HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoftheBeginning View Post
For context, Waterfront Dr area in 1928 and 1945.

Thanks for posting! I love these old images. Are these from archives somewhere or your personal collection?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
I was under the impression that was going to be an elevator.
Is it going to open to the outdoors? It does not look nearly large enough to accommodate some sort of lobby.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 2:19 AM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Is it going to open to the outdoors? It does not look nearly large enough to accommodate some sort of lobby.
I took a picture shortly after my post you're responding to but I forgot to ever post it, here it is:

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 4:04 AM

If that is really going to be an elevator lobby, I'm shocked it was approved. Appears to be smaller than the new minimum size for accessible bathroom stalls. Jeez.

And like what was the point of making it freestanding and having people go outside again to get to their places, just stick it on the side of the building. Ridiculous. You'd think they would have learned from 62M how awful it is to have to go back outside to get to your place. Are these unit entrances also going to be outdoors like the spaceship?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 3:37 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
If that is really going to be an elevator lobby, I'm shocked it was approved. Appears to be smaller than the new minimum size for accessible bathroom stalls. Jeez.

And like what was the point of making it freestanding and having people go outside again to get to their places, just stick it on the side of the building. Ridiculous. You'd think they would have learned from 62M how awful it is to have to go back outside to get to your place. Are these unit entrances also going to be outdoors like the spaceship?
There's no interior hallways, each unit's doors are to the outside. The front and rear of each unit is an exterior wall with windows (and door on the west side).

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 4:06 PM

Costs are reduced by not having heated/cooled interior hallways.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 4:28 PM
What could go wrong?

Clearly the developer has gambled $30 million or so that it is a good and idea and will sell. I would think they have done their research.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Costs are reduced by not having heated/cooled interior hallways.
Seems like such a weird thing to scrimp on in a climate like ours. I mean, I enjoy staying at places with exposed hallways and ocean views in Miami, but in Winnipeg in January it's not quite as appealing.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Seems like such a weird thing to scrimp on in a climate like ours. I mean, I enjoy staying at places with exposed hallways and ocean views in Miami, but in Winnipeg in January it's not quite as appealing.
I guess it allows a budget conscious developer to splurge on other amenities that tenants would appreciate.

My garage is detached, i don't have a heated indoor walkway to get to my front door. I dont think it's really that big of an issue.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 5:35 PM
BANNED

I'm going to put together a guide for Winnipegger's on how to buy clothes - for each season - that will keep you warm and comfortable and still cost you less than a car does/putting pedways everywhere.

a few things are key - natural fabrics and layers
your hair can be fixed in your fancy bathroom at the office - toques are ok in winter!
spending a bit of money on good gloves goes a long ways - avoid plastic materials and invest in some of that good prairie leather!
normalize wearing long johns - mine go on in November and don't come off until March - unless I'm in bed
neck warmers are overlooked and super important! they block clod from entering the top of your jacket and can also double as a face mask. make sure you buy wool though!

it seems like some of you are very confused about living here.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 5:51 PM

^ I would not call an enclosed and heated hallway the same as a pedway connecting buildings over a street, but whatever

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 5:53 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Huge cost savings plus two-directional views and better layouts. It would have some appeal, I guess.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 6:01 PM
the first stamp is free

I am with Esquire on this one. It is a bit of a head scratcher to me as well.

While this design "feature" may save money for the construction/operating costs - it would need to weighted against comparatively lower rental costs IMO.

It sure isn't going to help sell/rent your place if you are showing people through when its cold/snowy/rainy. Plus it means you need a sort of "mudroom" space in your already small apartment.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 6:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I am with Esquire on this one. It is a bit of a head scratcher to me as well.

While this design "feature" may save money for the construction/operating costs - it would need to weighted against comparatively lower rental costs IMO.

It sure isn't going to help sell/rent your place if you are showing people through when its cold/snowy/rainy. Plus it means you need a sort of "mudroom" space in your already small apartment.
people who live in apartments know this, but the hallway isn't a personal mudroom and you can't just store your dirty goods out there.. you still need a space in your apartment for that.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 6:38 PM
Formerly rypinion

If you were showing people "through" a house you'd have to meet them at the front door, here isn't any different except you'd have to buzz them into the elevator, probably?

I don't see the big deal here, I live next door and in a way all the interior hallways are just huge wasted spaces that are heated/cooled and lighted all day (slight exaggeration). You don't get to leave anything out in the hallway.

I'd love big windows on both sides of my condo. I am a fan of this design.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
people who live in apartments know this, but the hallway isn't a personal mudroom and you can't just store your dirty goods out there.. you still need a space in your apartment for that.
Yeah it makes no real difference, on the other hand having windows on both sides of your place is huge.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 7:18 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
True - but in this sense it's actually a mudroom. You are coming straight in from outside with the snow etc. on your boots.

In a typical apartment, that isn't the case.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 7:21 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
Yeah it makes no real difference, on the other hand having windows on both sides of your place is huge.
The window on the back wall is great - except you would likely have it covered most of the time to give you some privacy from your neighbours walking past all the time to and from their units.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2020, 7:48 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Huge cost savings plus two-directional views and better layouts. It would have some appeal, I guess.
Yeah, the appeal of a cheap motel.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
The window on the back wall is great - except you would likely have it covered most of the time to give you some privacy from your neighbours walking past all the time to and from their units.
Ya I was thinking this too. the natural light would be great but I would likely put frosting over it if people are walking by at eye level.

I'm curious about the shovelling situation tho. I guess you just push it over the edge and hope it doesn't hit someone?

EDIT: I think there is some time of siding enclosing the western stairwells so it is protected from the weather? So it would be cold but dry? I can't find a good rendering of that side anywhere.

I hope I end up knowing someone who lives here so I can check it out. Those river views

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan