HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 7:05 AM
why try anymore

Location: Where we can lose things, and replace them with nothing...or a wananbe yaletown
Connect2Edmonton releases Top Ten

Hello all!

Many of you here may remember that a few Edmonton forumers got together and made a group called PROMOTE-Edmonton. While that group still exists, it has spearheaded another Edmonton initiative that many of you here know of as Connect2Edmonton.

Well, after a contest where we offered a trip for 2 to London, England as a reward for submitting your "Great Idea for a Greater Edmonton", we compiled the first annual Top Ten list from this event. For 2006, it is as follows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connect2Edmonton
News Release Jan. 2, 2006

C2E announces top-10 ‘great ideas’ for Edmonton
— Edmonton’s online community offers hundreds of ideas to enhance region

Connect2Edmonton.com (C2E) --- an autonomous global community that encourages discussion and collaboration on topics of importance to Edmonton’s future --- has announced 10 priority ideas that have emerged from its recent “Great Ideas for a Greater Edmonton” contest.

The ‘Great Ideas’ contest encouraged C2E members – membership is free for everyone – to submit all ideas, big and small, that could help enhance Greater Edmonton’s national profile, quality of life or future development. The intention of this unprecedented undertaking was to engage Edmonton enthusiasts worldwide in a positive dialogue to develop a new, inspirational regional vision.

The hundreds of ideas submitted to the contest were overwhelmingly focused on six areas (in alphabetical order): art and architecture; cleaning up the city; downtown development; river valley development; tourism; and transportation.

A year-end, top-10 list of ‘Great Ideas for Greater Edmonton’ was developed by weighting C2E’s top-100 discussion ‘threads’ (as determined by the number of postings and views that each ‘great idea’ attracted) with input from 16 C2E volunteers who responded to an all-member invite to participate in a panel discussion. Here is C2E’s top-10 list of Great Ideas for Greater Edmonton for 2007:

1. Redevelop Rossdale
Redevelop the EPCOR plant in Rossdale on a scale similar to Granville Island (Vancouver) or The Forks (Winnipeg) … preferably with an architectural icon, new river valley amenities and an aboriginal cultural centre.

2. Clean up the city
Citizens are tired of complaining. Edmonton needs a comprehensive, year-round plan and measurable, public benchmarks to dramatically reduce litter (especially cigarette butts), graffiti and panhandling. C2E members also want more greenery throughout the city and suggest a corporate competition to encourage businesses to plant flowers and trees, especially along major thoroughfares.

3. Launch Winter Festival / World’s Fair bid
There is significant interest in an annual winter festival to celebrate Edmonton’s destiny as the Gateway to the North and the largest northern-most major city in North America. Ideas to increase outdoor, winter activities include an amateur street hockey tournament. There is also interest in Edmonton making a bid to host a World’s Fair in 2017 to mark Canada’s 150th birthday.

4. Expand the LRT
Expansion of the LRT (and mass transportation in general) is critical --- planning should begin immediately for a West Edmonton Mall and Edmonton International Airport connection.

5. Enhance Edmonton’s national image
Edmonton needs to invest the needed resources on an ongoing basis to aggressively promote itself nationally and internationally to attract visitors, new businesses and needed workers.

6. Improve roadways
Edmonton desperately needs a new bridge over the North Saskatchewan River as well as an unimpeded flow of traffic from downtown to the airport beyond the planned 23rd Avenue interchange.

7. Build a new downtown arena
Although Edmonton’s downtown is growing, much more can be done to create more livable spaces and upgrade the city’s architectural standards to attract more residents … especially in East Jasper and Chinatown. C2E members favour a new downtown arena combined with a major, new recreation facility.

8. Build an architectural icon
Edmonton deserves a world-class architectural icon --- a tall tower, new convention centre or stunning bridge --- to set a new benchmark for development, mark its place as a major capital city and to extract a legacy dividend from the greatest economic boom in the city’s history.

9. Encourage more public art
Public art --- statues, paintings and even light projections --- are valued and need to be encouraged … especially on the city’s many unappealing concrete walls. More local artists should be commissioned and more local contests are needed to showcase local talent.

10. Celebrate the High Level Bridge
Edmonton’s signature landmark should be celebrated with permanent lights, by running the waterfall throughout the summer and perhaps even by suspending a gallery or café from the bridge infrastructure.

“This top-10 list is just a sampling of hundreds of ideas --- some long-term and some doable in 2007 --- submitted by Edmonton enthusiasts from all over the world,” says Richard Skermer, C2E’s volunteer co-chair. “Everyone who cares about the future of our region is encouraged to review these inspiring submissions on C2E … and then collaborate online with people who passionately support these ideas to help transform our city.”

A community leader will be identified and invited to write a guest column on C2E in response to each of these top-10 ideas.

C2E has attracted 880 members in 20-plus countries and generated more than 18,000 postings in just nine months. Visit www.connect2edmonton.com to view a categorized list of all ‘great ideas’ collected.
So, what do you all think?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 7:09 AM
A long time gone

well, i think Edmonton is truly... hopeless

ok, now crucify me

-------------
"The spider spins his web in the Palace of the Caesars,
An owl hoots in the towers of Afrasiyab."

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 7:11 AM
Briareos Hecatonchires

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritedenergy
well, i think Edmonton is truly... hopeless

ok, now crucify me
^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonchuck
So, what do you all think?
This is something I hope the city can address in a timely manner ASAP.

Last edited by CanadianCentaur; Jan 7, 2007 at 7:29 AM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 7:26 AM

Edmonton’s signature landmark should be celebrated with permanent lights, by running the waterfall throughout the summer and perhaps even by suspending a gallery or café from the bridge infrastructure.

Being from Edmonton I definitely agree with the first nine, the river valley has so much Potential.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 7:55 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by edzed View Post

Being from Edmonton I definitely agree with the first nine, the river valley has so much Potential.
whats the purpos of that bridge anyhow?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 8:14 AM
Urban Advocate

to do what most bridges do... act as a span for transportation between two portions of land.

(cars and pedestrian)
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 8:19 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by onishenko View Post
to do what most bridges do... act as a span for transportation between two portions of land.

(cars and pedestrian)
ok then

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 8:37 AM
DRINK

I thought it holds the two banks of the river valley from seperating and forming a mile deep canyon.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 8:12 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Plus like it or not, the High Level Bridge, is the Edmonton equivalent of SF's Golden Gate Bridge, Sydney's Harbour Bridge or Vancouver's Lion's Gate Bridge. Personally I love the bridge because it is so very Edmonton. It's understated, functional and simple but beautiful none the less.

Personally I think the top 10 list is great and I look forward to seeing citizen, government and business initiatives based on the ideas.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2007, 8:45 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOtime View Post
I thought it holds the two banks of the river valley from seperating and forming a mile deep canyon.
I knew it! Although I had always though the opposite, that it kept the river banks from coming together forming an GINORMOUS (gigantic + enormous) mountain range in the middle of Edmonton.

Seriously though those are some great ideas, I really hope you get the ball rolling on some of them up there!

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 5:15 PM

10 Years Later - How'd we do?

Thought I'd go back and see some of the old threads and what they were about. 10 years after C2E made this list, I'd say Edmonton checked some boxes!

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 10:15 PM
Community Guy

All but one, check! What a throwback! I recall our meetings at Telus 33 Rich

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 2:08 AM

I think we have been very successful in the number of goals achieved to date.

Perhaps it's time to create a new top ten!

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 2:23 AM

Quote:
1. Redevelop Rossdale
Redevelop the EPCOR plant in Rossdale on a scale similar to Granville Island (Vancouver) or The Forks (Winnipeg) … preferably with an architectural icon, new river valley amenities and an aboriginal cultural centre.
Not Done
11 years later, still no action on this.

Quote:
2. Clean up the city
Citizens are tired of complaining. Edmonton needs a comprehensive, year-round plan and measurable, public benchmarks to dramatically reduce litter (especially cigarette butts), graffiti and panhandling. C2E members also want more greenery throughout the city and suggest a corporate competition to encourage businesses to plant flowers and trees, especially along major thoroughfares.
Done
Still some room for improvement.

Quote:
3. Launch Winter Festival / World’s Fair bid
There is significant interest in an annual winter festival to celebrate Edmonton’s destiny as the Gateway to the North and the largest northern-most major city in North America. Ideas to increase outdoor, winter activities include an amateur street hockey tournament. There is also interest in Edmonton making a bid to host a World’s Fair in 2017 to mark Canada’s 150th birthday.
World's Fair - Not Done
Because Harper killed it over some bullshit security excuses but mainly because it was not a Calgary bid.

Winter Festival - Done

Quote:
4. Expand the LRT
Expansion of the LRT (and mass transportation in general) is critical --- planning should begin immediately for a West Edmonton Mall and Edmonton International Airport connection.
Not Done Yet
LRT Expansion is happening slowly but surely, though still not to WEM nor EIA.

Quote:
5. Enhance Edmonton’s national image
Edmonton needs to invest the needed resources on an ongoing basis to aggressively promote itself nationally and internationally to attract visitors, new businesses and needed workers.
Done.
More room for improvement though.

Quote:
6. Improve roadways
Edmonton desperately needs a new bridge over the North Saskatchewan River as well as an unimpeded flow of traffic from downtown to the airport beyond the planned 23rd Avenue interchange.
New Bridge - Not Done.
Construction of the new Walterdale Bridge has dragged on and on.
But it's not really a brand new crossing, is it?

Unimpeded EIA-downtown traffic - Not Done.
New bridge is still going to be fed by that ridiculous hairpin at Sask Drive. There was a good plan to fix this, but the City's transportation planning department totally botched it (quelle surprise) that led to its demise. Not including this in the new Walterdale is a missed opportunity.

Quote:
7. Build a new downtown arena
Although Edmonton’s downtown is growing, much more can be done to create more livable spaces and upgrade the city’s architectural standards to attract more residents … especially in East Jasper and Chinatown. C2E members favour a new downtown arena combined with a major, new recreation facility.
New arena - Done!
Major new recreation facility - community rink? new YMCA?

Quote:
8. Build an architectural icon
Edmonton deserves a world-class architectural icon --- a tall tower, new convention centre or stunning bridge --- to set a new benchmark for development, mark its place as a major capital city and to extract a legacy dividend from the greatest economic boom in the city’s history.
Done?
Anything else besides Rogers Place and Art Gallery?

Quote:
9. Encourage more public art
Public art --- statues, paintings and even light projections --- are valued and need to be encouraged … especially on the city’s many unappealing concrete walls. More local artists should be commissioned and more local contests are needed to showcase local talent.
Done!

Quote:
Done!
Well OK, there's no cafe, no more waterfall. But we have Light the Bridge which is lit up to commemorate various things.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton