HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 3:19 AM
James

I've always felt the Alamodome parking lots are ripe for stadiums. Build garages with retail on the bottom. Residences on top. Offices. Hotels. There are tracks right there running through it for the future. Problem solved.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 12:51 PM
JACKinBeantown

^^ (like button)

Build a basketball arena on the north end of Lot C with a 15-story garage on the south end (with ground level retail... i.e. bars, restaurants, and gift shops). Leave Lots A & B open for a new future stadium to replace the Alamodome

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sa...16zL20vMGYydzA.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
I've always felt the Alamodome parking lots are ripe for stadiums. Build garages with retail on the bottom. Residences on top. Offices. Hotels. There are tracks right there running through it for the future. Problem solved.
Agreed, St. Paul Square is slowly picking up speed...there is at least one multi-family project in the pipeline. Amtrak has also expressed interest in increasing services in Texas. The Spurs are trying to capture a wider audience and if regular service up and down the I-35 corridor ever happened, it could lead to a really exciting Alamodome/Sprurs Arena District in that area.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 1:27 PM

That actually sounds like a solid plan. Didn't even think of the pre existing rail line there.

I really wonder how hard it would be to have a SA-Aus "higher speed" rail like the Amtrak between DC-NYC (might go to Boston too, not sure)

The infrastructure/Amtrak presence is already there and it's not like a faster SA-Austin route is encroaching on Southwest's dollars since there's no flight. As much as a high speed rail would be great, it seems like a logical move.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 2:33 AM
TEXAS BORN AND RAISED

Personally I think the best location for an arena is where the old courthouse at Hemisfair is located. Along with the arena I would extend the riverwalk ( The convention center branch) through the convention center then turn SE and end it at the Tower of the Americas. The arena would be south of the extended riverwalk along with a new entertainment district around the arena and base of the tower.

This complements what's already being planned at Hemisfair.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2023, 1:29 PM

Looks like the Google Earth 3D imagery got updated again
If I had to guess the imagery is from March or April so unfortunately 300 Main isn't topped out on there but the Floodgate, UTSA school, and the construction around the pearl area is much more defined

Last edited by CWalk99; Jun 16, 2023 at 1:44 PM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2023, 3:15 AM

Any criticisms of Frost Tower vanish when you look at the building tonight. How dazzlying and powerful. Hope some photographers are snapping pics of it.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2023, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritofSeguin View Post
Any criticisms of Frost Tower vanish when you look at the building tonight. How dazzlying and powerful. Hope some photographers are snapping pics of it.

The Frost Tower is stunning! Let the doomsday naysayers have their fun and say. Just remember, there as many positive people as there are naysayers! A fact of life and words to live by!!! Have an amazing day!!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2023, 8:59 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
What is it doing?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
What is it doing?
It was alternating in red/white/blue colors for the 9/11 anniversary. Oddly enough Tower of the Americas didn't participate, they're rocking orange lights on the roof with the rainbow alternations at the outdoor deck (I guess for October?). The colors were snaking up the roof and changing as it hit the crowns, or points I guess. The building at night really reminds me of Bank of America Plaza in Dallas, only a couple hundred feet shorter lol.

Gotta keep a close eye on that entire area of downtown, it's gonna change pretty dramatically in the next five years. Frost Tower was just the first baby step.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 1:21 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Who's criticizing it lol, even my normie friends love it. And it's 90% leased, so the market agrees.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 2:09 PM
JACKinBeantown

My only criticism is the big, ugly parking garage. The building itself is great. In fact, too bad it's not a few floors taller, but that seems to be Frost's MO.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2023, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
Who's criticizing it lol, even my normie friends love it. And it's 90% leased, so the market agrees.
I've heard critiques that it's a giant mirror and that it was poorly thought out when you're driving down I35 around sunset from the west and the sun shines down on the road. Also critiques that it blocks up the view from living in the Soap Factory area. Also critiques that it's just an uninspired building compared to Austin's Frost Tower, for example. Or that it isn't tall enough. You could make a complaint about any building, though.

It's certainly a bustling place, always workers bringing Jimmy Johns and now Chick-fil-A. Legacy Park has events every week with the Texas Public Radio one block down from the tower. Now that the benches are being installed in front of City Towers little mini plaza the whole strip should get busier with traffic being able to pass freely.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2023, 8:32 AM

Quote:
I've heard critiques that it's a giant mirror and that it was poorly thought out when you're driving down I35 around sunset from the west and the sun shines down on the road. Also critiques that it blocks up the view from living in the Soap Factory area. Also critiques that it's just an uninspired building compared to Austin's Frost Tower, for example. Or that it isn't tall enough. You could make a complaint about any building, though.

It's certainly a bustling place, always workers bringing Jimmy Johns and now Chick-fil-A. Legacy Park has events every week with the Texas Public Radio one block down from the tower. Now that the benches are being installed in front of City Towers little mini plaza the whole strip should get busier with traffic being able to pass freely.
I drive with sunglasses and that typically solves the problem with the sun in any situation.

If you don't want your views block don't live downtown.

While not as tall, they are both "squatty".

Old Posted Sep 19, 2023, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post
I drive with sunglasses and that typically solves the problem with the sun in any situation.

If you don't want your views block don't live downtown.

While not as tall, they are both "squatty".

Squatty is good word. I've heard tourists remark that it looks like they got about halfway up, and stopped.

Regardless, it looks fine to me, and there is plenty of activity around it.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2023, 2:00 AM

Where is everyone going for the ring of fire eclipse tomorrow?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2023, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverranchdrone View Post
Where is everyone going for the ring of fire eclipse tomorrow?
Outside!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 2:56 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

https://www.nba.com/news/san-antonio...orm-viva-spurs

Not really a sports jersey guy, but man this is a take my money please moment if there ever was one. Also I'd like to believe this is a bit of "Build the New Hemisfair Arena Please" propaganda, but maybe I'm just seeing what I want to see

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 6:14 PM

Express News released an article about an hour ago saying the city is now seriously considering Hemisfair for a new arena, and that a city official discouraged the Missions' owners from pursing it for a new stadium because they were looking at it. The article mentions Lot A (south) for Alamodome as a potential site which would be really interesting, but there would need to be a serious conversation about flattening I-37 in that spot...or build tunnels.

The Spurs, Missions and the Roadrunners all within eyesight of each other is the future.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 6:38 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Ha, so that comes out within hours of the Spurs Hemisfair merch drop. COINCIDENCE???

And yeah let's put the missions in Lot A. I think there's around room.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio