HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 1:27 PM

Cleveland has none of them, sadly.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 2:35 PM

Not a major city but an interesting case of a small town that is not near a major city having an office from one of the tech giants is the Google office in White River Junction, VT. https://careers.google.com/locations...iver-junction/

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Tech is also less stressful than a banking job. There's also the issue of the masses not wanting to string you up by your toes after times get tough.
Banking isn't unusually stressful after the analyst years. It's a cakewalk compared to, say, Biglaw, and much, much better pay.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 4:01 PM

PITTSBURGH

Facebook
Schenley Place on University of Pittsburgh campus

Collaborative Innovation Center on Carnegie Mellon campus

D15trict Fifteen in Strip District

Amazon
SouthSide Works on Southside

Apple
3Crossings in Strip District

PAA Building on University of Pittsburgh campus (planned)

Microsoft
Liberty Center downtown

Google
Bakery Square in Larimer-East Liberty

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Sitting on your ass all day doing data entry to develop better algorithms to push consumer product advertising is very far from a prestigious position, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm just always kinda surprised that people seem to be impressed if someone works there, or as is usually the case, someone who works there is impressed with himself. I think it's just the perception people outside have that they must be solving some really important issue, when more than likely, they spend weeks at a time working on a tiny little portion of a project to get more ads for boner pills to the right dudes.

I totally get the big name, resume-builder aspect... just not what I was referring to.

Generally (based on my experience working in a professional scientific/technical capacity for 20+ years), people who are ACTUAL engineers... like mechanical/civil/electric/chemical engineers... who work in those fields, and their related offshoots, are pretty interesting and creative people.

People who got an engineering degree because it looks good for job prospects, but never actually become an engineer, and go to work in tech, finance, etc. are some of the most boring, vapid, and often insufferable, sorts to be around.

advertising is the base of what google does, but i would say the vast majority of software engineers/developers who work for them work in other areas. they have so many other products... google docs, google suite, gmail, maps, their cloud platform+APIs, go/golang, android, chromecast/google home, chrome/chromium browser, chrome OS, nest products (thermostat/cameras/security) plus the search engine itself, beyond advertising.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 4:34 PM
你的媽媽

San Francisco

Facebook

Apple

Amazon

Google

Microsoft

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
advertising is the base of what google does, but i would say the vast majority of software engineers/developers who work for them work in other areas. they have so many other products... google docs, google suite, gmail, maps, their cloud platform+APIs, go/golang, android, chromecast/google home, chrome/chromium browser, chrome OS, nest products (thermostat/cameras/security) plus the search engine itself, beyond advertising.
... which are all platforms that function to accumulate user data which they use for advertising.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
... which are all platforms that function to accumulate user data which they use for advertising.

that's definitely an overgeneralization. it's possible to use many of these without interacting with google's advertising platform at all. the base of android is just a very customized linux (open source) OS. chrome itself is just another browser - you have to interact with google's websites (or those which contain google advertising) to provide any of that kind of data to google. go is just a programming language. many of their cloud APIs for things like machine learning or analytics are paid products which have nothing to do at all with advertising - the case is the same for companies that use gsuite (like my own) - i don't see any advertising in the products we use at work.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman109 View Post
That’s impressive for Austin. I just think having these companies in your metro is a really good thing. High paying jobs. Growth companies. Offshoot companies can be generated out of it. Talent breeds talent etc.
Apple's largest presence outside of HQ is in Austin FWIW.

Microsoft and Amazon have significant offices here as well.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 8:25 PM

Quote:
that's definitely an overgeneralization. it's possible to use many of these without interacting with google's advertising platform at all. the base of android is just a very customized linux (open source) OS. chrome itself is just another browser - you have to interact with google's websites (or those which contain google advertising) to provide any of that kind of data to google. go is just a programming language. many of their cloud APIs for things like machine learning or analytics are paid products which have nothing to do at all with advertising - the case is the same for companies that use gsuite (like my own) - i don't see any advertising in the products we use at work.
It's not about "interacting with google's advertising platform". As I said above, their lines of business function as tools to accumulate user data, which Google uses to better understand user behavior and preferences, which is used to continually expand, refine, and target advertising.

Advertising is the majority revenue driver for Google/Alphabet. Between 2001 and 2019 between 75% and 99% of their revenues came from advertising. That's what butters their bread. At the core of it, that's what they are ultimately doing -- advertising, directly and indirectly. This isn't my opinion. That's the course charted by the early VCs when ads were linked to search and then when Eric Schmidt kicked it into high gear when he started to lead the company 20 years ago.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 10:24 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Chrome almost certainly follows you. Use Firefox if you don't want Google's spyware.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 2:02 AM
The Believer

Detroit has
Amazon (they've recently been hiring more in Detroit)
Microsoft (and LinkedIn which is owned by Microsoft)
Google (and Waymo which is a Google/Alphabet company)

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 3:02 AM

Thanks for posting all of the Pittsburgh offices! I wanted to in my post but didn’t know how. The proposed Apple office is going to be awesome. Great location and beautiful building. My hope is Facebook grows like a weed here and takes over the proposed vision on 15th project next to their district 15 office. That would be a great two building campus.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 3:19 AM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by authentiCLE View Post
Technically, Cincinnati doesn't either even though CVG is apparently one of Amazon's freight hubs.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Chrome almost certainly follows you. Use Firefox if you don't want Google's spyware.

oh yeah totally with you there - firefox is my main browser for sure, especially since they put out that update to their JS engine which is better than chrome's now. i do use chromium based browsers in non-windows environments though (chromium on linux or brave on android)

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 2:30 PM

i just realized that none of my replies really pertain to the main topic of this thread. so here's atlanta's:

facebook - taking the top floor of a new building in west midtown: T3 (sales and some engineering)

amazon - terminus in buckhead, engineering (visual search + AWS)

apple - i don't think they really have a major presence outside of stores. i did find a bloomberg article suggesting there is an office here but not sure what/where.

microsoft - tech center in alpharetta, but who cares about alpharetta

google - currently a sales office in millenium midtown, but anchoring a new office tower under construction as a new southeast headquarters. 1105 west peachtree

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 3:25 PM

Toronto, as the default location for a Canadian head office, has an office for each of them. The tech companies are following the trend towards central urban consolidation. Microsoft ditched their long-standing suburban office to move into the new CIBC Square tower, and all the other "FAAMG" companies are in close proximity.

I think the more interesting one is Vancouver, which has recently seen several large commitments from Amazon and Apple. I think once Apple moves in they will have a real presence from every company as well. It's been mentioned here before that companies may be valuing the more favourable immigration policies while still being on the West Coast in a desirable city/location.

Apple Office

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/07/22/a...ice-vancouver/

Amazon's new office under construction:

The planned redvelopment of the Post Building:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/cana...tion-june-2019

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citylover94 View Post
Not a major city but an interesting case of a small town that is not near a major city having an office from one of the tech giants is the Google office in White River Junction, VT. https://careers.google.com/locations...iver-junction/
That’s pretty cool. I was hoping this thread would find some gems like this. They must have really wanted someone who just wanted to live there so built an office around them or they acquired some tech from there. Either way cool.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 11:38 PM

Portland has offices for Google, Microsoft, Amazon, and Apple. I don't think Facebook has any operations here.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by authentiCLE View Post
Cleveland has a Microsoft sales office, and probably a sales office for some of the others too. Most cities will have some type of sales office.

Last edited by iheartthed; Mar 26, 2020 at 4:12 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions