocery industry in leading Nature's Marketplace. Where do you see that going?

Colleen: That's a very exciting one for us, because it's one of the fastest-growing areas in the company. You're right, the DeWitt store had our second Nature's Marketplace. At the time, it was more of a unique department. Today, it's much more supported and much more mainstream, the product is accessible and convenient and a product that tastes a lot better than it did 13 years ago. It has evolved and improved and our customers are looking for them to make them be healthier. Quality has absolutely improved in organic produce. It should be as good or better than anything we sell in the store. Customers are asking for it.

Danny: We're starting an organic farm (in Canandaigua, on 20 acres near Danny Wegman's home). And the reason we're doing it is organic growing is a little different in this region. What we like to do is to buy from local farmers. We were concerned about asking them to switch to organics and maybe they wouldn't know how to do that. We're trying to come up with procedures and practices to share with the growers, just like we do in our stores. The approach we use in our stores is to perfect something in one store and share it with other stores. We want to perfect organic farming in this region and share it with the farmers who want to grow that way in this region. We see a big interest in it from our customers.

You can contact Bob Niedt at 470-2264 or bniedt@syracuse.com

Old Posted May 20, 2007, 5:35 AM
Green Man

For all you Northeasters that go to Wegmans, we really our lucky to have such a great supermarket. When i am out in the field at work at everything is suckin i talk about stuff from back home with other people and i talk about wegmans. Of course no one believes me how great it is, Until former 10th Mountain(Fort Drum) soldiers here it and quickly agree. Long live WEGMANS!!!

Old Posted May 20, 2007, 6:14 PM
America's Hometown

I love my Downingtown Wegmans!!!!!!!! They are already going to remodel the grocery area and the store has only been open for 4 years.

Old Posted May 20, 2007, 6:40 PM

I always wound up at Temple Walmart because the Allentown Wegmens was 30 minutes away as opposed to 5. My how I feel guilty.

Wegmen's even squashes its competition here in Montreal. Provigo and Loblaws have nothing on Wegmens and I hope it spreads north of the border (and in Reading, PA as well).

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 3:38 AM
Flower City

Good old Rochester Wegmans...!

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 3:41 AM
Eurosceptic

Does Wegman's have any urban locations in their system?

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 3:43 AM
Flower City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
In Rochester they had 4 but they are remodling a couple and building a new one. I just want them to build a Wegmans Tower someday in Rochester... Can only dream.

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 5:00 AM
Green Man

I know in Syracuse there are a few wegmans that are close to downtown but none in downtown. Theres not really a market for it yet, until upstate downtown see substantial growth, and i think we will see it...

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 5:08 AM

I'd be surprised if they continued south from Northern Virginia. Maybe Richmond and some NC metros but their best bet is to invest into New England. New England has some pretty standard places like Stop n Shop and Shaws but I haven't seen any really modernized places like Wegmans.

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 6:59 AM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMeltyMan View Post
I'd be surprised if they continued south from Northern Virginia. Maybe Richmond and some NC metros but their best bet is to invest into New England. New England has some pretty standard places like Stop n Shop and Shaws but I haven't seen any really modernized places like Wegmans.
I wouldn't be suprised. The South offers a lucrative high-growth market. Wegman's would probably eye expansion into Raleigh and Charlotte before any significant expansion into NE, despite geographic proximity. Rapidly growing NC metros with their huge suburban white-collar populations is the type of market Wegmans wants to be in. In addition, Raleigh has a massive Rochester expatriate community, so there's immediately some built-in familiarity with the brand. I'm not sure what local chains exist in NC already (Food Lion's Bloom concept is similar to Wegmans)... which is certainly a potential factor. I would assume Wegmans would plant a few locations in Richmond and maybe Norfolk area and continue expansion in the wealthy suburbia of DC/Baltimore/Philly/Jersey. Elsewhere I can see Wegmans adding some stores in the Lancaster/York area (Harrisburg is coming soon)... Albany... and maybe the northern extremities of the NYC metro (Poughkeepsie area)...

New England is a mature marketplace with stagnant growth prospects and a high cost of doing business. In addition to those already mentioned, New England is served by: Big Y, C-Town, Hannafold, Market Basket

Massachusetts alone has 17 Whole Foods and 16 Trader Joes... which while "organic"... fill that upscale niche.

I just don't see Wegmans being too interested in NE in comparison to their mid-atlantic footprint and further southern expansion.

But what do I know...

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 7:34 AM

That makes sense. The upscale places have their individual nuances but they seem to essentially have the same customer base whether it be organic, fine cuisine or whatever else. For some reason I still maintain a 90s mentality about the south-east. I know Food Lion is a somewhat veritable place but I'm assuming the SE is still littered with outdated places like Piggly Wiggly. The following maps show how wrong I am about suggesting Wegmens head east.

Trader Joes

Whole Foods

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 2:53 AM
(Middle-Island)

What-eman's?

We got--
King Kullen
PathMark
Shop-n-Stop
ShopRite
C-Town
IGA
Associated
Western Beef
Best Yet
Compare Foods
Waldbaum's

(I left out the gourmet/high-ass chains like Whole and Trader Joe's, Fairway....)

I also found an A&P in Westchester a few weeks ago! (The last one?)

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 2:59 AM
(Middle-Island)

Oh yeah. I forgot "Meat Farms"...but then again who doesn't??

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 12:36 PM
America's Hometown

For anyone who thinks their market is already saturated with stores and see no reason why Wegmans should try to push in, the suburban Philadelphia market was the same way and Wegmans came barreling in and were immediately successful. They are just better at what they do than everyone else.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 3:11 PM
(Middle-Island)

Well, that wasn't my point of listing the chains. It does however seem strange they've bypassed a Long Island market of nearly 3 million. Although true, nothing is ever too saturated for an aggressive competitor new to the market.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 3:42 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNation View Post
For anyone who thinks their market is already saturated with stores and see no reason why Wegmans should try to push in, the suburban Philadelphia market was the same way and Wegmans came barreling in and were immediately successful. They are just better at what they do than everyone else.
RIP Clemens

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Island View Post
What-eman's?

We got--
King Kullen
PathMark
Shop-n-Stop
ShopRite
C-Town
IGA
Associated
Western Beef
Best Yet
Compare Foods
Waldbaum's

(I left out the gourmet/high-ass chains like Whole and Trader Joe's, Fairway....)

I also found an A&P in Westchester a few weeks ago! (The last one?)
I've shopped King Kullen, Waldbaum's, etc., but Weggie's has 'em beat (King Kullen comes close).....though I could live without the brown/orange color scheme.....maybe something brighter though not quite like PUBLIX in FL.....

Last edited by donybrx; May 23, 2007 at 1:13 AM.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
There are talks of Wegmans opening their third location in Erie downtown. A smaller-sized store would be the anchor of a proposed retail development between East 12th and East 13th Streets. Representatives were involved in talks with the city concerning their part in the retail component of the newly adopted downtown revitalization plan. Unfortunately, I really don't see it happening anytime soon.

The two current Wegmans locations are in suburban Summit (PA's first Wegmans) and Millcreek Townships, and before the 2nd location (Millcreek) was determined, there was talk that it would be built within Erie city limits (obviously that didn't happen).

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 3:17 AM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Island View Post
Well, that wasn't my point of listing the chains. It does however seem strange they've bypassed a Long Island market of nearly 3 million. Although true, nothing is ever too saturated for an aggressive competitor new to the market.
Probably because land prices are too high on Long Island. Their new stores are enormous...about as big as a Home Depot. I guess they would have to evaluate how much the store would do in profits to cover the costs. Although, Wegmans would probably do well there.

Old Posted May 23, 2007, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMeltyMan View Post
The following maps show how wrong I am about suggesting Wegmens head east.

Trader Joes

Whole Foods

I don't know... I think your suggestion of them heading east may be in the cards. Definitely lots of Trader Joes and Whole Foods, but Wegmans really isn't the same type of store as those two are. Wegmans attracts a much broader spectrum of the population. Wegmans is a much larger supermarket than TJs and WFs (with a higher quality level of products than your average supermarket) that also offers a large selection of "specialty" items. So I'm not sure that they couldn't coexist. In fact, I think that Wegmans would benefit at TJs and WFs expense. Those two are great stores, but for weekly shopping... lower prices on specialty items and a much larger selection of all your basics at Wegmans... I know where I'd shop if I had the choice. God, I sound like a Wegmans commercial...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast