HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 4:34 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Province to spend $43 million to widen Peigan Trail between Barlow Trail and Stoney T

Glad to see this one announced - been waiting on this for years.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 6:22 PM

I wish these fucks would build our 40th ave overpass here in Airdrie. Even before this spending announcement the city had put up 50% of the cost to try and get it to go ahead. We also need a grade separation for the yankee valley rail crossing. Before that happens we need the 40th ave access though to reduce the stress that is already there and will be so much worse with reduced lanes.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
I wish these fucks would build our 40th ave overpass here in Airdrie. Even before this spending announcement the city had put up 50% of the cost to try and get it to go ahead. We also need a grade separation for the yankee valley rail crossing. Before that happens we need the 40th ave access though to reduce the stress that is already there and will be so much worse with reduced lanes.
Oh I know! YVB is really horrible between 8th street and East Lake Blvd (which is almost the entire length of it) is so bad, especially during peak times! I tend to avoid it by travelling to Edmonton Trail or down 8th to Balzac to access the QE2!

Last edited by YYCguys; Sep 19, 2020 at 10:29 PM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
Oh I know! YVB is really horrible between 8th street and East Lake Blvd (which is almost the entire length of it) is so bad, especially during peak times! I tend to avoid it by travelling to Edmonton Trail or down 8th to Balzac to access the QE2!
I’m east of QE2 and generally avoid the worst of it at the bad times. Very rare I cross the tracks anymore which is nice lol.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 3:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Oops I meant 45th avenue. Didn’t even notice my mistake till now! But I’m glad you knew what I meant! 👍
I obviously perpetuated the error, but knew exactly what you meant.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 3:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Yeah - that project is obviously in the wrong place (just like this post).

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburb View Post
Post is perfectly fine here and many Calgarians are very familiar with what's going on in places such as Airdrie.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Airdrie shouldn’t have planned to expand where the traffic demand was likely to put the interchange into failure mode, or they should have made the project contingent on developers directly footing the bill.

Airdrie is running out of water and could have planned developments in a different pattern to reach their limit without necessitating more large infrastructure investments.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburb View Post
Unless I’m mistaken, there there isn’t a “Calgary area communities” thread so this is the closest related thread.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Unless I’m mistaken, there there isn’t a “Calgary area communities” thread so this is the closest related thread.
One isn't needed either. It's not like the Calgary threads are so busy that we can't handle posts about Airdrie, etc. I actually like knowing what's going on in the places around Calgary as we can often learn from them.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 3:40 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
One isn't needed either. It's not like the Calgary threads are so busy that we can't handle posts about Airdrie, etc. I actually like knowing what's going on in the places around Calgary as we can often learn from them.
I’ll second this - no need for separate “Calgary area” threads - I want to know what is happening in these places.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 12:35 PM
Moran supreme

Airdrome traffic is also greatly impacting the highway 566/Range Road 11 intersection - I believe plans are for a roundabout there in the near future. Of course, heavy congestion there pushes some to use Balzac Boulevard.

Personally, I just let Google Maps route me out of Airdrie when I'm working up there - it seems to do a decent enough job and even offers up interesting routes at times like under Stoney Trail on a gravel road along side Nose Hill Creek.

And what of SE Airdrie with all of the residential construction there, how long until YVB starts to get bogged down from all of that additional traffic?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Airdrome traffic is also greatly impacting the highway 566/Range Road 11 intersection - I believe plans are for a roundabout there in the near future. Of course, heavy congestion there pushes some to use Balzac Boulevard.

Personally, I just let Google Maps route me out of Airdrie when I'm working up there - it seems to do a decent enough job and even offers up interesting routes at times like under Stoney Trail on a gravel road along side Nose Hill Creek.

And what of SE Airdrie with all of the residential construction there, how long until YVB starts to get bogged down from all of that additional traffic?
The intersection at RR11/566 is a mess! Things flowed somewhat well before they put in the 4 way stop, but there were accidents so they had to do something about it. Well accidents have virtually disappeared but the line ups are insane! The roundabout is badly needed! And additional lanes on both roadways. But that’s wishful thinking!

YVB is already bogged down. I won’t travel east/west during peak times if I can help it, nor will I visit shops in the Sierra Springs area during those times. Traffic is so bad! They say a grade separated road over/under the CPR tracks will help, but I also think something needs to be done with the intersections at Main and also at the QE2 and Kingsview Market/McDonald’s. What I don’t know!

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 10:56 PM

50, 40 or 30?

"50, 40 or 30? Calgary city hall set to decide on residential speed limits" https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/50-40-or-...mits-1.5122430

Read the conflicting views of various councillors in the article. My view - why do we want to turn nearly the whole city into one giant playground zone? (Except this would apply all hours of the day or night).

And "more traffic calming measures" . . .

The city is going nuts (how about proper signage at James McKevitt/Stoney Trail if safety is so important - see my earlier post)

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus View Post
"50, 40 or 30? Calgary city hall set to decide on residential speed limits" https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/50-40-or-...mits-1.5122430

Read the conflicting views of various councillors in the article. My view - why do we want to turn nearly the whole city into one giant playground zone? (Except this would apply all hours of the day or night).

The city is going nuts (how about proper signage at James McKevitt/Stoney Trail if safety is so important - see my earlier post)
The children! What's with all the damn new kids anyway. Make us all drive like bitches because they can't keep their damn balls off the street.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davee930 View Post
The children! What's with all the damn new kids anyway. Make us all drive like bitches because they can't keep their damn balls off the street.
Agreed - they shouldn't be playing with balls on Elbow Drive at midnight!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Agreed - they shouldn't be playing with balls on Elbow Drive at midnight!
Yeah and car technology is getting way better. Yet we still go the other way.

Pussies in charge

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 10:43 PM

The scariest spot in any residential neighbourhood? Near almost any school (especially elementary school) in the rush to drop off or pick up students (maybe lasts half an hour at most). People converge on the location, drop off/pick up junior, then try to get out of there. It's borderline chaos and in a 30 km/h zone, I'm surprised there aren't more incidents during those times.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 4:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmuzika View Post
The scariest spot in any residential neighbourhood? Near almost any school (especially elementary school) in the rush to drop off or pick up students (maybe lasts half an hour at most). People converge on the location, drop off/pick up junior, then try to get out of there. It's borderline chaos and in a 30 km/h zone, I'm surprised there aren't more incidents during those times.
Can't disagree on this whatsoever!

There also seems to be more people not walking to school. Even the very young kids can be walked with parents, but parents are too lazy. +10 degrees and it is too cold. Ridiculous.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 4:57 PM
Near Generational

Quote:

The proposed changes are here.

They have it broken down ward by ward. For the streets that are actually changing I really struggle with people driving on streets of that type at 50 kph.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure