HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 7:34 PM

How much "new sprawl" is Junk?

Outside the Henday is one big collection of show homes and half done complexes. How much is pure junk?

Last edited by strathunter; Jul 13, 2021 at 11:18 PM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 8:21 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by strathunter View Post
Outside the Henday is one big collection of show homes and half done complexes. How much is pure junk?
Like this from Park Homes http://parkhomewoes.xyz/
There are plenty of good home builders in Edmonton. There are some bad ones as well. Being outside the Henday doesn't automatically lessen the quality of the development. There are infill homes built in mature neighborhoods, and downtown apartment buildings that are poor quality as well. Generally reputable builders built decent quality buildings.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
There are plenty of good home builders in Edmonton. There are some bad ones as well. Being outside the Henday doesn't automatically lessen the quality of the development. There are infill homes built in mature neighborhoods, and downtown apartment buildings that are poor quality as well. Generally reputable builders built decent quality buildings.
Understood

Last edited by strathunter; Jul 14, 2021 at 12:24 AM. Reason: old

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 2:13 PM
I smash you

^
My understanding is that every unit in Edmonton has to be inspected by the City before it is deemed habitable. That being said, the City does not accept liability for something it may have missed that wasn't obvious during the inspection. There is significant growth in south Edmonton, but not to an insane degree, or to a degree that would preclude the possibility of inspections being skipped/missed/neglected.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Understood but it seems things do not get inspected in Edmonton. If they did companies like mentioned in OP wouldnt be building junk as they do. Building in the outskirts provides a bit of a cloak over scrutiny vs something going up in the downtown core.Plus the permit money is attractive for otherwise vacant space.

The question is real. Whats really happening with inspections. Because there is an insane amount of units being built and with the number of inspectors its physically impossible to inspect all units at all stages required. So its a valid question that needs answering I think.
There have been TV programs out there that are dedicated to the things inspectors miss, making it clear it's a country-wide issue. Inspectors are not omniscient and many companies are adept at covering sloppy workmanship up before the inspector sees it. This leaves the inspector in a bad spot where they have to either insist things be torn apart again for a proper inspection OR assume it was done correctly by the supposedly trained tradespeople. As a previous Jayman homeowner, I will never trust a builder, large or small, without doing my own inspections at all stages.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 5:01 PM

An inspector at City of Surrey told me once that after he had gone in to do a pre-board inspection, he was sitting in his vehicle typing up some stuff when he saw the contractors carrying insulation from one home to another. Went back in the home and sure enough, insulation missing from the walls he had just inspected. Rescinded his inspection approval and left. There are some truly shady builders out there.

On another note, we were going to buy this place in Beverly but ran away kicking and screaming after the home inspection. We did buy it sight unseen as it looked good and my brother in law took a look at it for us and on the surface it looked decent. Too bad, it would've been a perfect place for us, but looking back the neighbourhood was not great anyway so no huge loss. Settled for a bungalow in Fraser instead.

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/S...on-Heights#v=d

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albicaulis View Post
^
My understanding is that every unit in Edmonton has to be inspected by the City before it is deemed habitable. That being said, the City does not accept liability for something it may have missed that wasn't obvious during the inspection. There is significant growth in south Edmonton, but not to an insane degree, or to a degree that would preclude the possibility of inspections being skipped/missed/neglected.
old

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 3:27 PM
I smash you

^
City of Edmonton building inspection process

That plus getting a private inspection completed during purchase of a new or used home will deal with 99% of the issues you are talking about. $500 for an inspection when you're paying several 100 k is not even a question. There will still always be the occasional nightmare scenario, but that'll happen everywhere. As for the total number of inspections or units being built, the City would likely be a better source than this forum.

Condo issues are different kettle of fish and are largely a result of inadequate legislation.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 5:26 PM

old

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Private inpections? You realize the vast majority of these people have zero building experience right? They take a course. They have zero liability beyond their fee. Meaning, if they miss everything the only thing you can sue them for is the fee they charged.

I would never say dont get an inspection. But GOOD inspectors are as hard to find as the house. This is for the same reason junk exists in the first place. Inspectors should have credentials beyond taking a course with Housemasters etc and opening a franchise. Its another thing created to help the builders and agents not the consumer. People get a false set of confidence.

But then people in my complex dont know what a strata is despite paying every month so ... I am starting to think the town is a lost cause.
How is that an Edmonton issue? It's a general population issue.

The COEs inspections are for safety and regulatory compliance, not about if your tiles are bonded correctly or if you doors close without rubbing. These are minor issues between the purchaser and the builder. Asking the COE to inspect and take responsibility for cosmetic issues is ridiculous.
Pre-negotiate your terms and conditions around hold-back to incentive repairs and deficiency correction if you really want to get bold.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 12:15 AM
DRINK

Lots of options available for custom built homes to give you exactly what you want. The vast majority of home buyers are price sensitive and as a result large mass builders have adapted to cater to that crowd. You hear people complain about all the major large builders...but yet....they continue to dominate the market.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 4:46 PM
Change is good

^vocal minority, silent majority.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 9:54 PM

It is my opinion that the building form of the sprawl is not the problem. It’s the layout of the commmunities. Build the same house condos and apartments but Center then around a central transit and retail are with good walking and pedestrian paths so you don’t need to drive to do something as simple as go to the bank.

The sprawl is pretty dense but the lack of mixed use building and the prevalence of seperating different uses with large wide hard to cross roads is a problem.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 4:39 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintzilla View Post
It is my opinion that the building form of the sprawl is not the problem. It’s the layout of the commmunities. Build the same house condos and apartments but Center then around a central transit and retail are with good walking and pedestrian paths so you don’t need to drive to do something as simple as go to the bank.

The sprawl is pretty dense but the lack of mixed use building and the prevalence of seperating different uses with large wide hard to cross roads is a problem.
Why would I want to walk to the bank? i'll stop in when I'm running errands and making stops and home depot, liquor store, grocery store...etc. The idea of having a handful of businesses within walking distance is completely useless. The only thing needed within walking distance is a little convenience store for the kid to ride a bike to in a few years when she old enough...and just about every area in the city already has that.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 6:26 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintzilla View Post
Outside of the fact that Ambleside isn't mixed use, this is pretty close to what you are talking about.

This image doesn't show the walking paths too well.

Yes I quite realize that there are still large parking lots and big box stores... it is right next to the henday after all, but the community is well connected to the retail. It's actually easier to walk here from the local community than it is to drive. Mixed use is hard to sell. Most people who want that type of amenity will choose to live in an actual urban setting like downtown or old scona. I also work in this area, my work site backs right on to a row of housing, and we've had our share of complaints of noise just from our normal operations (snow clearing parking lots before 7 am or after 10 pm for an example)... It's nice to have a bit of separation between residential and commercial, but just enough so can stil walk.

There's also a future transit terminal in the mix there too.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 10:22 PM

^I live in the area (for now) and agree with your assessment. It is fairly well done relative to the rest of developments in the city. My biggest wish would be the ability to cross the henday at terwillegar drive on my bike. Also even as a grown as man I hate that crossing at Windermere boulevard near the McDonald’s. Every time I’m on foot or bike I fear getting hit by right or left turning cars. It’s so damn wide! I kinda wish the bike paths went into the commercial areas as well. I dont like sidewalk biking and biking in massive parking lots always make me nervous.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 2:07 PM
Change is good

that intersection is bad, and not just for crossing on bike/foot, but driving through there too... almost been nailed a few times.

I wish there was a footbridge that went somewhere in between terwillegar/Rabbit hill road over the henday.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton