HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
I'm not sure what your point is? That most people prefer the car-oriented lifestyle, so much so that they try to shoehorn them into places that were never built to accommodate them? That was my point exactly.
There aren't many private vehicles in transit-rich locales. The streets are congested with vehicles, yes, but overwhelmingly delivery trucks, taxis and for-hire/chauffeur vehicles. I doubt even 10% of vehicles in core NYC neighborhoods are privately owned/driven. This is the market essentially saying "it's really stupid to drive your personal car here".

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
There aren't many private vehicles in transit-rich locales. The streets are congested with vehicles, yes, but overwhelmingly delivery trucks, taxis and for-hire/chauffeur vehicles. I doubt even 10% of vehicles in core NYC neighborhoods are privately owned/driven. This is the market essentially saying "it's really stupid to drive your personal car here".
That says nothing of actual preferences though, only hard realities.
The fact that the wealthiest Manhattanites ride in chauffeured vehicles should tell you something.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 4:26 PM

Quote:
The fact that the wealthiest Manhattanites ride in chauffeured vehicles should tell you something.
The wealthiest Manhattanites also use the subway. And poor Manhattanites use Uber.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 4:27 PM

Quote:
It tells you if you can afford it, there's no substitute for for-hire door-to-door mobility (which is quite something different than promoting/preferring autocentricity).

But those same people walk or take transit depending on the route.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 4:33 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I guarantee you there is open parking on random streets in NYC Boston and Chicago too lol whats your point. You intially stated it would be rare to see cars parked on the streets of LA, Phoenix and Dallas, and that's absolutely untrue and completely ridiculous

Street parking just means residential, even most suburban neighborhoods have cars parked up and down the street.
A lot of the side streets in aforementioned cities have permit parking for local residents so chances are you can't just up and park anywhere like LA, Phoenix or Dallas. I got lucky one time in NYC and found a great parking spot in Lower Manhattan...at 10PM on a weekday.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
A lot of the side streets in aforementioned cities have permit parking for local residents so chances are you can't just up and park anywhere like LA, Phoenix or Dallas. I got lucky one time in NYC and found a great parking spot in Lower Manhattan...at 10PM on a weekday.
There is permit parking in those cities too there is also open parking, Chicago has tons of open street parking no permit needed at all.

New York is likely the most difficult but it isn't impossible to find a meter or a 2-3hr limit spot. Thats the same in most cities, the only difference is density

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 4:39 PM

Quote:
You can't just park anywhere in LA either. Plenty of neighborhoods have permit parking for residents too. People do circle to find street parking in LA, but oftentimes it's to look for parking close to where they want to go to. Me, I'm willing to walk 4+ blocks or more; I don't mind parking far to get to that one restaurant or whatever.

Conversely, I found Chicago very easy to get around by car. I even parked downtown; I paid to park in a parking structure.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 4:43 PM

Quote:
The only places I've seen permit parking in NYC are single family neighborhoods in outer Queens. I don't think there is any resident only permit parking anywhere in Manhattan.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 4:56 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
My wife is a terrible driver. It's a good thing we don't have a car .

The rest of her family lives in car-dependent places. They literally get into multiple accidents a year...
How can they possibly still be allowed to drive if they "literally get into multiple accidents a year"?

Your insurance costs would go through the roof, and at one point they won't even want to insure you no matter what you are willing to pay.

Even if you're not responsible for the collision and they're not really supposed to ding you, they usually find a way to make you pay. Or if there are too many, to simply cancel your insurance policy and leave you uncovered.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
"you won't see cars jam packed in every space in phoenix"
"yes you will *posts picture of open parking spaces*"

My criteria is that "jam packed with cars in every space" means exactly that--no open spaces for several blocks--which is common in some cities. I've had to circle for 30+ minutes in Chicago, and parking is way easier here than New York (where my aunt refuses to move her car but for trips that absolutely demand it)
To be fair, I just read an article(albeit very outdated) that said it takes about 8 minutes to find a spot in Chicago.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 7:37 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
There is permit parking in those cities too there is also open parking, Chicago has tons of open street parking no permit needed at all.

New York is likely the most difficult but it isn't impossible to find a meter or a 2-3hr limit spot. Thats the same in most cities, the only difference is density
Chicago may have open parking in a few areas but good luck finding a spot that isn't in some far flung sleepy neighborhood. It's bad enough here in Houston but we have more parking infrastructure here; garages, surface lots, strip centers with ample parking, etc.

Plus most of our street parking doesn't have a time limit.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Not true, there are many areas of LA where you can’t park in residential neighborhoods without a permit because street parking is so scarce.

I have one sister who lives in the city of LA, and I know when she visit my mom she always try to get home before sundown because street parking will be nonexistent.

I had to do the same thing when I lived on the north side of Chicago. I was parked by sundown or I could forget about finding a parking spot spot nearby.

I have another sister who lives in a suburban city just outside of LA. Street parking where she lives is also scarce. When I visit her family I have to call ahead of time to let me know if there is any where to park. This is also a neighborhood where all the houses are single-family homes.

It’s not always easy to find street parking in LA. Another example is when my wife and I was dating, her neighborhood had really bad parking problem too. Many times when I come by I had to double park and she would just come outside and we leave. Very few times did I go inside, and never got a chance to walk her to the door, I just pull up to her building and let her out.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
To be fair, I just read an article(albeit very outdated) that said it takes about 8 minutes to find a spot in Chicago.
My experience when I lived in Chicago, North side parking near lake front neighborhoods bad after sun down. West of Broadway in my neighborhood one can usually find parking with no problem.

South side parking was not much of a problem. Also I always drove downtown Chicago when I worked overtime on a Saturday and I always found parking on the street. At that time I worked on Clark Street and Wacker Drive and I park a few blocks away. Of course I went to work at 8am so I’m pretty sure that made a huge difference. Although I drove my car into the Loop a few times on a hot summer Saturday night and found street parking. I had to drive around for about 10 minutes or so.

Last edited by ChrisLA; Mar 11, 2020 at 8:23 PM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 7:48 PM
Dryer lint inspector

^ Yes, I stand corrected about LA...from my own experiences there even. Wife and I had a terrible experience with parking last year; could not find a parking spot anywhere and circled around for 15-20 minutes until we gave up and went somewhere else.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Chicago may have open parking in a few areas but good luck finding a spot that isn't in some far flung sleepy neighborhood. It's bad enough here in Houston but we have more parking infrastructure here; garages, surface lots, strip centers with ample parking, etc.

Plus most of our street parking doesn't have a time limit.
If you consider walking distance to wriggly far flung and sleepy sure

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 8:18 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
In LA you certainly cannot park just anywhere. Most all neighborhoods in the basin are permit parking only.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Hmm interesting, here is a study done in 2017:

Quote:
here are the 10 most painful cities to park in...according to Kirkland, Wash.-based transportation analytics firm Inrix
10. Detroit, $9, 35 hours

9. Dallas, $6, 48 hours

8. Atlanta, $6, 50 hours

7. Boston, $26, 53 hours

6. Chicago, $22, 56 hours

5. Seattle, $10, 58 hours

4. Washington, D.C., $18, 65 hours

3. San Francisco, $12, 83 hours

2. Los Angeles, $14, 85 hours

1. New York, $33, 107 hours

https://www.cars.com/articles/parkin...1420697595754/

Old Posted Mar 12, 2020, 7:23 PM

Quote:
If you consider walking distance to wriggly far flung and sleepy sure
yup, Wrigley=Houston

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 5:49 AM
BANNED

Probably tech hubs like Austin Seattle Denver, etc.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Lol no you wouldn't cars are parked wherever they are allowed to park.

Apparently you've never been to those places.

https://goo.gl/maps/fmN8BaWqJrWanTvJ6

https://goo.gl/maps/Pk8XxugGASWqbT6LA

https://goo.gl/maps/aoFTZnh3VfEznQGS6

I think some of you base your understanding of cities off of some sort of fantasy.
Atlanta examples:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7556...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7550...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7554...7i13312!8i6656

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions