HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 3:50 AM

Austin: Fifth Street Commons

I saw this article in the Chronicle mention a development called Fifth Street Commons, but this is the first I've heard of it. Does anyone know any details about it?

http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrob...d=oid%3A441522

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 1:41 PM

I have always felt that this was good real estate

Here's the retail leasing flyer PDF

http://www.directdevelopment.biz/pro...et_5-12-06.pdf

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDoss View Post
I have always felt that this was good real estate

Here's the retail leasing flyer PDF

http://www.directdevelopment.biz/pro...et_5-12-06.pdf
First I've heard of it too, which is odd since I'm still on OWANA's list (still own a condo there). Would be very nice; one of the things we pushed for very hard in their neighborhood plan was substantial VMU on 5th street. I'd be a bit leery of the promise of a signalized intersection at West Lynn; we tried very hard to get that done as well (bus stops in area) and city staff was disproportionately unwilling.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 4:21 PM

Is this a good location for retail? The new development just down the street near Mopac seems to be sucking wind. Is 184 parking spots is enough? One restaurant can eat those up in a hurry.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
Is this a good location for retail? The new development just down the street near Mopac seems to be sucking wind. Is 184 parking spots is enough? One restaurant can eat those up in a hurry.
The one down near Mopac is a very poor location - it's difficult to get to unless you're getting off Mopac in just the right way - most people who don't live down there aren't familiar enough with navigating that spaghetti-bowl to actually even have experienced how to get in (and those who have know it's a pain). At 5th/West Lynn, assuming they make West Lynn two-way as advertised between 5th and 6th, a lot of those issues go away. I'd want to see Campbell signalized too (an even higher priority in our neighborhood plan) but again, the city staff would nix this (too close to the Mopac ramps, they'd say).

Old Posted Feb 3, 2007, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
I was walking past the other day and I stuck my head in the development down the street.
This is the place that is being built out right now
"Third Base Austin"
http://www.thirdbaseaustin.com/

I was glad to see that the restaurant is not a lame chain.
It's owned by some local Austin guys. The finish out on the interior looks like it is going to be top notch.

I think it will be a good little neighborhood restaurant. They are set to open any day now.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin