HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 12:03 AM
takes too many pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDollar View Post
I want to upload my pictures but I don't know how to upload the files from my computer to the thread. If anyone can tell me how to do this, I can upload my pictures

Thanks,
Sam
Im replying to my own comment,
As you can tell from the top of the page, I figured out how to get pictures uploaded

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 12:34 AM
low-riding

thats very cool man. the perspective of the actual driver going through the bridges, tunnels and such isn't shown as much. Damn, the GWB looks impressive when you drive across it. i miss having a car. keep it up man. i look forward to seeing your pics of driving over these beauties

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 1:42 AM

Wow, I've never gone across the GW Bridge. It is beautiful!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 2:18 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

what exactly is the 153 st bridge crossing?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 5:32 AM
low-riding

its a bridge that crosses the metro north tracks in the bronx. all the green space doesn't exist yet. its currently been dirt and a parking lot for mta personnel. I didnt know about these plans. I like em, but knowing the area, seems like a waste of money. that said, i still hope it gets built along with the park underneath

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 6:17 AM
low-riding

Scruffy's Bridge of the Day #2

Manhattan Bridge
Connecting Canal St/ Bowery in Chinatown with Flatbush Ave in Brooklyn, this bridge carries 7 lanes of traffic 2 pedestrian walkways and 4 subway tracks on 2 levels. After 8 years of construction this 31 million dollar bridge opened on 12/31/1909. This is the baby of the Lower Manhattan bridges as its not even a century old yet. Its main span is 1470ft or roughly the Sears Tower on its side. The main span clears the water by 135 feet and the towers reach 322 ft. Easily one of my favorite bridges in the world.

Pics taken over a 3 year period

BK side anchorage

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 12:57 PM
New Yorker for life

More of the city's lesser known bridges...

Gil Hodges Memorial (Marine Parkway) Bridge
Brooklyn's connection to the Rockaways...

nps.gov

wikimedia.org

static.flickr.com/123/309638644_5ff1a112c2_b.jpg

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 1:12 PM
New Yorker for life

Bayonne Bridge

Connecting Bayonne (of course) NJ with Staten Island. One of three bridges between Staten Island and New Jersey...

stevegarufi.com

ktransit.com

bayonnenj.org

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2007, 4:04 PM
Cold Bottles of Becks

This pic of the GWB was posted by RFCGRAPHICS in SSC

Old Posted Jun 9, 2007, 6:12 PM
takes too many pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealMist View Post
This pic of the GWB was posted by RFCGRAPHICS in SSC

The GWB does look amazing with the interior lights on but they are very rarely turned on

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 3:07 AM
low-riding

that is a gorgeous pic. wow.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 1:41 AM

F.Y.I., the GWB towers were designed to be clad in stone, but once completed, it was widely agreed that is was beautiful with the framework exposed...I agree.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 8:26 PM
drifting away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grego43 View Post
F.Y.I., the GWB towers were designed to be clad in stone, but once completed, it was widely agreed that is was beautiful with the framework exposed...I agree.
the towers were deigned to be covered in stone, but the stone was supposed to be for structural, not aesthetic reasons. but then they found out that the steel skeleton was sufficient, so the stone was left off to cut costs.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2007, 6:29 PM
low-riding

Scruffy's Bridge of the day #3

Williamsburg Bridge

My least favorite bridge in the entire city. Hence the lack of coverage. Its thick, utilitarian, efficient. Everything a bidge needs to be. But it lacks charm, grace, art, beauty, flow, and everything the eye needs to find something appealing. It carries 8 car lanes, 2 subway lanes and a ped walkway so it is very utlilized. but its ugly. The support towers taper in ackwardly from roadbed level to the top. There are no support cables from the towers to the anchorages, instead that secion has its own support structure underneath. The worst part is driving on it. Unless you are on the outer two lanes, you are encased in this metallic cage that prohibits views of anything by a metal tunnel. Very narrow lanes too. Isn't as much fun when you're competing with a 16 wheeler for two lanes.

The 310 foot towers where the first all steel towers employed for a suspension bridge. (this bridge came before the Manhattan) This bridge opened on December 19th, 1903 currently making it a ripe 103 years old. It connects the lower east side of Manhattan to the, now trendy, Williamsburg section of Brooklyn. After it opened they noticed that the bridge began to sag on the unsuspended spans between the tower and anchorage so additional supports were added here. Originally meant to carry 6 subway lines and 4 car lanes, 4 subway lines were reconfigured as car lanes in 1920s for better traffic flow.

The bridge fell into disrepair and in 1980, Pei Cobb Freed and partners proposed a cable stayed bridge with a 1600ft main span with concrete towers 585ft tall. instead the NYC DOT chose to repair the bridge over a 25 year period. The bridge clears the water by 135ft and its main span is exactly 1600 ft which is longer than taipei 101 on its side.

Next Queensboro

Old Posted Jun 14, 2007, 9:21 PM
Cold Bottles of Becks

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanhead4529 View Post
the towers were deigned to be covered in stone, but the stone was supposed to be for structural, not aesthetic reasons. but then they found out that the steel skeleton was sufficient, so the stone was left off to cut costs.
I remember seeing something on TV that by doing this it was one of the first structures to embrace the architectural beauty of the steel skeleton like that

Old Posted Jun 18, 2007, 1:47 AM
takes too many pics

I will be uploading new pictures within the next couple of days. My plan is to upload the lower level George Washington Bridge pictures and then upload my Tappan Zee Bridge pictures

Old Posted Jun 18, 2007, 5:49 PM
low-riding

the tappan zee, what a mess. great bridge, 3 miles long. faling apart and the state has no idea what to do. rehab may cost too much for a bridge over capacity and decades past the stated lifespan. a tunnel may be too costly. a brand new suspension bridge is what they are leaning towards. which is exciting. the river at that point can support that longest suspension span in the world, but they won't build that since the west side of the river is too shallow for heavy ships. sp they would have to keep the mainspan towards the eastern shore where it is now

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 6:23 PM
takes too many pics

The Tappan Zee Bridge

The Tappan Zee Bridge
The Governor Malcolm Wilson Tappan Zee Bridge (Known as just the Tappan Zee Bridge) crosses the \Hudson River at its widest point which is known as the Tappan Zee. The Bridge opened to traffic in December of 1955. The bridge is designated as Interstate 87/287 and is part of the I-87 Section of the New York State Thruway. The bridge has 7 lanes of traffic: 3 lanes in each direction with one interchangeable lane.
The bridge is subject to major traffic jams and is always crowded. There is a $4.00 toll for cars and it is payable via cash or E-ZPass.
The bridge is in a state of disrepair and it would be inefficient to pay the money to fix the bridge so the MTA (Metropolitan Transit Authority) will probably be replacing the bridge.

All pictures were taken by me on Sunday June 17, 2007. These pictures are taken heading east from Rockland County to Westchester County.

Sign seen on the Garden State Parkway before crossing the line into New York about 10 miles from the bridge

Sign Seen Just Before Entering New York State About 9.5 miles from the bridge

Welcome to New York State sign about 9.5 miles from the bridge

Directional Sign for Junction with I-87 & I-287 (NYS Thruway) about 8.5 miles from the bridge

Directional Sign For Tappan Zee Bridge about 8 miles from the bridge

Entering Hudson Valley National Heritage Area sign about 8 miles from the bridge

Highway Split at the Junction with the NYS Thruway 7.5 miles from the bridge

Palisdades Center Mall (3rd Largest Mall in the US) Main Entrance AS Seen From the NYS Thruway (I-87/I-287) about 4 miles from the bridge

The Hudson River (Tappan Zee Section) visible about 2 miles from the bridge

The Tappan Zee Bridge As Seen After Just Getting On

About 1/3 of a mile down the 3 mile bridge

Looking south off the bridge towards New York City which is a short drive away

The six pictures above are of traveling through the cantilevered section of the bridge

Just after the cantilevered section of the bridge about 1 mile from the toll plaza

The toll plaza in Westchester County. If you were to continue north about 2 1/2-3 hours, you will hit Albany, the State Capitol of New York.

Next Bridge/Tunnel: Probably the Lincoln Tunnel

©All Photographs Owned By Sam Leibman (USDollar)

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 12:31 AM
low-riding

The cantilevered superstructure for this type of bridge is enormous. 7 lanes wide. far bigger than the narrowness of the outerbridge crossing and the goethals. both similar style bridges

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture