HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 10:09 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

This year's Athlete of the Year (for 2019)

2020 is already in the bag as well. The Newfoundland Growlers (hockey; I forget the name of the league, but it's as low as you can do and still have to travel internationally) beat their league's record home win streak.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 4:12 AM

New 3-on-3 hockey league '3ICE' set to begin play in 2021
Brandon Maron thescore.com Jan 13, 2020

Since the introduction of three-on-three overtime in 2015, hockey fans have loved the chaos that comes with it.

The desire to watch it non-stop may soon be fulfilled, as a new professional three-on-three league is set to hit the ice in June 2021.

The league, called 3ICE, was founded by E.J. Johnston - the son of former NHL goalie, coach, and executive Ed Johnston - alongside Hall of Famer Craig Patrick.

"Utilizing a full-sized rink, every game will consist of two, eight-minute halves using a running clock to keep the end to end action moving at an unprecedented pace," the league announced.

3ICE will consist of eight teams and travel to different cities during the summer. There will be a bracket-style tournament to determine a new champion at each stop. The plan is to get former NHL and professional hockey players to take part.

"Fans will have the chance to enjoy nine hockey filled weekends in nine different locations throughout the U.S. and Canada," Johnston said. "3ICE was created to bring the fans one thing ... pure, unadulterated excitement. Our players and coaches will be names and faces you know and love."

The league has signed television deals with CBS Sports, TSN, and RDS. Games will air exclusively in the United States on CBS Sports Network, while TSN and RDS will carry them in Canada.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 9:05 AM
The New Republic

Interesting! Thanks for posting. Maybe this will evolve the same way 3x3 basketball, a sport that's making its Olympics debut this summer.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 12:55 PM

Maybe this (for lack of a better term) "weekend warrior" sports will be part of the direction new pro sports are taking.

This looks similar to Rugby 7s (something that I have taken an interest in). You don't have to invest too much time and with all the various stops your team has several chances to win a title over the course of the season. I find this more suitable to my tastes in sports consumption and maybe it suits younger people's way as well.

Where I differ from what I am assuming is modern consumption is that I hate short clips and soundbites but when the whole game is basically a clip then everything is in context.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 1:53 PM

I think a dedicated 3-on-3 league could be interesting. The overtime is great in the NHL, but given that it's sudden death, teams have become much more conservative and winning the opening faceoff can result in over a minute of possession, cycling in and out of the offensive zone. I think a full game would open it back up for more odd man rushes, breakaways, big saves, etc. that made it so fun the first season.

Even at 8-minute halves though, that would be an exhausting game.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 6:54 PM

75th annual BC Boys Basketball Championships on now!
Steve Nash came through this tournament.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
...Back when F1 was actually good, I dreamed of having the GP alternate between Circuit Gilles Villeneuve and Mosport...
When F1 first came to Canada in 1967, the race alternated between Mosport and Circuit Mont-Tremblant for the first four years, then stayed at Mosport. The plan was to move it to Exhibition Place in Toronto starting with the 1977 race.

But the idea got stalled in local politics and it was at Mosport for one last time in 1977, before Toronto City Council finally rejected the proposal in December 1977, and the race went to Montreal for 1978.

Last edited by Sub-Human; Mar 4, 2020 at 4:15 AM.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2020, 4:05 AM

As much as I would have liked to have F1 in my own backyard, I really hate the track at the Ex. I can't watch Indy there. I've only been to Indy twice. Once because I got tix from my cousin and the other because my Colombian GF at the time wanted to see Montoya.

I hoisted her on my shoulders to watch him coming down the straight to the hairpin on the 1st lap and he crashed while in 2nd place. I also went the previous day and sneaked into the paddock to get his autograph. I waited there like a tool (ah what we do for pussy when we're young and awkward) for like an hour and I was literally the last one there and he looked at me while fooling around on a scooter and shrugged at me. Douche!

There are some nice street circuits around the world like Monte Carlo, Macau, Adelaide and some nice road/park tracks like Melbourne, Spa and Circuit GV. The Ex just does not appeal to me just like Vancouver's old race.

Mosport is a real track. It's on the other side of the GTA in the country, so much farther from me and most the population but it would be so much better than the Ex. Similar to Mosport, Mt. Tremblant is a nicer circuit that Montreal and a nice setting, but Montreal is a decent circuit nonetheless and a nicer setting in the city like Albert Park in Melbourne. Much better than the Exhibition grounds in TO.

Last edited by megadude; Mar 6, 2020 at 6:18 PM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 1:26 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Mosport is a real track. It's on the other side of the GTA in the country, so much farther from me and most the population but it would be so much better than the Ex. Similar to Mosport, Mt. Tremblant is a nicer circuit that Montreal and a nice setting, but Montreal is a decent circuit nonetheless and a nicer setting in the city like Albert Park in Melbourne. Much better than the Exhibition grounds in TO.
Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is widely considered to be one of the best circuits on the F1 calendar, up there with Spa, Interlagos, and Suzuka, both because the track is so close to the city but also because the track itself is fantastic.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 3:02 AM

I like all those circuits except Interlagos. Too many off camber turns. Not as bad as Buenos Aires or Aida but the elevation changes are cool.

The F1 circuits I liked racing on in video games were Melbourne, Imola, Monaco, Montreal, Spa and Suzuka.

For watching, in terms of action or setting, I'd include old Hockenheim and Monza.

A few years ago, before I had a dashcam, I held my camcorder and made an onboard video of me driving Circuit GV. Sped it up, added F1 engine sound (old sound of course, not the current golf cart sound), and added F1 and speedometer graphics. Only problem is that the cyclists on the left side of the track were going faster than me.

The only track I know of where you can do cheap lap days is Shannonville just outside Belleville, but those are always on a Monday a few days a year so I've never done it, especially being far from me.

Other tracks you can either rent or laps days are super expensive like Mosport and Cayuga and perhaps short ovals like Ohsweken, Flamboro, Sunset, etc.. Don't know about the rest of the country.

Last edited by megadude; Mar 6, 2020 at 6:17 PM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 4:04 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is widely considered to be one of the best circuits on the F1 calendar, up there with Spa, Interlagos, and Suzuka, both because the track is so close to the city but also because the track itself is fantastic.
It used to be in really bad shape but has gone from the worst to one of the best.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 5:59 PM

Quote:

A few years ago, before I had a dashcam, I held my camcorder and made an onboard video of me driving Circuit GV. Sped it up, added F1 engine sound (old sound of course, not the current golf cart sound), and added F1 and speedometer graphics. Only problem is that the cyclists on the left side of the track were going faster than me.

Last time I drove that course I was in a 1ton Ram and pulling a 40' boat trailer. made for some loud tire squeals through the turns.

Been to Mosport as well, found it a bit dated but loved the rolliness.

Adelaide in Australia was a nice course be fore they moved it to Melbourne. Have been to Albert park but not for the GP.

I hate most street courses. But some do look better than others.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 9:36 PM

World Rugby 7s this weekend at BC Place in Vancouver. Still to come London, Paris, Singapore, and Hong Kong.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2020, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
World Rugby 7s this weekend at BC Place in Vancouver. Still to come London, Paris, Singapore, and Hong Kong.
Heading for 40 000 tickets sold for Saturday!

70 000 total for the weekend sounds like.

Last edited by Denscity; Mar 7, 2020 at 1:38 AM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2020, 1:45 PM
The New Republic

In the 1800s rugby was the dominant 'football' code in Canada. That's not a shock considering we were not much more than an English colony back then. Rugby eventually got pushed aside by the homegrown Canadian sport of football; a position it's held ever since. It would be odd if things went full circle and rugby regained its position since we outgrew our colonial roots such a long time ago.

I have nothing against rugby but it's like we're culturally being re-colonized. First soccer and now this.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2020, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
World Rugby 7s this weekend at BC Place in Vancouver.
Canada (#10) off to a great start knocking off France (#4) and then Fiji (#3)

Some highlights:
Canada led France 26-0 at the half
Workmanlike effort in killing off a two minute penalty against Fiji at a crucial time
Crowd sings O Canada at the half of each game

Lowlights:
Canada giving up points near the final horn in both games as they did to their harm against Ireland, in Los Angeles, killing them from moving on.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2020, 2:19 PM

Canada through to the top eight demolishing Wales (#15). They were up 22-0 at the end of the first half. Crowd sang O Canada at the half again and many in the crowd were dressed in costume.

They go on to meet Spain (#14) in the quarter finals

Canada off to the semi finals vs Australia after dispatching Spain

Last edited by elly63; Mar 8, 2020 at 9:48 PM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 12:09 AM

Canada (#10) loses to Australia (#6) in the semi final literally by an inch, disappointing, but a thrilling game nonetheless.

Highlights:
Hirayama about to score a try has presence of mind enough to throw back to Harry Jones right in front of the posts to make the convert easier. That two points could have been crucial at the end.

Good sign from Canada was they had few turnovers and bad passes in the tournament. This is a disciplined team that won't beat themselves aside from some letups they had when they were in full control.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 1:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

The Carleton Ravens won the U Sport men's basketball championship last night in Ottawa, over Dalhousie. It was the Ravens' 9th championship in the past 10 years. And their record 15th title overall.

Attendance was 4100 at TD Place (Civic Centre) which seats around 10,000 and is the home of the OHL-CHL Ottawa 67's.

From what I gather the event was heavily promoted on social media (saw lots of ads on Facebook) but I dunno about traditional media coverage.

I haven't paid much attention to Ottawa anglo media recently, but from what I can see from searches they barely talked about it in the lead-up to the tournament.

Even today coverage is fairly light except for the odd "Oh yea, BTW Carleton won".

(Nothing really new about that level of coverage, though.)

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 1:32 PM

I did not hear a single thing about the game until I was at home in the evening with Sportscentre playing in the background. I didn't even realize that the final was yesterday.

Good job by Carleton though, that is some kind of dominance by the Ravens. 15 out of the last 18 championships... wow.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada