HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 4:07 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
Osborne Street is in a poor state.
Just go a little further down the street. South Osborne is beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
That's some "9/11 was an inside job" type of shit right there.
Haha no kidding.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I don't know if I'd go quite that far... the difference is that relative to 20 years ago, South Osborne has been slowly but steadily improving, while Osborne Village has been slowly but steadily declining.

Getting back to traffic on Osborne though, I personally don't think it is THE issue because simply getting rid of cars wouldn't automatically change everything. But wardlow has a point that it is certainly one of the contributing factors to the state of affairs around there.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 4:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Haha no kidding.
Johnson Street in Victoria is beautiful, Osborne is far from beautiful.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
If a sex shop can't make it in what must surely be the singles capital of Winnipeg, then hope is fading fast.
they had a fire a few months ago and never recovered (I believe no insurance, but I'm hearing that 2nd hand)

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 4:24 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Johnson Street in Victoria is beautiful, Osborne is far from beautiful.
I think South Osbourne is very nice. Good places to eat, great neighbourhood main street. That is my favourite area of Wpg.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 4:27 PM

Quote:
I think South Osbourne is very nice. Good places to eat, great neighbourhood main street. That is my favourite area of Wpg.
The most walkable neighbourhood I've ever lived in. I don't think I'll ever live anywhere else.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
wonderfully written take on the village! could not agree more with everything you have so eloquently mentioned. even the forks can claim a bigger pull than the village now in some ways.. who woulda though that back in 2005?
forks has gone from tourist kitsch to pretty decent. all the third and bird popups, now a coal and canary store, red ember, fools and horses, passero.

there's still some really good stuff happening in ov (super deluxe, little sister) but it feels like the action is moving toward west broadway, the forks, the exchange, etc.

rents definitely play a part here. the osborne village inn, they're looking for $37 plus CAM psf for the main floor retail space. the old desart and wishes+dreams spaces are both listed for $24 psf.

compare that to great properties in the exchange, like the old Baukorb space, which they're asking $14 psf for.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 5:05 PM

south osborne is doing better in a lot of ways despite having much worse "fundamentals" as a neighbourhood in some ways (less density, more shitty street-facing parking lots, a bunch of dead spots without the possibility of continuous retail).

i know everyone blames basil, but he doesn't own the whole OV stretch, does he??

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
south osborne is doing better in a lot of ways despite having much worse "fundamentals" as a neighbourhood in some ways (less density, more shitty street-facing parking lots, a bunch of dead spots without the possibility of continuous retail).
South Osborne is good, it just lacks the critical mass needed to be a real gem of a strip.

It wouldn't take much to get the area over the top... basically this is all you'd need:

-Renovation of the semi-abandoned apartments at Morley and Osborne

-Fill in at least one or two of the small vacant lots with modest commercial buildings (e.g. next to any of Pollock Hardware, Club House Pizza, pingk)

-One decent-sized new build to take out one of the auto-dependent businesses with a huge parking lot out front... imagine a simple 4 storey condo with ground floor CRUs where Osborne Auto Centre is.

Just those three things would really build the continuity of the streetscape and beef up the area.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 6:06 PM

it looks like the 15-story tower at stradbrook across from the RT station will be going ahead.

however, it (1) won't have the townhouses, and (2) with 1.2 parking stalls per unit, it's pretty clear this isn't actually going to be very "transit oriented" development.

on the upside, they've made some changes so the parkade won't be as much of an insult to the streetscape:

"The addition of a glazed activity room and a vestibule on the ground floor west of the tower. This will extend the "active space" visible to the street and help conceal approximately 1/3 of the parkade frontage... Active outdoor space in front of the parkade. A dog run area is planned, which wil linclude seating, landscaping and trees. This will help animate/ enliven this space and its presentation to Stradbrook Avenue.... An art installation on a significant portion of the parkade façade facing Stradbrook."

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 6:17 PM

Is the parking at least within the parkade and not a surface lot? And sounds like they're trying to hide the parkade. Sounds like it anyways.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Traffic, and, more to the point, how it dominates the street, is *an* issue on Osborne for sure. The strip is bookended by two stroad-like areas (Confusion Corner to the south, and Osborne north of River) where pedestrians are an afterthought. Generations of city traffic engineers have tried to ram this traffic funnel through Osborne. No new building (or rezoning of existing buildings, I would think) could happen on Osborne without the City taking 10’-15’ off the front of the property for future road widening.

For owners and investors in existing properties, there’s no sense in spending too much on an exterior renovation if the building is just going to be demolished for an extra traffic lane someday. This may explain why Cornerstone Bar at the SW corner of River and Osborne, a great little bar inside, looks like Sage Creek-on-the-cheap on the outside; or why the great old three-storey building at the SE corner of River and Osborne hasn’t been upgraded since sometime before Seinfeld went off the air. In this way, traffic does play a role in the state of not only the street, but the buildings along it. And with vehicle traffic leaving no room in the right of way for trees, planting, benches, etc., the forelorn, crystalized-in-1995 buildings and shopfronts are more visible and tougher to ignore.

Add to this the undeniable fact that Osborne St. is no longer the city’s principle street for cool restaurants, pubs, boutique retail, yuppie housewares, etc. Over the past decade, the Exchange, South Osborne, and Sherbrook have become strong(er) draws for people wanting to wander around and shop, feel cool, or enjoy a nice night out. (Corydon is kind of hanging in there, too, more or less.) And, again, traffic’s domination comes into play: you won’t get splashed with gutter water by a racing bus on McDermot, Sherbrook, or South Osborne streets, but you certainly will on a wet night on the east side of Osborne.

After decades of being the biggest trendy/boutique/hipster/yuppie/whatever game in town, rents on Osborne are too high and many CRUs are too big for the reduced commercial demand. Property owners (mainly a small cabal of tired old holding companies) do not yet realize, or do realize but choose to ignore that this change is going on. And so a healthy transition is stunted, and “for lease” signs hang in dirty storefront windows for a long time. Small wonder most of the great new small businesses to crop up in the Village (Little Sister Coffee, Segovia, Super Deluxe Pizza, Nuburger) are not on Osborne Street.

Meanwhile, the BIZ is carrying on somewhere in the ether like nothing is going on, MIA aside from the occasional misplaced bleating in the news about homeless people.

Osborne Street is in a poor state. I say this not in an “it was cooler when I was younger” way, but as a fairly objective observation. I recently moved into the Village, and there’s many things I love about the neighbourhood, but Osborne Street itself is not one of them.
- I'd say while traffic lessens the atmosphere a bit, it's definitely not the issue. Better streetscaping, planting, and upkeep of the public and private realms of Osborne would make a big difference. There were all these improvements planned, about 1/3 of them have happened, and the ones that did look like someone who has zero design experience made the decisions: some sidewalks redone exactly as they were, a few new boring wood benches, those awful cement cylinders, and the hideous red bike racks with the outdated OV logo. Are those coloured light boxes actually done as planned?? What happened to the clock tower and plaza improvements? Can we seriously not replace the 20 year old string lights?

- Better cycling infrastructure for the whole village area does need to be a priority

- The Osborne BIZ director needs to be let go, and someone with vision and creativity brought in. It's a mess, and clear that there's no plan or vision in place.

- Cornerstone looks like that because the owners are cheap as hell. Have you seen inside or been to The Grove? They spend as little money as possible on the space, the furniture at The Grove is atrocious, and Cornerstone looks like an IKEA cafeteria. Both places have good food, and Grove is the only bar in the area so they do well, but they both have absolutely zero ambiance so I avoid going as much as possible.

- I think going through South Osborne is just as bad as the village in terms of look and feel. Any banners that somehow have managed to stay up are torn and faded. Sidewalk lamps out everywhere. Several businesses with massive parking lots. The MTS/McDonalds area kills any chance of contecting the two sides of CC well.

In much the same way as West Broadway and The Exchange have done: if you improve it they will come. I have strong beliefs that a lot of the success of The Exchange and WB have to do with the fact the city and BIZs have made significant investments in the public realm of these areas, which not only makes them a more pleasant place for people to be, but gives businesses faith that setting up shop in that area is a good decision, as it shows commitment from the city and BIZ.

Quote:

i know everyone blames basil, but he doesn't own the whole OV stretch, does he??
Yes, he owns most of the buildings on the west side between River and Stradbrook, excluding Cornerstone and Music Trader I believe.

Quote:
it looks like the 15-story tower at stradbrook across from the RT station will be going ahead.

however, it (1) won't have the townhouses, and (2) with 1.2 parking stalls per unit, it's pretty clear this isn't actually going to be very "transit oriented" development.

on the upside, they've made some changes so the parkade won't be as much of an insult to the streetscape:

"The addition of a glazed activity room and a vestibule on the ground floor west of the tower. This will extend the "active space" visible to the street and help conceal approximately 1/3 of the parkade frontage... Active outdoor space in front of the parkade. A dog run area is planned, which wil linclude seating, landscaping and trees. This will help animate/ enliven this space and its presentation to Stradbrook Avenue.... An art installation on a significant portion of the parkade façade facing Stradbrook."
That's an improvement I guess, now let's just hope the city holds them to that.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 4:25 AM

Anyone know what is happening at the lot on Clarke and Bell? A white house was torn down last week, and now that lot, along with the lot east and west of it are enclosed.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 6:05 AM

Interesting... haven't seen anything about it but that makes for a big lot. Wonder if it's related to the recent sale of the Heart & Stroke building?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpgChiro View Post
Anyone know what is happening at the lot on Clarke and Bell? A white house was torn down last week, and now that lot, along with the lot east and west of it are enclosed.
As I understand, Streetside is doing a condo development there. Three storeys, 36 units, underground parking.

*Edit* - Elevations and plans can be seen here.

Last edited by wardlow; Nov 9, 2017 at 4:03 PM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 5:05 PM

Quote:

I heard of an 18 floor residential tower in the area near Harkness waiting for final approval form city council . Is this 15 story tower you mention another one as well for the area?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 6:14 PM

Quote:
As I understand, Streetside is doing a condo development there. Three storeys, 36 units, underground parking.

*Edit* - Elevations and plans can be seen here.
Building and site plan look great for that area. Hopefully finishes don't look as cheap as they already do in the render.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Building and site plan look great for that area. Hopefully finishes don't look as cheap as they already do in the render.
Agreed. I wouldn't be opposed to something taller here, but this scale and density definitely fits with the many older walk-up apartments nearby.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 6:07 PM

If London can do it, I'm sure Osborne Village could do it. Ban vehicles from street level. Put them underground. Transform the area.

https://www.citylab.com/transportati...urce=SFTwitter

(Yes I'm comparing London and their Tube system to Winnipeg..)

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 7:49 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
If London can do it, I'm sure Osborne Village could do it. Ban vehicles from street level. Put them underground. Transform the area.
They're doing this on a street that's already has traffic restrictions similar to the Graham Ave. mall. It's not a main traffic route.

And they're not putting the vehicles underground.

What they're doing is *removing* the buses and other traffic. Funnelling passengers underground onto the existing subway line, now that the new Crossrail subway line will relieve congestion on it. While still allowing cars to cross the area above ground on cross-streets.

So if we first build a subway system that serves the entire city - one line ain't going to do it - replacing most of the buses from the Graham Ave. mall, then yes, we can do with Graham Ave what London is doing with Oxford Street.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan