HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I think cutting up the block and continuing Pierpont Avenue through it would be a better idea... Perhaps something like this:

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
I think cutting up the block and continuing Pierpont Avenue through it would be a better idea... Perhaps something like this:

I would prefer it for pedestrians only. I think we have too many roads downtown as it is.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
I would prefer it for pedestrians only. I think we have too many roads downtown as it is.
In my mind, the gray paths are a right-of-way proposal, so the road itself would be narrower to accommodate for sidewalks and tree planters etc. Many people get confused when trying to find an address on Pierpont Avenue because there are two sections divided by this block. This would make it less confusing

Last edited by Old&New; Feb 24, 2020 at 7:08 PM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 7:53 PM
Space Magi

I don't think this was posted here: 2002 Olympic cauldron to get a facelift

This was one of the big questions I had when they announced the stadium expansion. I'm glad the cauldron isn't going to end up like the Hoberman Arch. The article includes a rendering of their plan for the cauldron plaza:

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 8:03 PM
SLC Lifer

Euclid

The Crossing at 9th: https://www.buildingsaltlake.com/dev...-poplar-grove/

Glad to see some needed investment and density but very sad to see the old Bob Bauer photo studio go. Amazing 7 Up ghost sign and really cute arrow sign. Used to be a grocery and market. Soda bar is still intact but the building is hammered. The real loss is what was once one of the most important rose gardens in the state. I've heard some of the planting where hundreds of years old. Heirloom roses from Europe. Tacos El Rey was once considered a classic too but I hadn't been there for years. It says they are designing the corner to commercial spec but won't necessarily do commercial there unless it's feasible. I LOVE that corner. Love to see them put something cool there.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
This is very cool. Could you do one of these images of the skyline from where 400 S curves into 500 S on the way up to Rice-Eccles? (approximately 500 S 1100 E) I've always loved that view when driving down from the U into downtown.
This image was edited to show the correct height of the 95 State tower. It was shown 40' too high previously.

album upload

Last edited by Orlando; Feb 25, 2020 at 8:36 PM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 8:50 PM
Space Magi

^Excellent, thanks!

Kensington and 95 State have a massive impact on that view of downtown.

Last edited by Atlas; Feb 24, 2020 at 9:07 PM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 8:52 PM

That's a great angle. I was on the rooftop of the Trolley Square parking garage yesterday and it's similar...love that view.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 1:23 AM

Kensington, please please happen. It would be the best high rise built since 99 West, and we’d be losing an ugly ass Carl’s Jr. over a lovely Temple Square Hotel.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 12:24 PM

Speaking of the Temple Square Hotel, I wish that while they're making some excellent changes to Temple Square's site lines they'd demo the Plaza Hotel. I'd like to see them replace it with a handsome vintage-style similar to the demoed Temple Square Hotel.

I'm really enjoying these shots that are being posted lately. Can someone guide me through a way I can resize them so they will fit over on the Compilation Thread?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC PopPunk View Post
Liberty Sky's tower crane is going up!

https://imgur.com/H87oset

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 3:43 PM

Putting this here for now as I am not sure where the Census thread ended up...

This thread got me thinking: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=241939

The Downtown SLC area is broken into a few different census tracts, so what does everyone think the population will come out as for both the City and the Greater Downtown area?

SLC: 205,560
Greater Downtown: 17,350
For the CBD: 4,300

As a reminder, the April 2010 census had SLC as a whole at 186,440, the 2018 estimate was 200,591.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 2:16 AM

I've been thinking about the Pantages Theater and how to make it viable. My most recent thoughts have been to find (or make) a permanent tenant (like a talk-show) that could garner national attention and give SLC and Utah additional cache/cred that would justify the state investing in it's restoration. Also making the building more valuable to the new property owners. I could see someone like Scott Wolf, or one of a dozen other celebrities (who have homes here in Utah/call Utah home) playing the role of a talk-show host. I know a lot of people are interested in the preservation/restoration of the Pantages/Utah theater. I just want to keep the conversation alive, because you never know who it might inspire.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
I've been thinking about the Pantages Theater and how to make it viable. My most recent thoughts have been to find (or make) a permanent tenant (like a talk-show) that could garner national attention and give SLC and Utah additional cache/cred that would justify the state investing in it's restoration. Also making the building more valuable to the new property owners. I could see someone like Scott Wolf, or one of a dozen other celebrities (who have homes here in Utah/call Utah home) playing the role of a talk-show host. I know a lot of people are interested in the preservation/restoration of the Pantages/Utah theater. I just want to keep the conversation alive, because you never know who it might inspire.
I got respect for your dedication, but this is a done deal. I appreciate your creative thinking as you come up with many great ideas. With that said I think this idea is scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
I got respect for your dedication, but this is a done deal. I appreciate your creative thinking as you come up with many great ideas. With that said I think this idea is scrapping the bottom of the barrel.
Thank you, I guess? I must point out that you seem far less optimistic than your name would suggest...

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 4:39 AM

The only way I could see the theater being preserved is if it catches the eye of a millionaire philanthropist.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 4:46 AM

The Olive

Quote:
A block to the west of this is The Olive condos that was recently announced.
Dont know if anyone has been by the site recently but they've almost finished clearing the site of the former building. The whole corner of 300 S 400 W is empty.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 4:07 AM

Has anyone seen this project before?

http://ktgy.com/work/spark/

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Has anyone seen this project before?

http://ktgy.com/work/spark/
Yeah, there were three or four developers who put forward designs for this spot that the city owns--the old overnighter motel across from Rocky Mountain Power. I hope the development starts soon. Since the RDA owns the land, it will probably be another 10 years. Sigh.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinginformed View Post
Yeah, there were three or four developers who put forward designs for this spot that the city owns--the old overnighter motel across from Rocky Mountain Power. I hope the development starts soon. Since the RDA owns the land, it will probably be another 10 years. Sigh.
This is the 2nd project for Brinkshore. They are doing 255 South State and this along North Temple. Spark is supposed to start before the end of 2020.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2020, 5:30 AM

Now this would have been a similar but much better art installation for Regent Street:

https://architizer.com/projects/augmented-structures/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West