HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 5:43 AM

Cairo. It has taken a beating over the past decade due to the unrest and occasional violence. That began in the 1990's, especially after the Luxor massacre, but up until the events of 2011, Cairo was mostly seen as a sort of exotic and ancient Arab megacity with its own kind of charm. Continued population growth and social difficulties have made the area less and less pleasant, and it is now considered something of a 'hardship post' for international businesses and diplomats.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 7:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post
Plenty of amazing anime...

Amazon Prime- Vinland Saga. You won't be disappointed.
To keep this tied to to OP (loosely), I hesitantly watched the first episode of Castlevania on Netflix, because I loved 8 bit Nintendo’s Simon’s Quest so much as a kid. I got hooked and watched the whole series. It’s pretty good, not amazing, but still pretty good. It was only after I finished watching that I looked up the animation studio: Powerhouse Animation, out of Austin. Not a Japanese person in sight. It’s entirely American. That’s how influential the style of animation born and continually refined in Tokyo’s Kanda and Akiba neighborhoods has become.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 2:44 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
I think Hughes said once he thought most of America looked liked the North Shore and found out later in his life he was wrong, that it wasn't all huge mansions.
Kinda interesting.
As a teenager growing up in suburban Ontario at the time, the retail strip mall vernacular in some of Hughes' movies was extremely relatable for me.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Atlanta has in no way, shape or form "become" the center of hip hop "in the last 10-15 years". Atlanta "became", and has BEEN the center of hip hop since at least 2000.

The Atlanta hip hop and R&B scene took off in the mid-90's thanks to Outkast, Jermaine Dupri, Kriss Kross, Xscape, etc. From roughly 2000-2008, most of the biggest Hip Hop and R&B acts in Atlanta history (Ludacris, Jeezy, T.I., Outkast, Gucci Mane, Jagged Edge, Usher, etc.) peaked. So yeah, it's been the epicenter of hip hop and R&B culture for a while, not just the last 10-15 years. Aside from the Migos, Future and Young Thug, the ATL hip hop scene pales over the last decade when compared to the decade prior.

That said, ATL doesn't overshadow Miami by any stretch of the imagination (although you'll undoubtedly look for a way to reach and argue that it does.)
I do think the dramatic rise of the TV/film industry in Georgia has resulted in Atlanta stealing some of Miami's thunder in that regard, but otherwise the two cities occupy two different types of spheres.

Economically and in terms of tourism, Charlotte and Nashville have begun to flex their muscles and steal a bit of the spotlight from Atlanta within the larger region. Of course Atlanta is still on the radar but it doesn't take up as much space on it as it used to.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions