HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 4:48 PM
self-important urbanista

So I'm wondering if Paliscociety's acquisition did not include the Arrive in Phoenix, although the article mentions it as attractive due to its resort amenities.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 4:53 PM

My guess is Arrive Phoenix was not a corporate owned property and the local owners didn't want to be part of Palisociety - who knows why. Hotel brands are just management companies.

Looks like they're signed up with Benchmark now in the Gemstone Collection. Here's their brand site: https://www.benchmarkglobalhospitali...chmark_brands/

Valley Ho and Mountain Shadows - both Bill Nassikas' hotels - are now Benchmark as well.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 4:54 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
My guess is Arrive Phoenix was not a corporate owned property and the local owners didn't want to be part of Palisociety - who knows why. Hotel brands are just management companies.

Looks like they're signed up with Benchmark now in the Gemstone Collection. Here's their brand site: https://www.benchmarkglobalhospitali...chmark_brands/

Valley Ho and Mountain Shadows - both Bill Nassikas' hotels - are now Benchmark as well.
Thanks. That adds some perspective.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 4:58 PM

Quote:

Well, that is certainly an upgrade. I saw one of my favorite hotels, Turtle Bay Resort (North Shore Oahu) on that list.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 12:48 AM

Saw this article from Reuters on Reddit about TSMC looking to expand fabs here.

http://www.reuters.com/technology/ch...es-2021-05-04/

Last edited by YourBuddy; May 5, 2021 at 1:55 AM. Reason: Fixing link

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 11:28 PM

I’m not even going to include the potential of a Samsung site, but if TSMC is looking to build 6 fabs compared to the single $12b fab, Phoenix could be looking at $80b+ in new microchip investment when looking at both TSMC and Intel. Arizona was already a high ranking microchip manufacturing state, but I would have to imagine this would put us in the top tier with California and Texas for exporting chips.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 4:39 PM

I was going to post this in the Astra site but since it's relevant to all construction I'll drop it here. Essentially I look at it as though all these buildings are back to the drawing board. Georgia Pacific's blog is naturally bias but it's a good, likely explanation of why things are not moving.

https://buildgp.com/blog-post/rising...omic-progress/

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 5:13 PM

Quote:
I was going to post this in the Astra site but since it's relevant to all construction I'll drop it here. Essentially I look at it as though all these buildings are back to the drawing board. Georgia Pacific's blog is naturally bias but it's a good, likely explanation of why things are not moving.

https://buildgp.com/blog-post/rising...omic-progress/
Anyone else wonder why their name is Georgia-Pacific? I mean, I could probably look it up, but I saw a stack of their lumber at a construction site and thought about how Georgia is no where near the Pacific.

Since there isn't much anyone can do about rising prices and it's across the board, seems like it'll be either: A) put a bunch of projects on hold until prices come back down (if they even do in a reasonable time frame) or B) adjust higher what they will charge (for rents, leases, or sale, whatever) when their project is complete. I hope it's not just stall everything. I'm not sure how anything works, but hopefully some projects have locked in contracts for material deliveries already (and they'll actually get fulfilled). Anything not yet there might be a big problem.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Anyone else wonder why their name is Georgia-Pacific? I mean, I could probably look it up, but I saw a stack of their lumber at a construction site and thought about how Georgia is no where near the Pacific.

Since there isn't much anyone can do about rising prices and it's across the board, seems like it'll be either: A) put a bunch of projects on hold until prices come back down (if they even do in a reasonable time frame) or B) adjust higher what they will charge (for rents, leases, or sale, whatever) when their project is complete. I hope it's not just stall everything. I'm not sure how anything works, but hopefully some projects have locked in contracts for material deliveries already (and they'll actually get fulfilled). Anything not yet there might be a big problem.

Apparently they started in Georgia with lumber mills there, and when they opened their first West Coast facility, they changed the name to Georgia-Pacific.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgi...ny%20in%201948.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Since there isn't much anyone can do about rising prices and it's across the board, seems like it'll be either: A) put a bunch of projects on hold until prices come back down (if they even do in a reasonable time frame) or B) adjust higher what they will charge (for rents, leases, or sale, whatever) when their project is complete.
I think A is likely. I think B is unlikely because you can only charge what the market will bear for your finished space. Can't over-spend on construction and expect the consumer to just say "oh, okay I'll pay extra for your product".

I think most likely is C) everything gets value engineered.

I have a friend building a hillside home near Lookout Mountain and he's been futzing around for the past year with indecision. During that time the cost of lumber has risen so much that he's going to build the house with block. The delta is now so small that other materials are being introduced to the discussion. I have to imagine the same conversations are happening with developers.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 8:21 AM

With that all said, the two Toll Brothers projects seem to be moving very quick. They even added another small crane at the Thomas location, they’re already working on the fifth story in some spots. The signage says summer 2022, but at this rate it seems like it may be sooner than that, the Indian School one says Summer 2022 but they haven’t started on the wood frame yet but looking close and they don’t have a garage to build. Between those two, Aura Midtown and the Park Central one, also Novel just starting to fill up, midtown is getting pretty dense!

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 1:08 PM

Is Novel the building on Earl? I really like that one.

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 2:04 PM
Skyriser

Yeah, it's that one. I like that building a lot too. Definitely one of the better looking projects to have come out.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Is Novel the building on Earl? I really like that one.
Yeah, I thought it was going to have retail though, like the one on Highland and 16th st that they built but it doesn’t. Nice though.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 2:44 AM

Old Posted May 14, 2021, 2:17 PM

TSMC doubling down on US chips as European talks falter.

Quote:
The more advanced 3-nanometer plant could cost $23 billion to $25 billion, one person familiar with the matter told Reuters. Details of TSMC’s plans for the additional factories at the Arizona site have not been previously reported.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...-idUSKBN2CV0JC

Old Posted May 17, 2021, 10:49 PM

Delayed auction for possible Samsung sites rescheduled for this week

Let's see if any better luck this time around...

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...scheduled.html

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 8:46 PM

Interesting article on the rise of million-dollar home sales in the Valley:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/in-phoe...gh-11621453519

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Let's see if any better luck this time around...

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...scheduled.html
So any buyers?

Old Posted May 20, 2021, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA744PHX View Post
So any buyers?
PHX Biz Journals says that it was postponed again. Rumors Samsung announces on Friday the site location. May have lost out on this one.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest