HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 6:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
I'd imagine you and LeCorbusier would have been pretty good friends, he wanted to tear down all of Paris and "rebuild" it with endless highrise apartment blocks.

I doubt anyone here would say the ToA is the classiest-looking thing in the world, but to say it is just a restaurant is akin to saying that the Alamo is just an old church. The tower symbolizes a time in the city's past when the world's eyes were trained on San Antonio, when for once in the history of this history-obsessed place there was no foot dragging or hand wringing about preservation or scale; they simply went out and built something modern (for the time) and iconic, and did so in record time. If you're unfamiliar with this history (hint: there's a reason its called "Hemisfair tower") I'd suggest boning up on it before you go around trying to tear stuff down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_World%27s_Fair

Also, there's nothing wrong with the Milam building. Go to any city in the country and you'll find similar buildings mixed in amongst the modern glass towers.

Welcome to the forum.
Of course I know the history, but that does not mean I like it or want it to remain, but again, that is my point. All we are talking about here is "it was a time, it was... it made". Let’s make new history...not prevent construction history in SA from happening because of this one restaurant, which it has been proven to do and seems to be doing so now. Look at the same that happened with the grand Hyatt.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 6:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
Hindering? What and how is the tower hindering anything? Do you think someone is going to build just for the sake of building? Look around downtown; there are plenty of places to build if there was any real demand.
There are hight limits due to not wanting to overshadowing the tower.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 6:54 PM

The problem with the Grand Hyatt is that it was built by the City of San Antonio using the low-bid contractor. When this happens, you get a low-bid government building.

They could have made this building more interesting in many ways, but they were budget conscious. I'm pretty sure they only have one set of doors on Market Street!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2004 View Post
I am guessing all the light structures along the highway should be landmarks, there tall and, most likely if more than one person could fit, would have a great view of the city
I think it'd be fun to sit on top of a highway light, and I'm sure the views would be interesting and cool. But I'm also sure the views would be more interesting and cooler if I was sitting on the top of Tower of the Americas.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 8:58 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

in the words of ron burgandy: "boy, that escalated quickly. i mean, that really got out of hand fast."

car2004 , light poles? hindering develepment?

the point made that there is plenty of land to develop is valid. as is the point that no one is exactly petitioning to get the city to allow an 800 foot tower.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 12:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
The problem with the Grand Hyatt is that it was built by the City of San Antonio using the low-bid contractor. When this happens, you get a low-bid government building.

They could have made this building more interesting in many ways, but they were budget conscious. I'm pretty sure they only have one set of doors on Market Street!
Yeah, and sadly when this happens, people are underpaid, which from the news I saw is what happened.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 4:30 AM

Mellencamp honors the past at historic locale

Someone honoring the past in San Antonio.
Hope the recordings turn out good.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/entertai...ic_locale.html

Outside the Gunter Hotel it was the same-old, same-old, just plain South Texas hot.

In Room 414 of the downtown hotel, a singer sat in a folding chair atop a bit of borrowed ballroom dance floor, playing an acoustic guitar and facing a single microphone.

Inside the adjoining room, 413, a tall man reclined on a king-size bed while a couple of engineers worked with reels of tape on an Ampex recorder.

It might have been a scene from 1936, when Robert Johnson recorded what was to become legendary blues in the Gunter. But it wasn't. It was earlier this month, and heartland rocker John Mellencamp and two members of his band, fiddler Miriam Sturm and guitarist Andy York, gathered around a vintage microphone laying down songs while Grammy winning producer T-Bone Burnett, the tall man from Los Angeles by way of Fort Worth, made suggestions now and again.

There was Perrier water in ice chests in a bathtub, laptop computers and iPhones all over the place, room-service eggs and a film crew led by acclaimed shooter Kurt Marcus documenting all of it. Robert Johnson and record producer Don Law didn't have any of that in November of '36, but they probably would have if they could have.

Though he was on tour with Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson, Mellencamp worked on his days off, recording in historic locations using vintage gear. Mellencamp, his musicians and crew, along with producer Burnett, did sessions in the First African Baptist Church in Savannah, Ga., Sun Studio in Memphis and the Sheraton Gunter Hotel. The album, "No Better Than This," is scheduled for release in the spring of next year.

"This is where Robert Johnson recorded," Mellencamp said during a brief break between songs. "The set-up is exactly the same as when he recorded here. At Sun Studio, I stood and sang on the 'x' where Elvis stood and sang. Recording at the church in Savannah was like a religious experience. For me it's just the honor of being able to do that, the luxury of being able to do that."

Mellencamp and company recorded several songs in Savannah and at Sun Studio, two in the Gunter.

"Just this one song was written specifically for a place, this place. It's called 'Right Behind Me' or 'Right Behind Us,' I haven't decided yet. I wrote it just for this room," Mellencamp said. "I could have done this in my studio. But I want to do it this way, and if I can't do what I want at this point, I'm not going to do it. If it's not fun, I'm not going to do it. I'm through digging a ditch."

Burnett, a singer, songwriter and guitarist as well as a first-call producer, has made a considerable mark working with artists including Los Lobos, Elvis Costello, the Wallflowers, Gillian Welch, Alison Krauss and Robert Plant and on the smash hit movie "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" and its soundtrack.

"John is a really great singer and I'm always happy working with him in any environment," Burnett said. "The fact he chose these historic locations is a big plus. The stories that have come out of the sessions are extraordinary. The First African Baptist Church was started in 1775. It was an important stop on the Underground Railroad and central to the civil rights movement. Sun Studio, from a completely different angle, was also important to the civil rights movement and, from another angle, so were Robert Johnson's recordings at the Gunter."

For Burnett, the realities of the settings merged with the myths and stories.

"This was John's idea. I didn't have a sense of what each one could be," he said. "Sun Studios is filled with ghosts. There's energy there. We recorded a full band around one microphone. Everything was focused toward that one point, and it blended. So when a song ended, it was either 'yes' or 'no.' I've been in Sun Studio before, but this one (the Gunter) seems to be the most deeply imbedded in our generation. It's almost like going through the looking glass for me, personally."

The settings made an impact on all involved.

"This is far cooler, more of a vibe and a feeling than just some regular studio," said fiddler Sturm. "I am particularly excited to have even spent time in the same room Robert Johnson occupied — let alone play music."

From Room 414 came the call to action.

"Everybody back on your heads," Mellencamp commanded.

For the next take of "Right Behind Me"/"Right Behind Us," Burnett pulled up a chair near Mellencamp. Sturm and York took their places in the circle. Jokes were exchanged.

"This place is like a warp in time," Burnett said to Mellencamp. "When I first learned about Robert Johnson in the '60s, he was more of a myth than a real person."

"Knowing that (expletive) was sitting right here in 1936 . . .," Mellencamp responded with a measure of awe.

Then he turned toward the microphone and counted off the beat with his boot.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 4:57 AM
Meh

Quote:
I hope they tear down that 650ft overpriced restaurant. I am tired of that "building" keeping SA from getting more useable, eye pleasing construction to this city. Austin, San Diego and Boston all have populations lower than us, but yet have more to offer. Sad. On a side note, tear down that 1929 building next to the sight of the new Embassy suites hotel downtown. That building is horrible. It is the worst building I have ever seen. What person on earth thinks is beautiful?!---My three story apt complex looks better than that junk.
Be gone tower of Americas, be gone!!! Here is an idea, construct a muiti use building with a restaurant on top. That way all people get to enjoy it---For example, The Prudential Tower, instead of some hollow-out UFO looking plate with colored lights and a $25 and up menu. Tell me, what else does this building serve for the public or the private sector? You might as well have an Ihop on there.
You must not be from San Antonio. The Tower of the Americas is the last thing hindering development downtown. If anything, it's one of the few things attracting people there in the first place. I'm jealous of it actually. I'd LOVE to have an observation tower like the Tower of the Americas in Austin. You guys don't know how lucky you are. Having a relatively cheap way of getting to see your city from high up is so nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX
Ha, Boston ande San Diego I would agree, Austin, not quite. The Milam isn't so bad, great history, the first air conditioned skyscraper.
I don't want to get into an argument over it, but I have to admit, Austin's skyline is looking more impressive, at least height-wise, than San Antonio's. I was in San Antonio last month, went all over downtown and took a ton of pictures (still haven't gotten to editing them yet, been busy), and then saw Austin's skyline later that day, and Austin's skyline is looking bigger and fuller. I never would have said that before 360 and The Austonian were built, but it is becoming true. I also thought that would remain true for a very long time, I have to admit, I was wondering if we'd ever see anything of considerable height in Austin. Before 360 and The Austonian were were built, I always looked at San Antonio, and Fort Worth, as having much better and taller skylines than Austin did. Heck, even Corpus Christi had a taller building than we did before 2004. With the height of the spires on the Marriott in San Antonio in question now, and likely not topping 500 feet, that means that without the Tower of the Americas, San Antonio doesn't have a single 500 footer. Austin has had one now since 2004 (Frost) and now has two 500 footers and a 600 footer. But, I'm not saying this in a competitive way, just factual. I grew up being proud that I was born in San Antonio and would come down there on trips with the family and just loved seeing the place and always felt like I was in a bigger city with a much more impressive skyline. Maybe it's not important, but I've always been a height hound when it comes to skylines, so it's always been the way I've measured skylines. I've always held San Antonio with high regard, so even if Austin has a taller skyline or more buildings, it doesn't matter, San Antonio is special and I will always think of it differently. You guys know that!

Anyway, be proud of what you have though. You guys have an amazing downtown with tons of potential. And not everything is about skylines anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2004
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0763098.html
You're measuring by city population though, WRONG. El Paso's city population is only about 150,000 less than Austin's, but it's metro area is 500,000 less, and its skyline reflects that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydoc14
First of all, it's 622', not 650'. With that being said, it's still well over 500', and therefore SA has had a skyscraper over 500' for many more years than San Diego and Austin (like 30 years probably) and is still the tallest thing between Houston and LA
It's only 622 feet to the roof. The height with the antenna which should not be included in the official height since it is not part of the design, and wasn't even added to the tower until years later, is 750 feet, though I've also heard 728 feet most recently (I doubt that lower number, however). As for the tallest "thing" between Houston and LA, that doesn't make sense. There are tv towers in West Austin that are almost 1,400 feet tall. Aren't they things too? And I'm sure there are towers of similar height in San Antonio, and from here to LA. And you're completely ignoring anything in Denver and Las Vegas which both have taller buildings than Austin and San Antonio, again, you shouldn't count antennas. And for buildings, Austin has already passed the Tower of the Americas. The Austonian is already taller by a good 30 feet. They're working on the 57th floor inside of the mechanical penthouse which is at about 650 feet. Even so it still has another 33 feet to go. The crane for it right now is at 736 feet.

By the way, I have never been to the restaurant in the tower. But I try to visit the observation deck every time I'm in town. You guys don't know how lucky you are with that.

And whatever you do, don't tear down the Milam or any other of San Antonio's gems. Work on filling in the nasty parking lots first, then if it absolutely warrants it, fine, but until then, they should be off limits. I look at the old buildings in San Antonio as proof that the city can thrive and be an important center. Sure, they're old, but so is the Empire State Building. They're icons and landmarks, and the city should protect them, while also encouraging new growth. One thing that some of the San Antonio forumers and even a few Austin forumers seem to think, is that with all the new development in Austin that it is somehow going to take away from what we've got going. But I disagree, I think the new can stand right beside the old, as long as it's done in a respectful way and one that is attractive at street level (most important). There can still be new taller, glassy and glitzy towers with the older stone buildings. The old buildings still serve a purpose and can be reused. The idea that they're no longer of any use is a product of today's throw-away-minded society. San Antonio can still be cutting edge and modern, while still being full of history and old world charm. Europe knows how to do it.

Quote:
There are hight limits due to not wanting to overshadowing the tower.
I have never heard of that. The only height limits I've heard about are ones banning shadows over the Alamo and portions of the riverwalk. Otherwise, to my knowledge, there are no height limits in downtown. Not even for aviation reasons. Even the tv towers in downtown are about the same height as the TOA.

Quote:
Of course I know the history, but that does not mean I like it or want it to remain, but again, that is my point. All we are talking about here is "it was a time, it was... it made". Let’s make new history...not prevent construction history in SA from happening because of this one restaurant, which it has been proven to do and seems to be doing so now. Look at the same that happened with the grand Hyatt.
Huh?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
It's only 622 feet to the roof. The height with the antenna which should not be included in the official height since it is not part of the design, and wasn't even added to the tower until years later, is 750 feet, though I've also heard 728 feet most recently (I doubt that lower number, however). As for the tallest "thing" between Houston and LA, that doesn't make sense. There are tv towers in West Austin that are almost 1,400 feet tall. Aren't they things too? And I'm sure there are towers of similar height in San Antonio, and from here to LA. And you're completely ignoring anything in Denver and Las Vegas which both have taller buildings than Austin and San Antonio, again, you shouldn't count antennas. And for buildings, Austin has already passed the Tower of the Americas. The Austonian is already taller by a good 30 feet. They're working on the 57th floor inside of the mechanical penthouse which is at about 650 feet. Even so it still has another 33 feet to go. The crane for it right now is at 736 feet.
Umm...Kevin..do you forget who you're lecturing heights too? The person who was the first to point out the GH was taller than the Marriott and spent at least a month trying to recalculate the height? The person who not only doesn't figure in antennas, but also completely ignores the spires of the Marriott because they give about as much visual height as an antenna (NONE). And don't lecture me about how spires are still counted...I know this...but I don't care!

And as for being the tallest thing between Houston and LA, that makes perfect sense, because it's true. Due to the casual nature of my message and context clues, you should have known by "thing" that I was referring to skyscrapers. And, when going between Houston and LA, you don't go through Austin, Denver, or Vegas (unless that's part of your trip plan). Instead, you go through San Antonio, El Paso, and Phoenix. So, after I leave San Antonio on I-10, I won't see any"thing" taller than Tower of the Americas until I get to LA.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 8:23 AM
Meh

I guess. Anyway, the Austonian is now the tallest all residential building west of the Mississippi River, and the tallest building in Texas outside of Houston and Dallas. It's the tallest from Austin to LA (South of Denver and Las Vegas of course), from Austin to Houston, from Austin to Dallas and from Austin to Mexico City.

And I wasn't thinking of driving. I tend to look at a map and think geographically where places and things are located. Cars are only one means of getting there, and do not, at all, affect their location or relation to other places.

Anyway, I need to get motivated and get my photos of San Antonio edited.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 1:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydoc14 View Post
Umm...Kevin..do you forget who you're lecturing heights too? The person who was the first to point out the GH was taller than the Marriott and spent at least a month trying to recalculate the height? The person who not only doesn't figure in antennas, but also completely ignores the spires of the Marriott because they give about as much visual height as an antenna (NONE). And don't lecture me about how spires are still counted...I know this...but I don't care!

And as for being the tallest thing between Houston and LA, that makes perfect sense, because it's true. Due to the casual nature of my message and context clues, you should have known by "thing" that I was referring to skyscrapers. And, when going between Houston and LA, you don't go through Austin, Denver, or Vegas (unless that's part of your trip plan). Instead, you go through San Antonio, El Paso, and Phoenix. So, after I leave San Antonio on I-10, I won't see any"thing" taller than Tower of the Americas until I get to LA.
I always thought it was weird to court the spire. I only court the roof top. On that note, I think they could have made the Freedom Tower (now, 1 World Trade Center) 1776 ft tall, from ground to roof, not 408 ft of antenna and/ or spire, so dumb.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 4:57 PM

River Walk burlesque club in the works

from the DTblog

Quote:

If everything goes according to one entrepreneur's plan, a burlesque nightclub called the Blackstone Lounge will open on the River Walk in spring 2010. A location has been secured. And investors are even on board, but the owner said they're still a good chunk of change away from making the club a reality.

On Friday, the folks over at 210SA (a little kinky in their own right) brought to my attention the Web site blackstonelounge.com. I contacted the club's owner and chatted him up.

Its proprietor, who wanted to be referred to in this blog as Mr. Blackstone, said the club will provide an upscale and classy topless show "like you'd see in Vegas," as well as live jazz, comedy acts and magic shows.

"I think it's an important place to have in San Antonio, a place that's welcoming of female sensuality on their own terms," Mr. Blackstone said. "A place that's gonna be unique and exotic. And they need a place that's built for them. Not a rock 'n' roll club that gets converted into a burlesque club for one night. This is their place."

Burlesque acts include elaborate stripteases where performers eventually go topless. At the Blackstone Lounge, performers would wear pasties over their you-know-whats.

"In the burlesque business, pasties are more of what you'd imagine pasties to be. Sometimes their colorful or have tassels. They're more ornate and match their costumes," Mr. Blackstone said, adding that lap dances would not be allowed because the Blackstone would not be a strip club.

The lounge was originally slated to open this fall but an investor dropped out. Now the project is $250,000 away from launch. Mr. Blackstone wouldn't reveal the total cost of the project.

He's also wouldn't divulge the location. "We kind of want to save that as a surprise," he said. "It's more of a marketing thing." He did say the club would be located on the River Walk, is 3,500 square feet in size and that it will occupy a space that's currently empty (in other words, the plan isn't to convert an existing establishment into the Blackstone Lounge.)

Sometime last year, Mr. Blackstone contacted the office of District 1 Councilwoman Mary Alice Cisneros. It was suggested he meet with the Downtown Residents Association and Downtown Alliance San Antonio.

DRA president Joan Korte said Mr. Blackstone sought support from the group, but that all the group did was listen.

"He kept telling us it was going to be tastefully done and he wanted our support," Korte said. "There was no official support from the DRA at all. This is too hot to handle for us. I know we've got an awful lot of people more against it than for it."

Cisneros' chief of staff Adam Greenup said the office is "very receptive to the (Downtown Residents) Association."

"(The consensus of the DRA) would certainly be a factor if it were to become anything more than conceptual," Greenup added.

Downtown Alliance director Ben Brewer couldn't be reached for comment Monday. Charlie Leva, interim director for the Paseo del Rio Association, said he hadn't heard of plans for the Blackstone Lounge and that he needed more information before he could comment.

Whether the club would require a sexually-oriented business permit would be determined during the application process with the city's Planning & Development Services department. Mr. Blackstone said that process, as well as the obtaining of a liquor license, won't begin until the final $250,000 is secured.

Mr. Blackstone said he's been talking to Michelle L'amour, a Chicago-based burlesque performer and who appeared on "America's Got Talent" a few years back, about being the entertainment director.

Korte said she doesn't condone burlesque.

"I've gone to those shows myself in Las Vegas, but I don't know about it being on the River Walk," Korte said.

For Mr. Blackstone, it's about reviving the genre in San Antonio.

"The people that are most excited about this project are women," Mr. Blackstone said. "There are a lot of women that want to see positive portrayals of sexuality and sensuality. We feel like we have enough support."

So what do you think about burlesque on the River Walk? Are you for it or against it?

— Benjamin Olivo
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 8:05 PM

Sounds awesome! Hope it becomes a reality!

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 12:09 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

With all this retarded height talk, I'm of the mind that I'd rather have SA be a Vancouver (tons of mid to [low] high rise buildings) than a Denver or Charlotte (cluster of tall buildings and then small buildings) skyline wise.

I think SA could do this with River North and Hemisfair.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 12:40 AM

[QUOTE=sirkingwilliam;4412681]With all this retarded height talk, I'm of the mind that I'd rather have SA be a Vancouver (tons of mid to [low] high rise buildings) than a Denver or Charlotte (cluster of tall buildings and then small buildings) skyline wise.

That’s always been my logic as well. Not to mention the great stock of older building downtown, That city’s like Houston etc lack. The great thing about Austin and San Antonio is, both downtowns are very different. If you want history, family fun, etc you go Downtown Sa. If you want young, hip, modern, etc you got Austin.

As to the newcomer with comments about the Tower of the Americas wow ha. It’s not the greatest looking thing out there. But it’s different and it’s what makes our skyline standout. I couldn’t picture SA without it. Can you maybe at least admit it looks better than Reunion tower in Dallas?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 1:17 AM
BANNED

[QUOTE=Texan101;4412745]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
With all this retarded height talk, I'm of the mind that I'd rather have SA be a Vancouver (tons of mid to [low] high rise buildings) than a Denver or Charlotte (cluster of tall buildings and then small buildings) skyline wise.

That’s always been my logic as well. Not to mention the great stock of older building downtown, That city’s like Houston etc lack. The great thing about Austin and San Antonio is, both downtowns are very different. If you want history, family fun, etc you go Downtown Sa. If you want young, hip, modern, etc you got Austin.

As to the newcomer with comments about the Tower of the Americas wow ha. It’s not the greatest looking thing out there. But it’s different and it’s what makes our skyline standout. I couldn’t picture SA without it. Can you maybe at least admit it looks better than Reunion tower in Dallas?
What is different as been away for 31 years, that’s not different in my eyes. I like Dallas, I love how they surrounded the tower with high rises, and the view up there looks great. In that regard, I will say, if SA did the same thing, I would be at the tower every day, but that tower is in the middle of nowhere and the city keeps trying to make it stand alone, and regard it as unique. Problem with that is it gets kind of old doing that. I say, change it up, surrounded it with new parks and highrises---like millennium park or grand central park. But, say, I will admit, I really do love the tower, but because it seems to be keeping other development from happening, I do have resentment toward it. In the end, like I said, redevelop the area as stated above.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 3:43 AM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:

What is different as been away for 31 years, that’s not different in my eyes. I like Dallas, I love how they surrounded the tower with high rises, and the view up there looks great. In that regard, I will say, if SA did the same thing, I would be at the tower every day, but that tower is in the middle of nowhere and the city keeps trying to make it stand alone, and regard it as unique. Problem with that is it gets kind of old doing that. I say, change it up, surrounded it with new parks and highrises---like millennium park or grand central park. But, say, I will admit, I really do love the tower, but because it seems to be keeping other development from happening, I do have resentment toward it. In the end, like I said, redevelop the area as stated above.
come to think of it, brackenridge park sure is taking up a lot of space in river north that could be used for mid-rise and high-rise development...

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 4:30 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan101
Totally agreed. I really like how different and unique San Antonio's downtown is. It's like no other place in Texas really. There are only two places in Texas I like to go to feel like I'm "getting away" even though they aren't that far away at all. They are, San Antonio, with the great Mexican culture, semi-European feel downtown, the history, Riverwalk, the Alamo, and of course the food. The other is the coast, namely Corpus Christi/Port Aransas and Galveston. Just hitting the beach and going for a swim there or fishing. Although those two activities aren't far away, they have a very different feel from what I'm used to in Austin. I can't enjoy either of those on the level that I can in those other places. While I wouldn't mind a meatier skyline in San Antonio, I'd rather it build on what it has going for it already. And agreed on the higher number of moderate height highrises. This is one argument car2004 might have, and that is not having the skyline taken over by a ton of taller buildings. I LOVE the view from the Tower of the Americas. I love that you can see all of downtown, but also look passed downtown into the Hill Country. Most of the hillier parts of San Antonio are on the opposite side of downtown from the tower. So blocking the view with more towers would suck. Of course, there are other areas in downtown where tall towers could go while not blocking the view. The view to the south and east are pretty boring, really. It would be awesome if you guys could bury I-37 and build on top of it and extend downtown farther east. Anyway, the argument about the tower hindering development is hilarious, there are still plenty of parking lots on the fringes of downtown that could be developed. Don't mess up the view from the TOA. Dallas' Reunion Tower's view is pretty bland really, sure there's a sweet view of the skyline, but it's so near downtown that it's like standing 4 feet from a huge wall with a mural painted on it and trying to enjoy it. And I'm not bashing Dallas of course, just saying I like that the TOA still has a nice view.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 7:57 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
come to think of it, brackenridge park sure is taking up a lot of space in river north that could be used for mid-rise and high-rise development...
No, not Brack Park, BUT there's an area between 281 and the Brack golf course filled with small old houses that would be ideal for a street grid development with mid-rises and high rises right next to the soon-to-be expanded Riverwalk.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 11:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
I havent been in that area since 2006 fall, and I love that area! Good idea!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio