HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
We've already spent about half of what we will get throwing $100 or $150 into a dozen or so of the gofundmes in our little neighborhood commercial node of bars and restaurants. We are both home all day so prior to this lockdown we'd go out to eat 5 or 6 nights a week.
We need to start doing that. We're still getting carryout/delivery but our food costs have plummeted and we should put it back in the community. Actually, our overall expenses have dropped considerably.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 1:11 AM

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 1:20 AM
Registered Ugly

Because most people will immediately spend it and soften the impact of the impending recession. Do I need to spell this out for you?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 1:27 AM

Is Philly testing? The only places that don't have this growing exponentially are the places that aren't testing and testing is the only way to slow this virus down.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Is Philly testing? The only places that don't have this growing exponentially are the places that aren't testing and testing is the only way to slow this virus down.
There are 637 confirmed cases in Philadelphia, with 2 deaths. That map on last page was just taking into account NY/NJ area stats.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 1:37 AM

That doesn't really answer the question.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 1:41 AM

Quote:
That doesn't really answer the question.
Yes, Philly is testing, the city is in a shelter in place. The number of confirmed cases was like 2 last week, it's shot up exponentially. There is a drive up tent/testing center in the parking lot outside Citizens Bank Park. Philly is all hands on deck.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 1:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
We've already spent about half of what we will get throwing $100 or $150 into a dozen or so of the gofundmes in our little neighborhood commercial node of bars and restaurants. We are both home all day so prior to this lockdown we'd go out to eat 5 or 6 nights a week.
I would encourage any fourumers here that would stand to benefit from a go fund me to start one on FB. I would be more than willing to give a few hundred here and there for those that really need it.

No shame in doing so. Those that worked most of their lives paid into the unemployment fund through payroll taxes year after year BTW. There is no shame in asking for charity.

Even if still working some might need a bit of a lift and I have no problem doing so.

I'm FB friends with more than a dozen here. You can keep it off this site and keep it confidential for your own privacy.

Just know there are people that have your backs.

We are kind of a interesting family in a way.

Many of us have been on here for over 10 years and many have met each other.

There is nothing not to be so proud as to not ask for assistance, no strings attached.

I'd rather give to someone I know than into a blind charity, at least I would know my contribution would really go to the proper location and not some CEO somewhere.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 4:58 AM
Fourth and Main

We've had an unusual number of short power outages in the northeast Atlanta suburbs over the past few days. The power was out at least four times in the past 24 hours. Usually for just a few seconds. I have Georgia Power. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 7:28 AM

Interesting discussion:

Quote:
New York state has 10 times the COVID-19 cases California has. Why?

https://www.sfchronicle.com/health/a...y-15154692.php

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
They’ll pause their student loans for 6 months, pay debt with that, and use the $2400-3400 to buy shit they don’t need and go out to eat or take vacations that Instagram and Denmark tell them they deserve. Do you even live in this country, because it sounds like we’re in different Americas.
The restaurant and hotel industries and their millions of employees pray that you are correct.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 7:42 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Interesting discussion:
I think its just due to the sheer density and day time population in Manhattan that contributed to a lot of this between NJ commuters and the other 4 boroughs. Possibly the subway was a big catalyst given the confined space and ability for the virus to stick to surfaces for 4 hours to 3 days depending on what it is.

Unsure if maybe there is a correlation between two cities which there is a big gap between one that is more auto-centric, and one that relies more on trains/subways.

I think the subway played a crucial role (in all boroughs). Also, the weather in the last two weeks has been chilly, but dry. Possibly increasing the time that particulates are suspended in air (aerosols). Peak density IMO played a crucial role.

NY is also doing the most testing, but we are also a city with higher peak density which people-to-people proximity is quite common.

Day time population of Manhattan in 2020 is close to 4.5 million in 23 sq-miles, so it was only a matter of time before the cases ramp up. Factored in with the community spread prior to the lock-downs, and yeah... disaster in the making.

Bay Area is doing pretty well.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 8:04 AM

Went to the supermarket this evening. Tried to get there just before 8 PM (they are closing now at 9 PM). Everybody else in this town is in bed by 9. As hoped, very few people in the store but very little left on the shelves. I am lucky since in addition to having an eccentric bed time, I have an eccentric diet for this town of midwestern transplants. Found almost everything I wanted except the cleaning supplies (surface wipes etc). But there were vast empty areas on the shelves in all isles.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
So today I decided to microwave my newspaper.

https://regenexx.com/blog/coronaviru...l-coronavirus/

I gave it 15 seconds on a side--afraid to go much longer because it might catch on fire.
I've been microw'ing my papers for the last couple of weeks. The first time I blasted it for over a minute & it started to smoke and parts turned brown. Now I give it about 2o second on a side, turn it over & give it another 20. It is quite hot and crispy but not blackenned. How suspicious should we be about produce and boxed products in the markets? I try to wipe them down with lysol or a bit of bleach, and I wash my hands like Howard Hughes. I only go out when I really have to get things. I usually wear a mask, although not a good N95 one (unavailable). The N95s have vanished. I usually wear surgical gloves. Going to take a while for things to approach normalcy, but social interactions will never be quite the same. I look at strangers and maybe even friends and coworkers as if they were potential bags of covids. I think I will become a hermit and live in the middle of nowhere.

Pedestrian, ypu are a doctor. I am reading good things about Gilead's drug remdesivir, which has apparently helped some patients in the newspaper articles I've read. Waiting on the research articles. Chloroquin doesn't seem to work according to one article I read, but it is too early to say for sure. Also, some are pushing megadoses of Vit C, and it is even given in I.V.s to patients with covid as an experimental treatment in a few hospitals. Some anecdotal reports say it helps. The vaccine is probably a year off, although the Moderna one is in trials. Probably the beast will keep mutating like cold & flu viruses, so they'll probably have to create a new version every year if it comes back seasonally. Other companies are trying to gather antibodies from recovered patients and maybe mass produce them. Any thoughts? I have a few shares of Gilead and a few other companies.

Last edited by CaliNative; Mar 28, 2020 at 11:16 AM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
New York bans nonessential construction amid coronavirus pandemic

https://ny.curbed.com/2020/3/27/2119...cuomo-covid-19

How the hell did it take them this long to finally ban non-essential construction? Most other states did this almost a week ago. Yeah let's keep construction of these empty billionaire piggy bank towers going! It's not like NYC is the epicenter of the crisis or anything.
Yes, because every one of the hundreds or thousands of construction sites in NYC are exclusively for billionaires.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 12:25 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Went out for an evening walk yesterday and it was a bit eerie.

After a while I noticed I hadn't met a single person or moving vehicle so I started paying attention to the time.

I walked 47 minutes before I saw my first moving vehicle. I only saw a few other cars during my entire walk that lasted 1 hour and 15 minutes.

And did not see another live person outside until about 5 minutes before I got home - someone getting out of a car and walking to their house.

Of course I don't live in Midtown Manhattan but my suburban neighbourhood has about 5,000 people. About half of the housing is single family on 10-15 metre wide lots (30-50 feet), plus we have lots of semi-detached (side-by-side) houses, townhomes, and small 3-storey apartment and condo buildings.

This was by far the deadest evening since I've started walking every day a couple of weeks ago.

In typical non-COVID-19 times, even in the depths of winter, you'd easily meet a dozen or even 20 people on an hour walk on any given late evening.

And lots of cars of course.

Even the neighbourhood convenience store last night had zero cars outside and zero customers inside. This is also something you never see.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 12:36 PM

Bolsonaro stroke back on Tuesday evening and mood started to change. On Friday there were sizeable car parades all across the country demanding the opening of all services and retail, that were closed since the beginning of the week ordered by state governors and mayors everywhere.

He knows an economic downturn will come and he wants to blame governor’s measures and not the world epidemic.

Meanwhile there are already 3,400 cases in the country (with a very restrictive testing policy) and 93 deaths, which is still ahead of Italy counting from death 1.

São Paulo is still very empty, which has been the case for the past 12 days, but there are still many people on the streets, subways, bases, etc. 68 deaths were registered in the state, large majority of them on SP capital.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I think its just due to the sheer density and day time population in Manhattan that contributed to a lot of this between NJ commuters and the other 4 boroughs. Possibly the subway was a big catalyst given the confined space and ability for the virus to stick to surfaces for 4 hours to 3 days depending on what it is.
Manhattan appears to have the lowest density of hospitalizations/deaths, in the city proper, though. It's pretty obvious that the deaths in NYC are most heavily concentrated in Orthodox Jewish neighborhoods, which are not particularly heavy users of the subway. They tend to use their own bus lines or walk to work in their neighborhoods. There are likely cultural factors that made this demographic more susceptible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Unsure if maybe there is a correlation between two cities which there is a big gap between one that is more auto-centric, and one that relies more on trains/subways.
People in sprawl still share workplaces, schools, shopping centers, restaurants, bars, sports events, concerts, social gatherings, etc. It isn't clear why someone would be at much greater risk if they lived in a more urban environment.

Michigan presently has the most rapid increases in the U.S. Michigan is an extremely sprawly, autocentric state.

Health/wealth undoubtedly plays a role too. Manhattan is healthier/wealthier than the Outer Boroughs. Michigan is an unhealthy and not particularly prosperous state.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
We've had an unusual number of short power outages in the northeast Atlanta suburbs over the past few days. The power was out at least four times in the past 24 hours. Usually for just a few seconds. I have Georgia Power. Is anyone else experiencing this?
A friend of mine in the Atlanta area mentioned this yesterday.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 3:14 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Manhattan appears to have the lowest density of hospitalizations/deaths, in the city proper, though. It's pretty obvious that the deaths in NYC are most heavily concentrated in Orthodox Jewish neighborhoods, which are not particularly heavy users of the subway. They tend to use their own bus lines or walk to work in their neighborhoods. There are likely cultural factors that made this demographic more susceptible.
True, good point. Yeah I heard about the Orthodox folks having large gatherings at a time when it wasn't advisable. Its like a secret society with those people (also some of my worst clients from a personality level, odd folks).

Definitely some hot spots that grew as a result of that community.

Also I recall some spread occurring at the Brooklyn AG office. I do concur with Cuomo though on density being a factor.

Yeah Michigan is interesting as well. The incubation period is what makes this so elusive. With Manhattan, I was just referring to how so many commute into the borough, and use the subway, which factors in to the density as a means for spread.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions