HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
apparently AAA consignment (the junk/antique market in the old ice cream place at osborne/gertrude) will be gone by the end of the summer if not earlier.

a big and poorly maintained building. hard to imagine what would go in there.
That building is kind of like the old Banana Boat, sort of an old, not that well maintained building that has outlived its lifespan. The site is big enough to accommodate something good - there is that lot next to it.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Ugh. I knew it was a restaurant but that is brutal.
Why? There really aren't that many fast food options available in the village right now, you can only eat so much pizza & Subway. I think this is great.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That building is kind of like the old Banana Boat, sort of an old, not that well maintained building that has outlived its lifespan. The site is big enough to accommodate something good - there is that lot next to it.
It's apparently owned by the same person/group who owns the surface lot and buildings to the south. A total of 27,000 s.f. is a lot of room to redevelop on.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 3:47 PM

Great news about the antique store building. That building is a major pile of wasted space.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 6:01 PM

Aaa

Quote:
apparently AAA consignment (the junk/antique market in the old ice cream place at osborne/gertrude) will be gone by the end of the summer if not earlier.

a big and poorly maintained building. hard to imagine what would go in there.
The so called Junk/antique market as u refer to it has quite often fabulous finds that you most likely have been unaware of. The owner has been telling me how not enough people appreciate quality name branded wares and I hear that a lot.
Being in the home fashions Biz all my life, it is shocking how people will pay tons more for garbage verses better made items.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
Why? There really aren't that many fast food options available in the village right now, you can only eat so much pizza & Subway. I think this is great.
Za Pizza
Subway
Tim Hortons (Safeway)
Starbucks
A&W
Burger King
Burrito Del Rio
Nuburger

Seems like lots of fast food to me. That’s not even counting some of the “quick service” spots.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 1:25 AM

The owners of Poutine King and some others are “saving” The Cavern. Reopening as The Underground. Based on its success of the space is still open in a few months they may take over the entire Toad space as well. Hopefully not as a Poutine King.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 1:37 AM

Poutine King is about to find out the hard way what it’s like being under one of the shittiest commercial landlords in the city. I wish him luck and admire his tenacity.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 6:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Poutine King is about to find out the hard way what it’s like being under one of the shittiest commercial landlords in the city. I wish him luck and admire his tenacity.
where does this guy's money come from? he's been open on osborne for well over a year and i never see anyone in there. i can't imagine that it's profitable... but now he's opening a venue in the old cavern?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 7:06 AM

Quote:
where does this guy's money come from? he's been open on osborne for well over a year and i never see anyone in there. i can't imagine that it's profitable... but now he's opening a venue in the old cavern?
Food trucks

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 3:43 PM
surely you agree with me

Don't you need a kitchen somewhere to get a food truck licence or something like that? I went to the PK thing on Osborne...the absolute worst. I can only imagine it is still there because it somehow supports the food truck business.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 10:37 PM

Can't remember if this has been posted. Came across it on the clerks website. Decent little apartment building at Stradbrook and Wellington.

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/perm...200219(RM)BA-3

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 11:01 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Can't remember if this has been posted. Came across it on the clerks website. Decent little apartment building at Stradbrook and Wellington.

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/perm...200219(RM)BA-3
Nice to see.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 11:25 PM

the red brick house on the corner just had its whole west side reconstructed. interesting to see this proposed for this particular spot.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 7:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Don't you need a kitchen somewhere to get a food truck licence or something like that? I went to the PK thing on Osborne...the absolute worst. I can only imagine it is still there because it somehow supports the food truck business.
I see "The Japo" is no longer on the menu, at least.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 5:05 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Za Pizza
Subway
Tim Hortons (Safeway)
Starbucks
A&W
Burger King
Burrito Del Rio
Nuburger

Seems like lots of fast food to me. That’s not even counting some of the “quick service” spots.
That burger king always got me sick, everytime i ate there. I'm surprised though - Winnipeg pioneered the first McDonalds in malls (Cityplace, Unicity), and it works well in Manhattan... yet, they can't place one right in Osborne Village? Or any other fast food chain? I know there's one right beside the transit garage, but its kind of out of the way, for Osborne Village, where a place and company like them would rake in millions. And maybe hire a shit-ton of evening security...

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 10:32 PM

I find it frustrating that the Burger King is open late, but only for cars -- sort of a fuck-you to the neighbourhood.

Are there any cities that require drive-thrus to also offer a walk-up window when their dining room is closed and their drive-thru is open?

E.g.:

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 11:25 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
I find it frustrating that the Burger King is open late, but only for cars -- sort of a fuck-you to the neighbourhood.

Are there any cities that require drive-thrus to also offer a walk-up window when their dining room is closed and their drive-thru is open?
Most likely they are concerned with security and the well-being of their employees.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Most likely they are concerned with security and the well-being of their employees.
That's why I think a walk-up window makes sense. No more or less secure than the drive-thru window they already operate.

Security or not, it rankles me that Burger King (and similar fast food places with car-only, drive-thru-only policies at night) basically exist to serve only those who *don't* live in the neighbourhood, and won't serve those who do.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 2:21 AM

I'm guessing McDonald's just refuses to open new locations in Winnipeg without drive thru's. That's gotta be the only reason there's a single location between downtown and OV.

With the fact that just about everyone can tap their credit/debit card or phone now, it'd be interesting to see if some fast food places take advantage of this for walk-ups. Don't have to even open the window til someone pays. Although it's funny a lot of 24 hr gas stations have walkup windows for the convenience stores.

Now that it's technically illegal to eat and drive in Manitoba, I think it's the perfect time for the city to put a moratorium on drive thrus.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan