HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
Agree with you Re the NFL, but I disagree with you on MLB. Not the point about SA supporting and MLB team, but that we have to share with Austin. San Antonio can support major sports, and we don't need the Austin factor to be viable.

This is getting to seem defeatist. "We need Austin to agree to a regional airport"; "We need Austin for a major sports franchise"; We need Austin...ad nauseum".

As a couple of our posters point out, whom I probably don't agree with on much, we are not Austin. They don't want to blend South, and I don't want to blend North.

So, can we stop with the "regional" nonsense, and try to be a city of San Antonio, by San Antonio?
I think it's time for a reality check.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
Agree with you Re the NFL, but I disagree with you on MLB. Not the point about SA supporting and MLB team, but that we have to share with Austin. San Antonio can support major sports, and we don't need the Austin factor to be viable.

This is getting to seem defeatist. "We need Austin to agree to a regional airport"; "We need Austin for a major sports franchise"; We need Austin...ad nauseum".

As a couple of our posters point out, whom I probably don't agree with on much, we are not Austin. They don't want to blend South, and I don't want to blend North.

So, can we stop with the "regional" nonsense, and try to be a city of San Antonio, by San Antonio?
Yes let us focus on SA please. The perception that we are another DFW needs to die. SA and ATX are two independent thriving metros with growing population, GDP, etc. Look at Philly and NYC as examples. That's the direction I hope we can achieve someday.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 10:39 PM

I believe SA can have more than one pro sports team. Many people do and my friends outside of San Antonio wonder why we just have the Spurs. Unfortunately, SA has failed for decades in luring a major sports team to South Texas.

Las Vegas, the new home of our former WNBA team, has an NHL team now and the Raiders coming to town in 2020. It feels like we drop further down on the supposed "shortlist" for a franchise each year.

Austin is the fastest growing city in the US. They also have a bigger economy than San Antonio. I don't know exactly how badly this booming college town wants a major sports team. I hate being a pessimist, but I don't think we can do it on our own. And we certainly can't compete for one with ATX.

With the fallout from this deal with Toyota Field, our city's leaders cannot get it done. I hope I'm wrong but it seems we've exhausted all our options

Last edited by PDD; Dec 2, 2017 at 3:06 PM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I believe SA can have more than one pro sports team. Many people do and my friends outside of San Antonio wonder why we just have the Spurs. Unfortunately, SA has failed for decades in luring a major sports team to South Texas.

Las Vegas, the new home of our former WNBA team, has an NHL team now and the Raiders coming to town in 2020. It feels like we drop further down on the supposed "shortlist" for a franchise each year.

Austin is the fasting growing city in the US. They also have a bigger economy than San Antonio. I don't know exactly how badly this booming college town wants a major sports team. I hate being a pessimist, but I don't think we can do it on our own. And we certainly can't compete for one with ATX.

With the fallout from this deal with Toyota Field, our city's leaders cannot get it done. I hope I'm wrong but it seems we've exhausted all our options
You are not being a pessimist, you are being realistic. Austin is quickly becoming a great, vibrant city. I can't blame any pro sports league for taking a look at Austin and saying wow, this looks like a place that's on the up. Just imagine if they get the Amazon headquarters, which our leadership gave up on. I know I am probably in the minority on this, but I am embarrassed that Nelson Wolfe is trying to sue MLS. Bottom line is Austin has put itself in a position as a city that the MLS is looking to relocate there. San Antonio is begging for another pro sports team and nobody wants to come here and there are legitimate reasons why.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 2:36 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
You are not being a pessimist, you are being realistic. Austin is quickly becoming a great, vibrant city. I can't blame any pro sports league for taking a look at Austin and saying wow, this looks like a place that's on the up. Just imagine if they get the Amazon headquarters, which our leadership gave up on. I know I am probably in the minority on this, but I am embarrassed that Nelson Wolfe is trying to sue MLS. Bottom line is Austin has put itself in a position as a city that the MLS is looking to relocate there. San Antonio is begging for another pro sports team and nobody wants to come here and there are legitimate reasons why.
I feel like we need to "work on us" before we start trying to lure franchises here. Work on growing our economy, our transportation infrastructure, our schools. When we start from the ground up, we can look more enticing to sports teams.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 3:28 PM

Questions about MLS integrity

All "major" leagues have their issues but MLS has been getting a lot of bad press lately, probably only second to the NFL. There are many calling them a "Ponzi scheme" mostly interesting in extracting expansion related fees from cities desperate for a team in what they perceive is the "up and coming" American sport. If you read the many stories about the PR battles being waged for the next round of expansion teams, you'd think that winning an expansion franchise is more valuable than finding a gold mine under your house. Truth is American pro soccer is highly fragmented with three leagues all vying for attention. The MLS just turned down a multi-billion dollar TV deal because the deal, it is rumored, would have included the institution of a "Promotion and relegation" system that included both the USL (San Antonio FC's league) and NASL, which is similar to the way the European soccer leagues work. Also, the MLS is getting blamed, in part, for the poor performance of the US Mens National Soccer team which failed to qualify for the World Cup 2018 tournament.

Here are a couple of articles related to this:

https://deadspin.com/is-mls-a-ponzi-scheme-1797509617

https://mlsmultiplex.com/2017/07/26/...-look-like-us/

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSPaul View Post
All "major" leagues have their issues but MLS has been getting a lot of bad press lately, probably only second to the NFL. There are many calling them a "Ponzi scheme" mostly interesting in extracting expansion related fees from cities desperate for a team in what they perceive is the "up and coming" American sport. If you read the many stories about the PR battles being waged for the next round of expansion teams, you'd think that winning an expansion franchise is more valuable than finding a gold mine under your house. Truth is American pro soccer is highly fragmented with three leagues all vying for attention. The MLS just turned down a multi-billion dollar TV deal because the deal, it is rumored, would have included the institution of a "Promotion and relegation" system that included both the USL (San Antonio FC's league) and NASL, which is similar to the way the European soccer leagues work. Also, the MLS is getting blamed, in part, for the poor performance of the US Mens National Soccer team which failed to qualify for the World Cup 2018 tournament.

Here are a couple of articles related to this:

https://deadspin.com/is-mls-a-ponzi-scheme-1797509617

https://mlsmultiplex.com/2017/07/26/...-look-like-us/

BOO MLS!!!!!!!
Do we really want MLS here???

BOOOOOO!!!!!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 10:52 PM

USA not participating in the 2018 World Cup will only hurt the MLS and the popularity of soccer!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
BOO MLS!!!!!!!
Do we really want MLS here???

BOOOOOO!!!!!
The Mayor, Judge Wolfe and the Spurs think so.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
I feel like we need to "work on us" before we start trying to lure franchises here. Work on growing our economy, our transportation infrastructure, our schools. When we start from the ground up, we can look more enticing to sports teams.
Agree!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
I agree. We’re heading in the right direction. That’s what matters.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I agree. We’re heading in the right direction. That’s what matters.

I agree too! Lots happening in SA and people all over are taking notice!!

Plus our city has a sports team from the three big pro sports associations!

NBA = GO SPURS GO!!!!
NFL
MLB

And Congrats Houston Astros!! That feeling of accomplishment, winning and proud to be in a city has been felt here in SA many times!!!!

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 3:25 AM

As an RSL fan living in San Antonio, I would LOVE an MLS team in town. They would instantly become my 2nd favorite team.

Now that the Raiders are out of the picture, NFL isn't happening anytime soon, unfortunately. MLB would be amazing, and I think support would be great. That said, the idea of a split Austin/SA team in San Marcos is silly. MLB needs to be close to a population center. A team in downtown SA or downtown Austin makes sense. Preferably SA, but any team in the area would be awesome.

And in conclusion, Go Jazz Go!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 5:53 PM

MLS News

Soccer fans, MLS news today about expansion not good.

Maybe San Antonio can snatch away the Columbus team wanting to relocate to Austin!
San Antonio officials should consult with the owner of the Columbus team?

Oh, and GO SPURS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
Soccer fans, MLS news today about expansion not good.

Maybe San Antonio can snatch away the Columbus team wanting to relocate to Austin!
San Antonio officials should consult with the owner of the Columbus team?

Oh, and GO SPURS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
https://woai.iheart.com/content/2017...ff-cries-foul/

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 2:15 AM

MLS in San Antonio

WAIT, SOCCER FANS!!!

The Rivard Report and the San Antonio Business Journal is reporting that San Antonio is still in the running for an MLS team in the second phase of the MLS expansion. Hmmmmm
The Spurs asked for an application deferment until the second round. I wonder why?
What's cooking???

Can someone post these articles,please??

GO SPURS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 11:31 PM

Not downtown Austin (which I've heard the team that is potentially relocating wants), but could this be their new MLS space? Design is pretty cool.

https://austin.curbed.com/2017/12/5/...-stadium-rodeo

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie2008 View Post
Not downtown Austin (which I've heard the team that is potentially relocating wants), but could this be their new MLS space? Design is pretty cool.

https://austin.curbed.com/2017/12/5/...-stadium-rodeo
Will any tax dollars be used for this project? I'll believe it when I see it!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post

That looks real nice! Good luck Austin!

And who saw that BOSTON CELTICS VS SAN ANTONIO SPURS NBA GAME this past Friday????? MANUUUUUUU!!

GO SPURS GO!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
No tax dollars will be used to build the Crew's stadium. But that's a Travis Co. proposal, and Travis Co. was going to build an arena at that site regardless of MLS. I think they added the stadium just because of the potential Crew move. This is the Crew's down town proposal if the City goes along with it:

http://www.statesman.com/sports/socc...5ybPPdZB2CoiK/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio