HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Bacalao is closing. I always wanted to get there, but never did..

http://ntv.ca/award-winning-bacalao-...ing-its-doors/
I believe she's keeping it open until the building is sold so you still have a chance to visit! She's an amazing chef.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 3:24 AM

Bad Bones Ramen is closing at the end of the month. They are citing the cost of rent and are looking for another location. Someone on reddit said that they know the owners and already have another space lined up but cant announce it yet as the current occupant hasn't announced they are closing (whether true or not). Downtown is quickly becoming a ghost town.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla77 View Post
Bad Bones Ramen is closing at the end of the month. They are citing the cost of rent and are looking for another location. Someone on reddit said that they know the owners and already have another space lined up but cant announce it yet as the current occupant hasn't announced they are closing (whether true or not). Downtown is quickly becoming a ghost town.
I have to disagree that it's "quickly becoming a ghost town". Every time a restaurant closes, there is a reaction like this. I'm sure something will fill it's place...I'm glad it's moving (if that is in fact the case).

Also, if you haven't noticed, there is a new restaurant opening soon in the old Aqua space (Green Door). There is also a new brewpub opening on duckworth street (Bannerman Brewing Co.). So, my point is that stuff is going to close and new places will open all the time.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
I have to disagree that it's "quickly becoming a ghost town". Every time a restaurant closes, there is a reaction like this. I'm sure something will fill it's place...I'm glad it's moving (if that is in fact the case).

Also, if you haven't noticed, there is a new restaurant opening soon in the old Aqua space (Green Door). There is also a new brewpub opening on duckworth street (Bannerman Brewing Co.). So, my point is that stuff is going to close and new places will open all the time.
I agree. Vacancy rates are more than likely higher than it has been in the past, but business move in and out of downtown on a regular rate. For some reason, and maybe it's just me, the media tends to talk more about places closing up. No better news than bad news.... . As well, many businesses in the DT are smaller, independently owned, which typically have a higher failure rate. If many more businesses were closing compared to opening, I think the city and real estate owners would be doing something more.

Definitely something to keep an eye on for sure....

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 6:46 PM

If you want to know what a ghost town looks like, try and remember late 90s-mid 00s downtown.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 7:15 PM

Downtown has always been like that like forever. And when you think about it the rest of the city is like that too. Restaurants and businesses are constantly coming and going all over town, Shops in the malls are always closing and another one opening and no one really cares. But the media always plays up the downtown closing stories as it probably gets better ratings and that’s all the media cares about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
I agree. Vacancy rates are more than likely higher than it has been in the past, but business move in and out of downtown on a regular rate. For some reason, and maybe it's just me, the media tends to talk more about places closing up. No better news than bad news.... . As well, many businesses in the DT are smaller, independently owned, which typically have a higher failure rate. If many more businesses were closing compared to opening, I think the city and real estate owners would be doing something more.

Definitely something to keep an eye on for sure....

Old Posted Dec 16, 2018, 8:10 PM

This is not the normal churn of business, far from it. I've worked in the downtown core for over 20 years, and have rarely seen it this depressed - times have changed for the worse. Walk down the street, any time of day, any day of the week, and you would be hard pressed to count a dozen people.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by townie_by View Post
This is not the normal churn of business, far from it. I've worked in the downtown core for over 20 years, and have rarely seen it this depressed - times have changed for the worse. Walk down the street, any time of day, any day of the week, and you would be hard pressed to count a dozen people.
This is more what I've been noticing lately when I go downtown particularly in the evening when restaurants in particular should be hopping. Not many people around at all. I don't know if its a combination of the economy/perception of the economy, parking, snow clearing, or what. Brenda O'Reilly was on one of the news shows not long ago saying that things were getting tougher for her businesses.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 1:00 PM

This has been a long time coming for Downtown St.John's.
In general , everything Downtown is catered to Nightlife, Overpriced Restaurants and Overpriced Apparel Stores.
In this economy, people are being forced to make tough decisions where to spend their "disposable" income, or lack there of, and I guarantee you Spending $200 on a night out downtown is not high on many people's lists anymore.
George Street is so expensive these days, and these high end Restaurants are surviving off what is left of the Oil Industry .
It is an extremely tough market, and in my opinion, it is only going to get a lot worse.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
This has been a long time coming for Downtown St.John's.
In general , everything Downtown is catered to Nightlife, Overpriced Restaurants and Overpriced Apparel Stores.
In this economy, people are being forced to make tough decisions where to spend their "disposable" income, or lack there of, and I guarantee you Spending $200 on a night out downtown is not high on many people's lists anymore.
George Street is so expensive these days, and these high end Restaurants are surviving off what is left of the Oil Industry .
It is an extremely tough market, and in my opinion, it is only going to get a lot worse.
I mostly agree.

The oil industry, in relation to downtown, has really only seen one significant negative shift, and that is the move made by Suncor from 235 Water (Scotia bldg) to Kelsey drive. No other O&G related companies have really downsized, in fact most have expanded. Equinor is holding steady on staffing, Husky and Exxon have been ramping up, C-NLOPB and DNV are steady, and Chevron, Aker, and Nexen have their offices in Atlantic Place.

The real change is in the construction industry and those living in the suburbs. There is no more megaproject construction at Bull Arm, Long Harbour, and very little FIFO to Labrador. Tradespeople are reverting back to jobs off the island and I think that's where the largest negative impact originates.

On another note, I would not refer to anything George Street/pub/nightlife related as expensive. You can walk into any bar during the week and find food and drink deals. Having lived in Calgary for several years, I can say with certainty that a night out in St. John's is significantly less expensive.

With that said, most downtown restaurant and apparel prices are on par with larger cities and I think many of these shops will need to check their perception of what the downtown St. John's consumer base consists of if they wish to stay in business.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engibeer View Post
I mostly agree.

On another note, I would not refer to anything George Street/pub/nightlife related as expensive. You can walk into any bar during the week and find food and drink deals. Having lived in Calgary for several years, I can say with certainty that a night out in St. John's is significantly less expensive.
Mostly agree with all you said except for the Calgary example.
That is probably the extreme other end of the scale. For example, I've had better meals in downtown Toronto cheaper than St. John's, and lots more variety. That may be due to an abundance of ethnicity, and competition.

Also toured the entire province of NS last year, and found by far the prices lower, even in Halifax downtown as compared to NL. ; with far better variety.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post
Mostly agree with all you said except for the Calgary example.
That is probably the extreme other end of the scale. For example, I've had better meals in downtown Toronto cheaper than St. John's, and lots more variety. That may be due to an abundance of ethnicity, and competition.

Also toured the entire province of NS last year, and found by far the prices lower, even in Halifax downtown as compared to NL. ; with far better variety.

I think we're saying the same thing, I may have just worded that poorly.

Restaurant wise, I completely agree that St. John's is generally over priced for what is offered, and is lacking some variety.

In regards to the pub/nightlife scene, including alcohol and pub food, I think it is generally cheaper in St. John's than larger cities. Maybe that's simply due to the lack of craft beer options at most pubs - although I do remember mainstream beers being quite pricey at places in Calgary.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engibeer View Post
I mostly agree.

The oil industry, in relation to downtown, has really only seen one significant negative shift, and that is the move made by Suncor from 235 Water (Scotia bldg) to Kelsey drive. No other O&G related companies have really downsized, in fact most have expanded. Equinor is holding steady on staffing, Husky and Exxon have been ramping up, C-NLOPB and DNV are steady, and Chevron, Aker, and Nexen have their offices in Atlantic Place.

The real change is in the construction industry and those living in the suburbs. There is no more megaproject construction at Bull Arm, Long Harbour, and very little FIFO to Labrador. Tradespeople are reverting back to jobs off the island and I think that's where the largest negative impact originates.

With that said, most downtown restaurant and apparel prices are on par with larger cities and I think many of these shops will need to check their perception of what the downtown St. John's consumer base consists of if they wish to stay in business.

Exxon will be leaving Cabot Place for Hebron Way. The Passport Canada office in the TD Building will also be moving to Hebron Way.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2018, 4:49 PM

Just saw on CBC news feed that Dooly’s on Water Street is closing permanently. I guess pool halls have lost their lustre in St. John’s.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...oses-1.4959947

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 4:11 AM

Bad Bones looks to be moving into the Fifth Ticket/Old Bianca's location

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Bad Bones looks to be moving into the Fifth Ticket/Old Bianca's location
I think this may be inaccurate - they're moving into the Tavola.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by townie_by View Post
I think this may be inaccurate - they're moving into the Tavola.
You're right. I thought I had found the location of the "B", but I see it's in fact right there outside Tavola.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2018, 2:43 PM

The Tavola space makes much more sense. The former Fifth Ticket is a big space. I'm trying to figure out why the B is there. It was the Peppermill before Tavola. What was it before that?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 4:27 AM

I thought Tavola was just closed for renos?? Is that closed permanently?? Or moving??

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabethf1985 View Post
I thought Tavola was just closed for renos?? Is that closed permanently?? Or moving??
Their twitter page posted in September that they were closing for renos and aiming to reopen in December. As usual, renos take longer than expected, so I'm guessing there should be some update soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's