HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: How many people will inhabit the Winnipeg CMA in 2026?
850,000-874,999 4 9.09%
875,000-889,000 9 20.45%
890,000-904,999 17 38.64%
905,000+ 14 31.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Winnipeg Transit might work for you short term. I would hate the split shifts but I'd do it if I needed a job quickly.

https://info.winnipegtransit.com/en/...urly-pay-rate/
Paid to get a class 2 license with air enforcement. Not quick though. Probably 6 weeks to start, but better than the 6 months it used to take.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
For me the next question is "why?". Why do people still rush to places where many of them will never be able to afford a house?

I suppose if one's career is only supported in a certain size of city, or immediate access to an ocean or mountain is essential to someone's lifestyle, then one's choices are limited. After that, is image/reputation of the city the guiding factor in people's decisions?

Pretty much any sizeable city will have good and bad areas where crime and poverty are more or less evident. Most cities will have the usual complement of stores, restaurants, movie theatres, and the basic amenities, though the availability of top-of-the-line concert experiences may be limited. I think night-life exists in some degree or another in every sizeable city, though where one must go to find it probably differs.

I guess Im thinking like an old fart instead of a young single looking for excitement, but it seems that we spend more of our lives either at work or at home, rather than in nightclubs or restaurants. To me, "affordable housing" isn't damning with faint praise, as it were. It should be a huge positive in choosing a place to live. But, then again, "old fart" thinking, I guess...
Even if your job falls outside of those that can only be supported in big cities, it might be the amount of opportunity within a larger urban centre that draws more people in.

To be able to find a job in my field at my pay grade, there are at most 4 organizations in the province that would offer that (including my current org.) unless I opened my own business and operated as an independent contractor. In the GTA, GVA, Montreal, and even Calgary there are probably dozens that could provide a similar role and salary (relative to COL). Yes more people to compete with, but at least there are more opportunities to try in case you fall flat on your face in the first job interview.

I think there's also the challenge with uprooting yourself once you're past your mid twenties that really dampens how much people want to move. More local family, friends all add to that resistance, and if you're married you have to consider their ability to find jobs, and any childcare if you have kids.

You made good points about city amenities and night life. Once you get north of ~150-200k, all the basics are covered. Night life might play into a young person's decision for what university to attend, but I don't think anyone past 25 would move cities just because it has better top end entertainment options. Personally, if I would find myself craving top-end night-life or better concerts, I'll just plan a vacation.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 11:32 PM

Off topic, personal thanks to anyone who made suggestions regarding my quest for employment. I worked my first day, and they already want me to do overtime tomorrow, so I take it I left a good impression.

Interesting tidbit on Indeed.ca. Lady that hired me had said that she received over 80 applications for the position, when she put up an ad on Indeed, and was overwhelmed. Phoned 5 people for interviews. Only one showed up, and did not even come back for a follow-up.

That is truly bizarre. I'm beginning to think Indeed's virtual monopoly on the advertised job market has turned into a really bad thing. I can see why ppl get frustrated. But anyway cheers to all who helped!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
Off topic, personal thanks to anyone who made suggestions regarding my quest for employment. I worked my first day, and they already want me to do overtime tomorrow, so I take it I left a good impression.

Interesting tidbit on Indeed.ca. Lady that hired me had said that she received over 80 applications for the position, when she put up an ad on Indeed, and was overwhelmed. Phoned 5 people for interviews. Only one showed up, and did not even come back for a follow-up.

That is truly bizarre. I'm beginning to think Indeed's virtual monopoly on the advertised job market has turned into a really bad thing. I can see why ppl get frustrated. But anyway cheers to all who helped!

Best of luck in your new endeavours! The market is squirrelly these days.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post

Best of luck, great to hear. As a hiring manager, I find Indeed to not always be great. it screws up formatted resumes to a point where some arent legilable. when you get 100+ people aply, those are easy to ignore. if you know the company hiring, i recommend going directly to their site and apply

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan