HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 9:03 AM

I agree. I think it was job security to build the same two lane 410/I10 interchange. I think it was better before.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2004 View Post
The SA population has grown, what, by 100,000 in the last 20 years, while Austin has grown much faster, beyond what anyone would think - because they are more innovative and willing to take chances, and they know that if they want a continued successful city wherein people want to live and work, they must change and adapt to new, ever-changing environments.
I will pick apart the rest of your comments in a moment, but I had to correct you on this. SA's (city) population was 935,933 in 1990 and 1,327,407 in 2010; a difference of almost 400,000. Austins (city) population was 472,020 in 1990 and was 790,390 in 2010; a difference of about 318,000. Percentage-wise, yes, much faster; but not so much in total. If we go by percentage, Schertz outgrew Austin and therefore knows what it takes to grow "fast."
SA has a density of 3,400 sq/mi while Austin has a density of 2,653 sq/mile. I only mention city because you mentioned centralization, which would mostly consist of the central city, which is why I didn't count metro #'s or size of suburbs.
The city built the police hq's to house and to abandon the old building and make room for a new courthouse, which will be alot larger than the old one. They moved out mostly for the fact that it is cheaper to build than it is to renovate. There is space for growth on the southern side of the lot if they need to add more sq. ft. later.
I also don't get your point besides needless ranting; if a city was more central, why would it need more people sitting in the police admin building DT? Isn't the point of higher densities the fact that you need LESS services to cover the same area?
But this is all pointless in for the sake of argument of public or government offices. Having worked in the public realm 1/3 of my life, I know that you can't build "extra space" just for the heck of it, unless and until there is a justification for it. For example, BAMC, or now SAMMC; they built a new hospital which added hundreds of thousands of sq. ft. of space to the hospital which made room for a couple of thousand of new employees yet until those people actually started to work there was there a "justification" for spending millions on a parking garage to house their cars. So where did all of those new workers park? Well they had to park and shuttle from Ft. Sam to BAMC until the garage opened for use. Common sense would say "build the garage first" right? But in the world of contracts with taxpayer dollars attached to it, you can't use common sense and assumptions. As for your traffic example; you can't build 10 lanes everywhere because it will someday become congested, you have to be stuck in traffic for a long time before an extra lane is put in.
I'm guessing the same thing for UTSA; they build a garage to house cars so that they can build on a parking lot, but they still have to build a parking lot to cover the spaces that the construction will take out of commission while housing all of the equipment.
This isn't only SA, it happens like this everywhere public dollars are used. Yes SA has serious work to do DT but it isn't all hopeless; there are over 1,200 units being built right now DT and that's just part of it. SA is looking to spend many, many millions to improve DT in the near future so its not like it is just being ignored.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 8:11 PM

@car2004
A lot to pick through and kind of all over the place.

There may have been legitimate reasons as to why the new Police and Fire headquarters did not choose a smaller footprint and build on top of parking. I'm guessing it was probably cost related.

I seriously doubt there is a 2-story parking garage on UTSA that cost 50 million.

Valero built their campus when they were reaping in record profits. They could afford to build a nice campus and kudos to them for doing so. However, if you think they would consider tearing down one of their existing buildings on campus to expand, you're delusional.

Tesoro did not choose to build where they are (1604 & 281) because they were afraid their design would not be approved. They most likely decided to build closer to where the majority of their employees were and because it was cheaper.

San Antonio's population has grown much more than 100,000, relatively the same (if not more) than Austin. Austin will have a higher growth rate because it was smaller to begin with. It is easier for Austin's city government to get things done because they do not have member districts, so they can target city needs without having to appease all districts. Having UT in town helped in many ways, including having a more educated work force. Also, the citizens demanded more from their government that helped with the quality of life. What really helped was to have local success stories of Dell and Whole Foods. Those attracted other companies, which in turn brought in higher paying jobs, which in turn raised the tax base.

San Antonio was kind of late to the party in the move to suburbia. Their plan for growing the tax base has been annexation which has spread the city further north and west. I agree that they should quit doing this and turn their energies on rebuilding the core.

The closing of retail stores is a national trend (Best Buy is having trouble competing with Amazon). Many of the stores have grown beyond what they can really handle and they will close less profitable stores. Besides, all of the stores you mentioned are chains and do not really support the local community in a way that home grown retail would. Most of the money spent in those stores leaves the city (besides payroll). San Antonio is lucky to have HEB which stays in the city.

You really can't compare San Antonio to New York City; two different worlds.

And finally, 2 lanes should be plenty for an interchange. If there is backup it's probably because of yield signs. Learn to merge.

Last edited by kornbread; Apr 2, 2012 at 8:23 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 5:03 PM
Endless Moments...

I totally understand car2004's points. Things have been much slower to happen in and around DT the last couple of decades and the majority of growth is sectioned in the far north part of the city were having a car is a must.

I know its easy to compare one city to another especially when others seem to be changing literally over night. SA was very late to the whole DT game. Its come a long way and I am curious to see which way it will go. I hope it goes well. I am all for 30, 40, and 50 plus towers all over DT, is it gonna happen i have no idea, but it would be nice.

All in all I understand the frustration. I just hope with all these new plans and initiatives we will start seeing some nice changes to the urban core...

Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 8:07 PM
Paradise

I honestly will take Midtown, River North, and Southtown booms if it meant we got to see a few developments in the very central core. But they have to be some real nice projects.

Of course I'd love for all of downtown to blossom.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 1:35 PM

According to the DT Blog a coffee shop chain based out of Italy will be joining the Mexican cafe on Houston St. Specializing in espresso, it'll be their only U.S. location outside the Chicago area.

Houston is the best looking street downtown, I'm glad it's finally coming to life. Now if we can just get a few new downtown (proper) apartment buildings, we might be able to fill the street with lots of sidewalk cafes full of lively locals and music.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/downtow...atrol-station/

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTexas View Post
Houston is the best looking street downtown, I'm glad it's finally coming to life. Now if we can just get a few new downtown (proper) apartment buildings, we might be able to fill the street with lots of sidewalk cafes full of lively locals and music.
[/url]
I always thought this would be a good candidate for street closure; giving it a marketplace feel.

With it's narrow streets and wide sidewalks it is a good candidate for sidewalk cafes, shops, etc. Although because there are only 2-lanes, traffic gets backed-up many times and it makes it less enjoyable sitting next to idling cars and their fumes.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 4:45 PM

Municipal Auditorium Crane

Anyone notice the new crane that went up yesterday.

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 5:19 PM
Endless Moments...

Yawn. Knock Knock is anyone alive in San Antonio. Hello, Hello...

So um I have to flat out say that I am disappointed that there are no major developments being proposed especially in regards to DT. I know there is stuff on Broadway but i am talking skyline changing stuff. I wont mention any other cities around that have stuff going on cause we all know whats happening all around us but i just have to ask what is the deal.

Do I need to break out a shovel and break ground on my own tower project, can you imagine that, lol - however I would probably be more interested in being the crane operator then digging a hole.

Anyhow this post is not a city vs city, i am just what is the deal. I really hope something comes out soon so we can get some chatter going and we can all be happy.

It also seems that others are thinking the same as well.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/downtow...ice-high-rise/

Hmm maybe its the catalyst to start something. One can only hope...
Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 1:46 AM

I agree! San Antonio is a charming city considering its size and if there is a demand, whether it be residential or office, I don't see why the city should strike down a decent, sleek tower. Allowing progress does not mean San Antonio has to forsake itself. Actually, I'd love to see the city contrast its vast historical presence with a new, modern, progressive version of San Antonio! It does not need to be a skyscraper boom of Austin- magnitude, but Id enjoy seeing San Antonio land a few more towers.

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 8:50 AM

With this announcement, Baptist is the only major player who hasn't announced a big investment in their downtown campus. If they're bracing for an increased demand downtown, I assume that means they're betting downtown housing is going to boom.

Quote:
Methodist Healthcare plans $44 million expansion in Downtown San Antonio
Health care system sees growth ahead in center city

San Antonio Business Journal by W. Scott Bailey

Methodist Healthcare System, bracing for an anticipated sharp increase in demand for services in the center city, is preparing to make the next move on that front. It plans to break ground this summer on a major expansion of its Metropolitan Methodist Hospital...

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantoni...4-million.html

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTexas View Post
With this announcement, Baptist is the only major player who hasn't announced a big investment in their downtown campus. If they're bracing for an increased demand downtown, I assume that means they're betting downtown housing is going to boom.
I could also be increased demand due to Santa Rosa relocating adult services out of DT.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted May 14, 2012, 3:32 PM
Endless Moments...

Oh well that is something. Hmm looks 3 maybe 4 stories. But good to see. Of course taller is always welcome.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2012, 8:54 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
That's the new SAPD/SAFD HQ. Not a residential building.
That's funny. I suppose it's a good thing the cops don't have a nice view. It encourages them to work and not stare out the window. I'm pretty sure I would if there was a view.

Thanks for the updates, guys. I've been without a computer since September, so it's nice to catch up!

Hopefully I'll be in San Antonio next month, and I will surely take some photos.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 1:19 AM
SA 24th largest city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex01 View Post
Yawn. Knock Knock is anyone alive in San Antonio. Hello, Hello...

So um I have to flat out say that I am disappointed that there are no major developments being proposed especially in regards to DT. I know there is stuff on Broadway but i am talking skyline changing stuff. I wont mention any other cities around that have stuff going on cause we all know whats happening all around us but i just have to ask what is the deal.

Do I need to break out a shovel and break ground on my own tower project, can you imagine that, lol - however I would probably be more interested in being the crane operator then digging a hole.

Anyhow this post is not a city vs city, i am just what is the deal. I really hope something comes out soon so we can get some chatter going and we can all be happy.

It also seems that others are thinking the same as well.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/downtow...ice-high-rise/

Hmm maybe its the catalyst to start something. One can only hope...
please take your fantasies somewhere else.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 1:21 AM
SA 24th largest city

blue star

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 2:52 PM
Endless Moments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxus View Post
please take your fantasies somewhere else.
Whats your problem. I am just gonna boo you. Boooo...

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 1:32 PM

This is awesome news for new residential development in downtown!!!

From mysa.com:

Council backs incentives policy on housing

“There is certainty now in our incentive policy,” Mayor Julián Castro said. “My hope is that this will unleash a floodgate of great vibrant projects downtown, and I'm confident that we'll create the 7,500 more units we're looking for.”

A project's characteristics would also play a factor. For example, a project could get a larger loan if it was a high-rise or a rehabilitation of a historic structure or if it included housing for college students.

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...#ixzz1xm7aOwm0

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 1:44 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex01 View Post
Whats your problem. I am just gonna boo you. Boooo...
Please take your "booos" somewhere else?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 9:32 PM
Endless Moments...

Just gonna ignore you. Cause honestly I could care less what you think.

Now for something positive.

Check out the link below.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/realest...isfair/http://

It has a survey about Hemisfair Park. You know for those who have fantasies about DT...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio