HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Are downtown Winnipeg's roadways being used as crosstown routes for trucks?
Without a doubt. To a greater extent than you would see in pretty well any major Canadian city.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 6:54 PM

I didn't realize that was even a question. 110% yes. Not trying to be rude. I constantly see CN intermodal trucks navigating P&M. Coming from Provencher. Got to be the worst possible set-up for truckers, but that's what they got. Further reason not to get rid of Louise Bridge and possibly change to a truck route.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 7:44 PM

^ A rhetorical question..what I was trying to do is get people to question why this is the case and why it is permitted. What is wrong with local access only for the central area?

And of course we need the Louise Bridge, unless it's replaced with a new bridge parallel to the CP mainline that connects directly with the Nairn Overpass.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
^ A rhetorical question..what I was trying to do is get people to question why this is the case and why it is permitted. What is wrong with local access only for the central area?
What not limit local access to the central area of Winnipeg?

Simply put as a city we are trying to get there but building out the inner ring road network is going to take time.

That means telling your councilor that CPT, William Clement and the ring road network are a priority for you.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
Weird, here I am telling everyone how great Bannatyne/Arthur/Notre Dame/Garry is and that I can't wait for Garry to be finished south to Assiniboine. I've started using it for grocery runs to the Osborne Safeway on a pretty regular basis. Looking forward to being able to take it in both directions.
Bannatyne and McDermot lanes are mostly great (just need to put back up the NROR signs at Main, it's brutal), and I imagine Garry will be great – but the design of the connection from McDermot to Garry is so confusing and it's designed for vehicle scale, not human.

Next time you're near there on bike, start at Bannatyne and take a left on Arthur to go to Garry. Take notes, haha.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 5:49 AM

Also, as noted in the OV thread, Money Mart has been gutted – looks like they're getting ready to tear down and finish the AT connection.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 3:17 PM

Research Offers Financial Case for Big City Bike Lanes
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bik...alth-1.5165954

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 3:19 PM

So Saskatoon started on a project to build protected bike lanes similar to what is happening in Winnipeg. The project was poorly received, similar to what I have heard is happening in Winnipeg, and yes even in the cycling community.

Interestingly, Saskatoon has already started removing their protected bike lanes.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...anes-1.5171994

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 3:45 PM
surely you agree with me

^ it was a poorly planned pilot project lane that was universally hated by cyclists right from the start. They are building other lanes elsewhere.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 6:38 PM

If it was anything like the joke on Pembina, I understand why cyclists would be angry. I wish I could throttle whoever thought that was acceptable.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 2:11 PM

I was on the bike path on Assiniboine and I was passed from behind by a 360 lb total weight e-bike doing 30 plus kilometers per hour. I was doing maybe 3 kph and he came with-in 2 feet of me. I guess I need a helmet.

The police said it's out of their hands. It's MPIC that is to blame.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
I was on the bike path on Assiniboine and I was passed from behind by a 360 lb total weight e-bike doing 30 plus kilometers per hour. I was doing maybe 3 kph and he came with-in 2 feet of me. I guess I need a helmet.

They have a huge problem with this in Europe right now. I don't know how it will turn out.

Cycling in general has two different sort of categories, I think. Commuters/road bikes and leisure cyclists. I saw a guy in the park doing 30km/h with his road bike on a path and I thought someone was going to die.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 3:46 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
They have a huge problem with this in Europe right now. I don't know how it will turn out.

Cycling in general has two different sort of categories, I think. Commuters/road bikes and leisure cyclists. I saw a guy in the park doing 30km/h with his road bike on a path and I thought someone was going to die.
What constitutes a road bike for you?
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
What constitutes a road bike for you?
drop handle bars

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 4:26 PM
BANNED

^ I have no problems sharing lanes with e-bikes, they need to use their bells though and slow down when passing. it's also going to be necessary when having uni-directional bike lanes to make them wide enough for passing.. some of the lanes through the exchange are wide enough but not all of them.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 4:38 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
drop handle bars
So you think that a guy riding his 4lb road bike is going to kill someone...?

If you knock over anyone at any speed and they hit their head they all have a more or less equal chance of being killed. A guy riding his road bike might be a slight bit more of a risk but death, that's a wee bit of a stretch m8
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
So you think that a guy riding his 4lb road bike is going to kill someone...?

If you knock over anyone at any speed and they hit their head they all have a more or less equal chance of being killed. A guy riding his road bike might be a slight bit more of a risk but death, that's a wee bit of a stretch m8
Figure of speech. But seriously, a 200lb person going 30km/h is a realistic threat to a pedestrian on an AT path.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 8:07 PM

Quote:
drop handle bars
Drop handle bars + thin tires + rider dressed like he's in the Tour de France...

Seriously though, you hardly ever see someone riding a road bike who isn't in the uniform for some reason.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Drop handle bars + thin tires + rider dressed like he's in the Tour de France...

Seriously though, you hardly ever see someone riding a road bike who isn't in the uniform for some reason.
Watch out for this guy on the Northeast Pioneers Greenway... he's a menace!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post

1. Is it possible to bike that slow without falling over? The average human walking speed at cross walks is 5km/h.

2. The average ebike weighs 50lbs. The person riding was 310lbs? Could an ebike carrying a 300+ lber even get to that speed?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan